• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] Have you had Covid-19 before?

Have you had Covid-19?

• No

Votes: 159 46.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 118 34.3%
  • Don't know / Never been tested

Votes: 67 19.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I haven't seen any evidence of anyone dying, or even having long-term side effects, from the mRNA vaccines, and even if you were to provide some evidence of these things, it wouldn't be any different than claiming seatbelts are potentially life threatening. The odds would be so low that remaining unvaccinated is what's "potentially life threatening." It isn't the other way around, even though it's inconvenient for your anti-vax position.

Driving a car is dangerous. A seatbelt is not

Suggesting that Pfizer is selling seatbelts for our Corona cars is not objective. That's like saying that you are the virus or occupy the space inside it.

Not catching corona is infinitely better and less risk to your health than getting vaccinated. That's a statistical fact.

Reactions: BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody hid this information.

There is a significant risk of side effects, but they are usually mild, and the odds of them being life-threatening are vanishingly small (if not zero). Nobody hid this information either.

I suggest you do some research before attempting to make sarcastic quips.
Of course nothing's been suppressed, duh. Neither has any side effects. I'm totally not being sarcastic my good man.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No covid

No vax, no boosters

Healthy AF like always - Just letting my iummune system do its work like terrans been doing forever

God bless you all
I'm glad you're doing well, but a few things:

People infected with COVID-19 can be asymptomatic, particularly when they're young and healthy, so you don't know for sure you never had it.

The vaccine is highly recommended, regardless of how "healthy AF" you are, since it will reduce the risk of becoming infected, getting sick, getting hospitalized, or dying. Regardless of how healthy you are, it is still possible to get sick, which could entail mild symptoms, moderate symptoms, severe symptoms, or death; your odds of getting seriously sick are less because you're healthy, but they aren't zero, and they'd be even less if you were to get vaccinated. A lot of people talk about how it's mostly the elderly getting seriously sick and dying from COVID-19, but when you look at the numbers, the difference in mortality between the old and the young is comparable to the difference in mortality between the unvaccinated and the vaccinated.

Just because you're healthy now doesn't mean you will be healthy forever. In fact, it's often the person who says "I'm healthy AF as always" who isn't proactive about their health. They don't go to the doctor, wear a coat in the cold, or get a vaccine because they're "tough." These are the same people, for example, who have undiagnosed and untreated high blood pressure (which could make COVID-19 significantly worse), get sick because they didn't wear a coat and were more likely to catch an infectious disease from someone, or get sick because they didn't get vaccinated. COVID-19 and other diseases don't care how masculine you are or how "healthy AF" you claim to be.

Even if you're generally healthy and unconcerned about how the virus is likely to affect you, that doesn't take into account your ability to spread the virus to others who might not be "healthy AF." If you want to reduce your odds of getting infected, getting seriously sick, or spreading illness to others who might not be able to handle the disease as well as you, you should get vaccinated. The vaccine is safe and effective.

The human immune system is great, but modern medicine makes it even better. The vaccine doesn't fight off a COVID-19 infection; it trains your own immune system to do it quicker and more effectively on its own. We also know what the world was like before vaccines, antibiotics, etc., and there were significantly more human deaths when our natural immune systems had to go at it alone.

Driving a car is dangerous. A seatbelt is not

Suggesting that Pfizer is selling seatbelts for our Corona cars is not objective. That's like saying that you are the virus or occupy the space inside it.
People have died in car accidents because they were wearing seatbelts. That doesn't mean it's rational to not wear one, since you're significantly more likely to die without one. And, as I mentioned previously, this analogy is only bad because a seatbelt only protects you. If your choice to wear a seatbelt also helped protect the people around you, then it would be more analogous to the vaccines.

Not catching corona is infinitely better and less risk to your health than getting vaccinated. That's a statistical fact.
Not getting in a car accident is infinitely better than wearing a seatbelt. That's a statistical fact.

Unless you can remove yourself from society (you have my permission to do so), you can't guarantee that you won't be infected with COVID-19. When you look at the numbers and accept that you live in a world with other people from whom you could catch COVID-19, not getting the vaccine is significantly riskier for your health than getting the vaccine.

With respect, you don't appear to have thought this through.

Of course nothing's been suppressed, duh. Neither has any side effects. I'm totally not being sarcastic my good man.
What evidence do you have of side effects being suppressed?

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you're doing well, but a few things:

People infected with COVID-19 can be asymptomatic, particularly when they're young and healthy, so you don't know for sure you never had it.

