Homebrew [POLL] Official ports of open source games

Are you interessted in official ports of open source games?

• Yes, I'm interessted and I would also support it on Kickstarter

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Yes, I'm interessted, but I would only support the final products

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • No, I'm not interessted

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys,

I would like to ask you people out there, if you are interested in official ports of open source games like Teeworlds for the 3ds and maybe also the WiiU (I only have minimal knowledge about the WiiU system).
This would mean that they get released to the eshop (planned is for free) after the porting is done.
It would also be helpful to know, if you people would support projects like this on platforms like Kickstarter.

There are many things that need to be checked before its possible to say, if a specific port is possible.
for example there are licenses that need to be checked, because it's for example not possible to simply release the source at the end of development, because it would leak sdk information (It's at least what I think).
It's also not only the games license that need to get checked, but also the licenses of the used libraries need get checked for this.
Also its not allowed to communicate with other platforms without Nintendos permission, so Nintendo would need to permit it every time a game gets ported.

If there is enough interesst in supporting it on Kickstarter, I would try to get enough money to make it as my main job for the next time.
After porting, I would release the games for free, and maybe add some buyable in games items like skins to them, to allow the porting of other games in the future.
I don't know yet how long it would take to port them, but I think it should get slightly faster after some ports are finished.

Also I didn't knew where the best place for a poll like this would be, so I choose this area.

Edit: I choosed to not do this project this way, because it would have been a realy big risk, but maybe I will work on it in my spare time, which also means, that you could not expect a release in the near future.

Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Already asked questions:

Q: So you want to make money from other peoples work?
A: No, porting and supporting applications is work too. And because I want to make it my main job for the next time I would need money to live and get the Dev units to be able to release them on the eshop.
Depending on the game, I need to do different thinks to port them to the 3DS. For example I need to adjust the controls, modify textures and models, try to do speed optimizations, port librarys and more.
I will also try to make the libraries I ported, available to other dev with an Nintendo Developer ID, so it would make it easier for other people to make and port games too.

Q: But why port games, when you could make your own games?
A: While I have some Ideas for my own games, they are to big projects for me atm. But if I port many different games, I would be able to see different Engines and get much experience to be able to make bigger projects real in the future

Q: But shouldn't you ask the original devs before?
A: Yes, and I will do it, when I start to do it realy, but first I want to get some feedback, because it would be much work to check all the licenses and, talk to the dev and communicate with nintendo to allow multi platform communication.

Q: I heard about a project about the bootrom, where a guy simply run away with the money
A: I think you are meaning the 3ds fundraiser. But since I would do it using kickstarter, and not on a simple paypal donation, I would use my real name and my real informations, so its not that easy for me to do something like that.
Also I'm not a completely unknown community member, so maybe I already earned some trust.

Q: But what did you do to be not completely unknown community member?
A: While I have not release that much, I put much work in my projects to try to make them as sable as possible.
My currently released projects include the Free-Multi-Patcher, BootCTR9 and the Pokemon Multi Cheat Plugin.

Q: About what kind of port are we talking.
A: At the moment I'm checking out Teeworlds, but I would make a poll (maybe backers only), to decide which games should be done in which order.

Q: But wouldn't it be illegal to release them, because of the SDK?
A: No, because I have a Nintendo Developer ID, so I'm able to use the SDK and release them on the eshop.

What would be the plan
Currently im trying to get some generell feedback.
Based on this feedback I would start to make a mare detailed plan, and start contacting the developers of games, and if needed I would also contact the developers of the used libraries.
After this I would start to create the Kickstarter campaign, to get the money I need for the developing process.
While the Kickstarter campaign is running I would start porting the first game (maybe Teeworlds), because I think it would need the most time, because I would have no base for the used libraries.
After the first project is finished, I would submit it to Nintendo, and I would try to make the source for all ported libraries, and maybe also the games source, available to all in the nintendo developer portal. And start the first project voted by the backers before.

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have heard of a similar project about bootroms that ended up with the guy(s) taking all the money and never came back...
I think you are meaning the 3ds fundraiser.
I know that there are black sheeps, that why I added the only the final product option. But I'm not completely unknown to the community, so there are maybe some people trusting me, even I it's a project that could need money. :)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Exactly what kind of ports are we talking about?
Doom? Wolfenstein? Duke Nukem? Quake?
The Wii U is in desperate need of a Doom port with the gamepad as the map and inventory/HUD screen :P

Reactions: Kippykip

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Exactly what kind of ports are we talking about?
Doom? Wolfenstein? Duke Nukem? Quake?
The Wii U is in desperate need of a Doom port with the gamepad as the map and inventory/HUD screen :P
At the moment im looking into teeworlds, but in generell I would make a poll, where people could submit ideas and vote for them, and after that I would try to do the most voted ones.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Or port them using the sdk and sell them on the eshop :rofl:
Thats my idea, sell simple dlc (like skins) to finance the work on porting, while making the game free on the eshop. That's why nintendo would need to permit multi device communication :)

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But at least, ask original creators before, it's a common sense if you plan to sell or make money from their free work
Yes, that's one of the things I would need to do, together with checking the licenses and possible communication with Nintendo.
And because it would be some work, I wanted to ask if people are interested in something like this, before really starting to do it.

kristiansja

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i dont think a kickstarter would be totally leagal since its most likely made with an illegal sdk (if you arent making it with the official sdk you bought ofc)

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've ported games to the 3DS so I know how much work is needed. Why don't you just make your own games?
Its a target for later to make my own games, because all of my ideas for games are to big for me atm.
Also this would allow me to see many different engines, while people would get ports of games they want.

i dont think a kickstarter would be totally leagal since its most likely made with an illegal sdk (if you arent making it with the official sdk you bought ofc)
Since I meant to release them for free on the eshop, it should be legal, but I would need to get the permissions to do this without the need to release the source and earn money using some additional contend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.