• Total voters

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Music is amazing but personal taste in music can be drastic. A story can be told with words but in the end as I see it the voice is but another instrument. So much emotion can given even without words. I personally care for music that has no lyrics or that's in a foreign language as I just want to listen and enjoy the song, normally when theirs lyrics I tend to overthink them and don't truly enjoy it but everyone is different which is why I'm curious what your opinion is.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm down for all kinds to be honest. But if I do have to choose, I choose lyrics. If it's a really powerful song, the lyrics can be the tiny spark that makes it truly explode! BUT it can at the same time be the tiny spark that ruins it all.

Some artists have such good lyrics and vocals, that it would be unthinkable to have it instrumental. Cursive, Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley and Son, Ambulance comes to mind.

I do see vocals as another instrument though, which is especially true for some Sigur Rós songs where Jónsi sings in a made up language, just to get the sounds like an instrument, not to put meaning with words.
Another example for me is another favorite band of mine, envy. The singer preforms spoken word pieces in Japanese which I don't understand well enough to grasp... and then he screams in Japanese. Not growling, but screaming. At first I was put off by it, but it has grown on me a lot, and I basically see it as an instrument with an effect. Like a clean guitar and an guitar with overdrive / distortion, I see screaming vocals like a distorted instrument.

Then we have some instrumental post rock like Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Mono... Or even Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

So it all depends on the mood, the song, the genre and what I feel at that very moment, if I prefer lyrics or not :P

Reactions: VinsCool

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If I hear a song for the first time, I can make up about 90% of the lyrics.
Then again, most videos on YT always come with lyrics in the vid.
It's just how Post-hardcore works ;p

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is all good except growling -- many times I sit there wanting some nice technical fast paced music so I put on the metal stream/playlist/whatever and it starts out doing well, then growling vocals kick in and I get bored. Exception to my exception being Tom Waits.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
hmm for me it varies.

If i am listening to rock music then i definitely will be on the lookout for cool sounding lyrics like:
"Hope dies, and you wander
The otherworld, it makes you
Dreams, they rip asunder
The otherworld, it hates you"
And therefore i am likely to listen to rock music that has lyrics in it since i find the words that are in them quite profound.

However, if i am listening to love, West coast rap/ Gangsta rap or RnB then i would watch the music videos or listen to the music without any lyrics.

But if i was listening to foreign music that is in languages like Japanese/Chinese/Arabic or Vietnamese then i wouldn't prefer lyrics. The reason being since i wouldnt really understand what is being said or i find the instruments or something else in the song that has captivated my attention.(something besides the lyrics basically)

Music transcends languages in my opinion and thus knowing what the lyrics say or mean isnt really a big deal to me.

Last edited by Abu_Senpai,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
If I had to choose just one, lyrics. There's a lot of emotion that can be conveyed through instruments, but add in melody and meaningful words and you have something even more beautiful. For standalone music, I'd absolutely take lyrics over just instrumental. There's a time and a place for instrumental for me -- usually when doing other things, like studying or playing a game.

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind lyrics sometimes like with NOMA Brain Power and Aqua Road(sonic forces song) but when it comes to some other songs well....I played and enjoyed this song a whole lot till I found it on YouTube, and knowing the name of the song and the lyrics I can't help but think about whats being said and don't real have that fun of a time with it anymore :/

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted depends, since It depends what the music is in. Typically in movies and video games I'm against music with lyrics. Otherwise if I'm listening to the radio or Spotify I usually listen to music with lyrics, except for when I very occasionally listen to something like John Williams (which is movie/ tv music).

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It really depends.

In some songs, the voice power combined to the melody is almost mystical, the voice, lyrics become an instrument, that could give a message, or, bring the emotion through tones.
On the other hand, intrumentation alone could bring the same sort of message through complex note patterns, and harmonies. It really depends on the song. With or without lyrics, it would be amazing if the musicians and the singers have great talent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end