The vaccine is highly recommended, regardless of how "healthy AF" you are, since it will reduce the risk of becoming infected, getting sick, getting hospitalized, or dying. Regardless of how healthy you are, it is still possible to get sick, which could entail mild symptoms, moderate symptoms, severe symptoms, or death; your odds of getting seriously sick are less because you're healthy, but they aren't zero, and they'd be even less if you were to get vaccinated. A lot of people talk about how it's mostly the elderly getting seriously sick and dying from COVID-19, but when you look at the numbers, the difference in mortality between the old and the young is comparable to the difference in mortality between the unvaccinated and the vaccinated.

Just because you're healthy now doesn't mean you will be healthy forever. In fact, it's often the person who says "I'm healthy AF as always" who isn't proactive about their health. They don't go to the doctor, wear a coat in the cold, or get a vaccine because they're "tough." These are the same people, for example, who have undiagnosed and untreated high blood pressure (which could make COVID-19 significantly worse), get sick because they didn't wear a coat and were more likely to catch an infectious disease from someone, or get sick because they didn't get vaccinated. COVID-19 and other diseases don't care how masculine you are or how "healthy AF" you claim to be.

Even if you're generally healthy and unconcerned about how the virus is likely to affect you, that doesn't take into account your ability to spread the virus to others who might not be "healthy AF." If you want to reduce your odds of getting infected, getting seriously sick, or spreading illness to others who might not be able to handle the disease as well as you, you should get vaccinated. The vaccine is safe and effective.

The human immune system is great, but modern medicine makes it even better. The vaccine doesn't fight off a COVID-19 infection; it trains your own immune system to do it quicker and more effectively on its own. We also know what the world was like before vaccines, antibiotics, etc., and there were significantly more human deaths when our natural immune systems had to go at it alone.

People have died in car accidents because they were wearing seatbelts. That doesn't mean it's rational to not wear one, since you're significantly more likely to die without one. And, as I mentioned previously, this analogy is only bad because a seatbelt only protects you. If your choice to wear a seatbelt also helped protect the people around you, then it would be more analogous to the vaccines.

Not getting in a car accident is infinitely better than wearing a seatbelt. That's a statistical fact.

Unless you can remove yourself from society (you have my permission to do so), you can't guarantee that you won't be infected with COVID-19. When you look at the numbers and accept that you live in a world with other people from whom you could catch COVID-19, not getting the vaccine is significantly riskier for your health than getting the vaccine.

With respect, you don't appear to have thought this through.

What evidence do you have of side effects being suppressed?
This made me laugh. TY for caring. God bless us all.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's correct.
Unfortunately, a lot of people think they're better drivers than they actually are. In addition, a single driver is only in control of one car amongst the countless others on the road, and that's not even taking into account severe weather, mechanical failures, etc. Saying "not getting in a car accident is infinitely better than wearing a seatbelt" as a justification for not wearing a seatbelt is to be irrational just plain stupid, and the same goes for not getting vaccinated for the same reason. Thank you for helping me make my point.

Iunno, definitely not in an article I linked in a post, unless some don't know how to actually read. But that's not the case here since people here are geniuses.
I must have missed it. In fairness, I would have had to wade through a lot of bullshit you've posted in order to find it. Could you please describe the specific side effects that you're talking about and provide reputable scientific or medical research that demonstrates them to be real? Thank you.

Reactions: Dakitten

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must have missed it. In fairness, I would have had to wade through a lot of bullshit you've posted in order to find it. Could you please describe the specific side effects that you're talking about and provide reputable scientific or medical research that demonstrates them to be real? Thank you.
Apologies for my posts being too long and hard for you to read. I just assumed that since you type out long responses, you must read long ones too. But of course, someone of your intelligence surely doesn't need an anti-vaxx bigot like me to hold your hand like a toddler and lead you through and article you can easily read now, right? Of course not, because you're the smartest person I know on here. It's not like certain people on here ask for sources and either don't read or just flat out refuse them because they don't like what they have to say and or it doesn't agree with their views or anything.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for my posts being too long and hard for you to read. I just assumed that since you type out long responses, you must read long ones too. But of course, someone of your intelligence surely doesn't need an anti-vaxx bigot like me to hold your hand like a toddler and lead you through and article you can easily read now, right? Of course not, because you're the smartest person I know on here. It's not like certain people on here ask for sources and either don't read or just flat out refuse them because they don't like what they have to say and or it doesn't agree with their views or anything.
I can tell from the general attitude of your last post that I've struck a nerve, and that was not my intention. My point was that the hyperlinks in your sarcastic text were often irrelevant and/or disreputable.

I also prefer to have conversations, not to trade links without context. If your point is that there are side effects to the vaccines that are being covered up, please articulate what those side effects are, and then please provide evidence that's reputable. We don't need to get off track.

Reactions: Dakitten

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Unfortunately, a lot of people think they're better drivers than they actually are. In addition, a single driver is only in control of one car amongst the countless others on the road, and that's not even taking into account severe weather, mechanical failures, etc. Saying "not getting in a car accident is infinitely better than wearing a seatbelt" as a justification for not wearing a seatbelt is to be irrational just plain stupid, and the same goes for not getting vaccinated for the same reason. Thank you for helping me make my point.

