[Poll] Should we make new users either view a info thread and/or take an aptitude test before entry?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Biff627, Jun 23, 2016.

?

Should we make new users either view a info thread or take an aptitude test before entry?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. No, i like noob threads

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Stupid idea

28 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Biff627
    OP

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Move this thread if its in the wrong place (most likely is)
    I think it would be a good idea to make new accounts that are made to either view a page that states the yes's and no's currently on dilemas at hand with or to make them take some sort of quiz to see if they are capable of actually entering this community without posting things that have been asked about 1000 times so far.

Ideas so far
    ●First 100 posts have to be authorized
    ●Refering to other threads before they actually post their thread.
    ●A forced, step-by-step tutorial explaining how to hack your 3DS, how to downgrade, how to set up a CFW, and how to set up A9LH

Last edited by Biff627, Jun 23, 2016
    TheNerdWIzard likes this.

2. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Yeah, make them try and answer frequently asked questions, and if they fail tell them the right answer

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Those type of ideas sound good and feel good, but they reduce forum traffic and site admins don't like that.

4. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    The main problem is not the noobs, but the spam.

TechyTurtle likes this.
  5. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Yeah if you're talking about this because of the petermary fiasco he actually knew it was impossible to downgrade and have 11.0 cfw but he just kept going so this isn't very effective in this cases :unsure:

6. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    What if I don't use GBATemp for 3DS hacking? Why would I have to answer stuff I don't care about?

cearp likes this.
  7. Filo97

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    they also don't like spam
    spam is MOSTLY made by noobs (i want to make sure that the word MOSTLY gets higligted)

8. Filo97

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    only a quiz that appears when you first browse the 3ds section with an account

Joel16 likes this.
  9. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    they like ad revenue more than they dislike "spam" -- if that's what you call noobs asking dumb questions.

10. alevan

alevan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2014
    Romania
    Ok. Then we have to have an aptitude test for CFW users. If they troll in a GW topic, they should answer 5 hard CFW programming question. If one of them is wrong, let's throw bricks at them. And I mean A9LH bricked consoles.

Minnow, Boogieboo6 and zoogie like this.
  11. Biff627
    OP

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Thr bricks were mostly user error. Yes theres always room for random unknown bricks, but not the same as gateway bricking people. Trolls and noobs are different in a sense, trolls know what they are doing and noobs are uninformed

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Noobs are going to be noobs, they will either learn or get bored and leave. There's nothing that can really change that.

13. Biff627
    OP

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Nope, just overall threads being made that have been answered alot and can be found easily. The piter dilemma I ignored.

14. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    It's easy just make this site like every other site where people's first 100 posts have to be authorised by a mod before they display on the site.

Returnofganon, Joel16 and Biff627 like this.
  15. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    Unpopular opinion: Instead of always starting a shitstorm in a redundant thread made by a noob asking about installing NDS CIAs for example, why can't we just give them a quick straight answer? That way these threads would disappear out of sight pretty quickly. The only reason why such threads get so much attention is because they're blown so out of proportion because they always initiate a 2 page spanning public shaming of the OP.

MakkipMaster, zezzo, SG6000 and 6 others like this.
  16. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    It depends what you class a spam.

Many existing members post a lot of useless stuff just taking threads off topic, or simply bumping noob threads causing them to end up multiple pages long, with nothing constructive added.

17. MdKarel

MdKarel Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Why isn't there just a Q&A section where people can place their questions? Works fine on XDA.

18. Joel16

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    If you don't use it or don't care about it then why are you even here at this section. Simply don't vote.
    Besides I'm pretty sure they're wanting to add this restriction to the 3DS section only. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Joel16, Jun 23, 2016
  19. LinkFan16

LinkFan16 I link them all

Mar 15, 2009
    Gambia, The
    The thing is, many of the (mostly newer) people don't even think about looking for the info / the answers they search for on their own or are afraid of doing something wrong in the process. Even with the sticky posts and tutorials on top of the forum section, people either do a great job at ignoring these (maybe not even on purpose) or sometimes those stickies are outdated as hell. I also think that the sticky posts are not marked good enough to be seen by people. I woudl suggest adding a colorful tag or something along those lines to make them stand out more. But even then, some people still won't read those. I cannot and probably will never understand the people who join a board like this but don't put any effort into actually reading some of the content that has already been provided by other members in the past. It's like going to a library, grabbing a bunch of books and then asking the person behind the counter to tell them what's written in those books. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Joel16 likes this.
  20. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    I do care and use this board, I'm just speaking of those who don't. The OP made it sound like it was a requirement to create a new account. Not a requirement to use the boards.

Still, I'm not fond of a "test new users" idea. I would rather implement a message that appears before creating a topic saying "Are you having troubles with ______? Maybe your problem is already solved in these threads:" and link some of the pinned posts. And put a "don't show this again" box. That way new users will be aware that there are threads about solving basic issues.

Farian and Joel16 like this.