Hardware POLL: Is the Wii the greates Nintendo system of all time?

Huh?

• Total voters

tmnr1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me the Wii U is better, simply because the Wii U is an enhanced Wii, being compatible with both Wii and Gamecube games (thanks to Nintendont) While also letting you play Wii U (obviously) and DS games. The downside is the lack of Gamecube controller ports, which can be somewhat fixed with USB adapters and/or applications like HIDtoVPAD. The other advantage the Wii U has is HDMI output, although some people say the image quality for Wii games is much better on the original Wii. That hasn't been the case for me, since AV composite looks pretty bad, and Wii2HDMI looks grainy, but maybe on a CRT screen it would look nicer.

But if we're talking great games, then the Super Nintendo is the greatest console ever.

Last edited by tmnr1992,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes for the time being....

Wii had Native GC support, some Amazing games, Easily hacked, Sold a buttload ( cheap on the used market), and top notch Emulation and Homebrew support.
also refilled Nintendo's War chest to the max..
but I can see the Switch surpass it in the near future.

Last edited by djpannda,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I think it's the best for the unforgettable memories
Yeah, it is. Wii was (but also is) the greatest sucess of Nintendo, an amazing achievement that didn't get since 1991 with the SNES console. And not just play software from GameCube and Wii, but also old game systems NES, SNES, N64, SEGA Genesis, TurboGrafx-16 and more with the Virtual Console, exclusive digital games (such Dr. Mario Online Rx, UNO Card Game, FAST Racing League, Castlevania: Rebirth, Ben 10 Alien Force: The Rise of Hex, World of Goo and more) with WiiWare, and some interesting channels with Wii Channels (such YouTube, Netflix, Internet Channel, Check Mii Out Channel and more...)
I also loved the first time of Nintendo of making online multi-player games on Wii (ex. Mario Kart Wii, GoldenEye 007 for Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, etc...)

:)

And also the first Nintendo console to be fully hacked and "homebrewed" for run other applications (such emulators, other games, WAD managers, patchers, etc...)

:D

Tsuyoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vote yes...

Compared to newer systems: Easier to hack than the Switch. Otherwise I would say the Switch is better, as the hardware is better and it seems like most of the good Gamecube/Wii/Wii U games are getting ported. The Wii U has issues with video output, backward compatibility, and that weird controller.

Compared to older systems: It can emulate NES and SNES just fine, so it supercedes those. It has issues emulating N64, but that was the weakest Nintendo system anyway.

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think that will be the SNES, sure the Wii have a lot of my favorite games (Fatal frame IV, Xenoblade Chronicles, Muramasa the Demon Blade, Metroid Other M, Trauma Team etc.) but it has many faults to be considered at least for me the best nintendo console.

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamecube is my favorite and Wii is two of those duct taped together so perhaps.

Nintendo probably learned the wrong lessons from the Wii, at least in the short term. The DS was a huge success, and Nintendo's design philosophy for it was Developers' System - basically provide a much wider variety of input methods, and watch the game development flourish. Wii was similarly intended, but either intentionally or as a practical matter, those inputs displaced traditional controls, instead of existing alongside them. The DS library was filled out with tons of traditional games, and tons of inventive new games taking advantage of its unique inputs. The Wii was not so fortunate.

I don't know if this is true, but with Wii I suspect Nintendo was leaning more on their own studios and third parties to use the new input methods (as compared to the DS). The result was the infamous waggle. Tons of games that substituted motion inputs for button presses - almost always a bad idea from a game design perspective. It was quite late in the Wii's life that Nintendo finally took advantage of the Wii's control inputs in a way that wasn't just an awkward substitution for what buttons or an analog stick could do - in Skyward Sword.

Wii U was shaped by what Nintendo learned from Wii. Wii U was more expensive, kneecapping perhaps the Wii's greatest competitive advantage. And they almost entirely dropped motion controls (of the sort on the Wii), throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Thinking about it now, Nintendo seems to properly implement their ideas after skipping a generation. The design of the Wii U reveals a persistent interest in a Gamecube-era novelty: asymmetric gameplay. The Wii U was a practical and proper implementation of gameplay that was previously only possible through GC-GBA connectivity (which was absurdly impractical, if you've ever tried).

And Switch is a proper implementation of the Wii: an approximately adequate traditional controller that is also approximately adequate for (Wii-style) motion controls. And Nintendo fortunately is not apparently leaning on developers to use the new/motion controls as a substitute for traditional controls.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gamecube is my favorite and Wii is two of those duct taped together so perhaps.

Nintendo probably learned the wrong lessons from the Wii, at least in the short term. The DS was a huge success, and Nintendo's design philosophy for it was Developers' System - basically provide a much wider variety of input methods, and watch the game development flourish. Wii was similarly intended, but either intentionally or as a practical matter, those inputs displaced traditional controls, instead of existing alongside them. The DS library was filled out with tons of traditional games, and tons of inventive new games taking advantage of its unique inputs. The Wii was not so fortunate.

I don't know if this is true, but with Wii I suspect Nintendo was leaning more on their own studios and third parties to use the new input methods (as compared to the DS). The result was the infamous waggle. Tons of games that substituted motion inputs for button presses - almost always a bad idea from a game design perspective. It was quite late in the Wii's life that Nintendo finally took advantage of the Wii's control inputs in a way that wasn't just an awkward substitution for what buttons or an analog stick could do - in Skyward Sword.

Wii U was shaped by what Nintendo learned from Wii. Wii U was more expensive, kneecapping perhaps the Wii's greatest competitive advantage. And they almost entirely dropped motion controls (of the sort on the Wii), throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Thinking about it now, Nintendo seems to properly implement their ideas after skipping a generation. The design of the Wii U reveals a persistent interest in a Gamecube-era novelty: asymmetric gameplay. The Wii U was a practical and proper implementation of gameplay that was previously only possible through GC-GBA connectivity (which was absurdly impractical, if you've ever tried).

And Switch is a proper implementation of the Wii: an approximately adequate traditional controller that is also approximately adequate for (Wii-style) motion controls. And Nintendo fortunately is not apparently leaning on developers to use the new/motion controls as a substitute for traditional controls.
I just think they made the wii u too early and the hardware didnt really bring their vision to life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol