[Poll] How long till Nintendo turn off 3DS online servers?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by suzsuzuki, May 28, 2017.

?

How long till Nintendo turn off 3DS online servers?

1. 1 year

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. 2 years

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. 3 years

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. 4 years

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. 5 years

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. 10 years

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Never

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. suzsuzuki
    OP

suzsuzuki GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2016
    Brazil
    How long?

2. Brutalanda

Brutalanda Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    Gambia, The
  3. LeoIeiri

LeoIeiri GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2017
    Tokyo
    I think close servers in 2018 is a bad new for players to play online (me for mercenaries 3d)

4. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    Not 2018. Usually when Nintendo discontinue a console, the online servers are still up for a bit longer, with Wii, DS and DSi for example.

Brutalanda likes this.
  5. suzsuzuki
    OP

Aug 25, 2016
    Brazil
    I think 10 years of online service. .. so 3DS debuts on 2011, maybe till 2021 we'll have online servers.

6. MashedPotatos

MashedPotatos Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    Well the New2DS is coming out so it would be pretty stupid to shutdown the servers only a year after it gets released.

dpad_5678 and Mikemk like this.
  7. suzsuzuki
    OP

Aug 25, 2016
    Brazil
    Agreed

8. Secret_3DS_Agent

Secret_3DS_Agent Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2017
    United States
    The only reason Wii and DS online shut down is because the servers weren't hosted by Nintendo, and the company who owned them went out of business.

Shubshub and Blue_Mew like this.
  9. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    and using by example Sony and Microsoft, would make only a vague point as Nintendo didn't really have any sort of system for anything-online till the DS/Wii days (vers, the PS2 having online functionality out of the box and true online services (in japan only w/ the HDD) and XBL "1.0" shutdown in 2010 (though Technically Sony's Online service System for the PS2 (or more its backbone DNAS) saw its final Shutdown Just recently w/ April 2016 [End of Life for FFXI on consoles.] (this was about the same time when Sony ended PSP's PSN.)

point being there were other online services before Nintendo stepped up their "Game "w/ the introduction of the DS and the Wii (and no don't count PSO on the Gamecube as it was handled by Sega's Network and not Nintendo). and Proved that it can be a long time even after a console or handheld's EOL before Online services ended w/ the Exclusion of the Nintendo Wifi Connection (naming to the DS / Wii Services due to the underlying network going under due to its owner going out of business)i think the iteration we have now will be here to stay for quite awhile. being unless the completely haveto restructure things for Future Switch games/ future Device to supersede the 3DS[and far in the future the Switch (if they do. as i doubt if the switch ends badly for them, Nintendo may just stick to the mobile /handheld market which is what they dominate still for the time being w/ Android and iphone devices being their only recent threat.)

10. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    I don't see the servers being shut down until 2020ish. DS and Wii servers didn't shut down until mid 2014 and there weren't major titles being released then.

11. Tokita

Tokita Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2017
    Colombia
    yep with the new2DS on the way we have at least 2 more years

12. Spiderkid08

Spiderkid08 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 26, 2016
    United States
    since the servers are hosted by nintendo network (which the switch also uses) its safe to say that online for 3ds will go down once the nintendo network gets shutdown