Hacking POLL: Is there a need for a ModMii type app for 3DS?

Do you want ModMii for the 3DS?

• Yes, please.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No, just don't.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I don't know. I am just a troll.

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
@XFlak and I (a.k.a. Team Your Mom) have been chatting about the possibility of writing a ModMii type app for hacking the 3DS. And I am just kinda wondering how the community feels about this, as if the is even a need for something like that.

What got me first thinking about it, after going through the 3ds.guide, I was kinda annoyed with how many stupid steps there were of "extract this file" and "now create this folder" and felt that things could be more simple, even though it already is kinda simple, just annoying, and could be automated much more.

Those familiar with ModMii already knows how great of an app that it is, and we feel that we could make something even better for the 3DS.

The only reason why I see not to as it could be a little bit of a wasted effort as the 3DS family seems to be likely losing support from Nintendo in the near future (my own assumption), and we are kinda coming in late to the game. Feel free to share any thoughts or criticisms.

Thank you.

TL;DR: Should we make a ModMii type app for the 3DS family of consoles?

Last edited by DeadlyFoez,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@XFlak and I (a.k.a. Team Your Mom) have been chatting about the possibility of writing a ModMii type app for hacking the 3DS. And I am just kinda wondering how the community feels about this, as if the is even a need for something like that.

What got me first thinking about it, after going through the 3ds.guide, I was kinda annoyed with how many stupid steps there were of "extract this file" and "now create this folder" and felt that things could be more simple, even though it already is kinda simple, just annoying, and could be automated much more.

Those familiar with ModMii already knows how great of an app that it is, and we feel that we could make something even better for the 3DS.

The only reason why I see not to as it could be a little bit of a wasted effort as the 3DS family seems to be likely losing support from Nintendo in the near future (my own assumption), and we are kinda coming in late to the game. Feel free to share any thoughts or criticisms.

Thank you.

TL;DR: Should we make a ModMii type app for the 3DS family of consoles?
Definitely yes. Some attempts have been made at creating downloaders to download all the 3ds.guide files for you, but it could be done much better with a ModMii-type program, plus keeping those sorts of downloaders up to date is always going to be an issue as they still rely on an external guide and changes in the guide might prevent the downloaded files from working with the guide.

And I completely agree that 3ds.guide has a lot of stupid steps, but there are a lot of stupid people wanting to hack their 3DS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think that having an interactive guide would prevent a lot of people getting confused though. We get a lot of questions from people not sure what part of the guide they're supposed to follow, and an interactive guide can actually advise them on the best course of action on their specific 3DS model and firmware, rather than just list all the methods in a big list.
It would also greatly shorten the number of steps needed, since most of the steps are "download X, create folder X, place file A from archive X in folder Y, place file B from archive X on the SD card root" and so on. A lot of users are overwhelmed by the sheer number of steps, even if it's not a very complicated guide, and they come here asking for help because they have trouble following it.

People have made packs that allow for installing CFW really quickly with a ntrboot flashcart, but these packs can get outdated quickly and also rely upon ntrboot, which for people who already have a second hacked 3DS or aren't on the latest firmware might not be the best method.

An one stop shop for 3DS modding similar to 3ds.guide, but in an interactive fashion, would benefit everyone greatly I think. We would get far less questions about the various aspects of 3DS modding, and 3DS owners interested in modding their 3DS would be able to hack their console much more easily. At most we would usually only have to point new users to the program and they would be able to figure out the rest themselves.

I swear by ModMii and I suggest it to everyone that asks how to hack their Wii. It's just too bad it doesn't support the Wii U. There are several great tutorials on Wii U hacking available, but nothing beats the simplicity of ModMii.

The 3DS may be losing official support, but I believe it will be hacked for years to come. It has a strong library of games, and the Switch is currently too expensive for a lot of people. Hell, I still see people asking about how to hack their Wii or update their softmod every now and then.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: DeadlyFoez

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I had a program that downloaded all up to date files, before b9s. I had a web scraper that scraped the guide to keep an up-to-date database of all the links, and my program checked the links from my web database,to download the files needed for each page of the guide. I could set it up again if there was interest. I don’t think there would be though because all of about 6 people used my program so wasn’t worth maintaining.

Reactions: zoogie

Toasty

Queen
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I liked modmii, it was easy to use and almost impossible to fuck up. The problem is, you need extra hardware to hack 11.6, making it a little more complicated for a program that just downloads some files on the internet.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
about 70% of the people that I recommend to 3ds.guide discouraged them to doing it for them selves because of the wall-of-text instruction on the site. even though they managed to softmod a wii on their own.

having it simplified like what modmii do will be a god send...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I had a program that downloaded all up to date files, before b9s. I had a web scraper that scraped the guide to keep an up-to-date database of all the links, and my program checked the links from my web database,to download the files needed for each page of the guide. I could set it up again if there was interest. I don’t think there would be though because all of about 6 people used my program so wasn’t worth maintaining.
Maybe if you got it published to the guide, it would get much more usage, worthy of maintaining. It seems like a stretch, but doable.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe if you got it published to the guide, it would get much more usage, worthy of maintaining. It seems like a stretch, but doable.
I did talk to Plailect about it, but didn't get any support (I had to add some invisible markers to the site pages so my scraper could find the download links, so had to make a fork and keep pulling changes to keep up to date). Looking back at it there is huge scope for improvement, I've learned quite a bit since, so I could give it a better go a second time. And luckily now the guide changes very rarely.

Reactions: Jayro

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So @XFlak and I have been talking some more. We still are not sure if we are going to go with this project or not.

The question is, should this app only bother supporting the latest firmwares (11.4 to 11.6) or should we support older firmwares as well? The likelihood of anyone having a firmware earlier than 11.4 is rather low at this point.

What do you all think?

We could eventually support earlier firmwares just for the sake of completion, but I am not sure the effort would be worth it.

Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm