POLL: Is the Switch OLED actually worth it?

Is it?

• Yes, even if you already own a switch

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Yes but for only people who don't own a switch

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't vote from experience because I don't have one. I'd like one, especially as it looks like they will be chippable, as I almost always play handheld and the screen upgrade would be sweet. Hard to justify the price right now, will see how our circumstances go. Already considering a Steam Deck which is another complicating factor.

Also who the fuck let you make a poll? :P

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
I advised it to a friend who does not own switch, cause for the price and still available like bread in france it was definitely worth it.

But for peeps that own a switch I will never advise it simply cause beside a screen and let say a bit of battery that kind of all.
Especially if you only use it portable mode you scrap the Dock with it's wonderful ethernet port. /s

mr_switch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yes of course if you have the budget for it. After playing on OLED Switch for a week I can no longer go back to playing with the inferior LCD screen on the old switch, gonna keep the old switch for dock mode and use OLED as the main gaming device on the go!

Plus when I first tried out the OLED screen on the Vita I thought to myself how great it would be to play Nintendo games on a vibrant OLED screen and now I get to experience it in full glory and I am not disappointed:D

Last edited by mr_switch,
Reactions: hippy dave

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted no, even if I would have wanted one, it’s not worth it. I already have the original switch. If the oled really didn’t add extra power to the switch it’s not worth it. They should have made it a little more powerful the way they did for the 3ds with the n3ds.

infinete

The Temp's cynic.
Trophies
XP
Country
I play completely docked so a bigger brighter screen would have to be bought externally anyway, maybe when they make one with more horsepower or something :/

bazamuffin

RESIDENT DILF
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For me, no. It doesn't offer the homebrew capability in the simple way a v1 does. I wouldn't feel comfortable cracking one open and pissing about soldering. My opinion is based on simplicity and the fact I mostly play docked so the OLED screen is kinda moot for me. Just my 2p's worth and I think some will find counter arguments for it

RichardTheKing

LoZ: Oracle remaster, plz!
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No way, Jose; if one can, try to nab a launch-model Switch. Not only would the docked, TV output be almost identical since Nintendo failed to beef up the internals whatsoever, but the launch model has the RCM exploit for wonderful, wonderful homebrew.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Lol AHS is getting funny two dudes and two girls get pregnant
    Gift
  • Toastee_ @ Toastee_:
    Whats AHS?
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    What are you supposed to do when you have a thousand dollar piece of hardware that won't work because the API the manufacturer provided doesn't want to work?
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Ebay
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Oh great.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    It's a Linux bug.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Well a bug with their Linux drivers or something.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    It captures 2x the amount of packets on Windows 10 in a freaking VM where USB access is slower/more latent.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    what is this piece of hardware @gudenau
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Beagle 480
    Gift
  • T-hug @ T-hug:
    Dune 2021 1080p HDRip X264 AC3-EVO
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Dune? Reminds me of seeing my ex naked
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Oh yeah Dune movie is out, watching it later
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Here is hoping 2022 is a good year for DC cinematic universe
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Honestly don't really know what Dune is.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Anyone here know much about Jetbrains InteliJ Idea?
    Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Oh, T-hug was here :blink:
    Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Hey, where the admins at? Come in the chat. I got a idea. How bout a Sound notification or something when someone tags you in chat? :ninja:
    Gift
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Post it in the v8 feedback thread
    Gift
  • Gift
  • OzKenny1983 @ OzKenny1983:
    Post what sorry? I'm guessing we were talking about this ages ago, but I haven't been on GBATemp in almost a year so my memory is failing me :-/
    Gift
    feedback and or bugs that may have popped up since the migration to XenForo 2!
    Gift
    Umm...I think you might have the wrong person, since that may as well have been written in Chinese. I have nothing to do with the management of this site, nor have I ever been involved. I'm just a member, and hardly even qualify as that...like I said my last post was almost a year ago lol
    Gift
    Lol no, Sonic Angel Knight had an idea, best would be to post it in that thread haha
    Gift
    Sorry, don't know Sonic Angel Knight either...
    Gift
    OzKenny1983 @ OzKenny1983: Sorry, don't know Sonic Angel Knight either...