That's incorrect. Calling people cars is, as you say, irrational.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't think I said people are cars, but I understand why you feel the need to misrepresent what I said. Your position depends on it.

You might want to think about thinking a little harder, or fix your broken analogy.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might want to think about thinking a little harder, or fix your broken analogy.
I already said the analogy was broken, but not in the way you think. It's broken because your choice to wear a seatbelt only protects you, not the people around you. The vaccine offers protection to you and the people around you.

You're arguing the vaccine is potentially deadly, but that either isn't true, or it's so unlikely that it's comparable to the odds of dying in a car accident because you were wearing a seatbelt. Nobody would seriously use the argument of "some people have died because they were wearing a seatbelt" to not wear a seatbelt, and nobody should use your argument to not get vaccinated.

Where is the problem?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I already said the analogy was broken, but not in the way you think. It's broken because your choice to wear a seatbelt only protects you, not the people around you. The vaccine offers protection to you and the people around you.

You're arguing the vaccine is potentially deadly, but that either isn't true, or it's so unlikely that it's comparable to the odds of dying in a car accident because you were wearing a seatbelt. Nobody would seriously use the argument of "some people have died because they were wearing a seatbelt" to not wear a seatbelt, and nobody should use your argument to not get vaccinated.

Where is the problem?

People aren't cars. You mentioned something about being "objective" but you are tossing around statistics of unrelated scenarios and then conflating them. Also you are passively admitting that you aren't interested in keeping yourself informed with vaccine related death or injury.

99% of the people who died right after getting vaccinated "cannot be evaluated" of it being due to the vaccine due to it possibly being a coincidence yet 110% of people who died while having coronavirus in their system are all corona deaths. This is an obvious double-standard.

It's also a racket. Have you purchased stock in Pfizer?

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell from the general attitude of your last post that I've struck a nerve, and that was not my intention. My point was that the hyperlinks in your sarcastic text were often irrelevant and/or disreputable.

I also prefer to have conversations, not to trade links without context. If your point is that there are side effects to the vaccines that are being covered up, please articulate what those side effects are, and then please provide evidence that's reputable. We don't need to get off track.
My apologies once again. My nerve didn't get struck, but if it were, I would almost be wondering how some would ask for sources yet still say it's not enough, almost like it's never gonna be good enough even if you spell it out in the most articulate way possible, as if even if one would go through the effort even though some could easily read through articles they still won't accept what's been written down and recorded with the science they love to brag about so much. But that's clearly not the case here as there is no reason not to trust these ultimately safe and potentially non-lethal vaccines at all sponsered and pushed by big pharma and government. Just another loony conspiracy theory.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People aren't cars. You mentioned something about being "objective" but you are tossing around statistics of unrelated scenarios and then conflating them.
Learn what an analogy is. The severe risks associated with seatbelts and the severe risks associated with the COVID-19 vaccines are comparable. If you aren't going to use a "seatbelts have non-zero chance of killing me" argument against seatbelts, then you can't be consistent and use a "vaccines have a non-zero chance of killing me" argument.

Also you are passively admitting that you aren't interested in keeping yourself informed with vaccine related death or injury.
No, I'm not. As I've said already, very few people, if any, have died from the mRNA vaccines. If you want to argue anybody has died from the mRNA vaccines, let alone a significant number of people, you need to provide evidence. I've looked for it, and I haven't found it.

99% of the people who died right after getting vaccinated "cannot be evaluated" of it being due to the vaccine due to it possibly being a coincidence
It isn't that a significant number of people who died right after getting vaccinated "can't be evaluated." It's that a causal link between the vaccine and a death cannot be established. There's a big difference. When we're vaccinating millions of people, there are going to be people who died immediately after getting vaccinated for reasons unrelated to the vaccine. When you look at the numbers, the death rates for everything that isn't COVID-19, across the board, are unchanged by vaccination.

If you are going to argue that a significant number of vaccine deaths have gone unnoticed, or that there's any significant risk of death associated with the vaccine, you need to demonstrate this. That's where we're at.

yet 110% of people who died while having coronavirus in their system are all corona deaths.
Listen up, because I sincerely think you're going to learn something here.

The COVID-19 death numbers are fairly accurate. They're a significant bump in the death rate compared to what we would expect before COVID-19 appeared, and nearly all of these deaths occurred while people were hospitalized and being treated for severe COVID-19 symptoms and testing positive for COVID-19. In other words, the change in the raw number of deaths comports with the numbers of COVID-19 deaths that are being reported.

The current methodology for hospitalization numbers is admittedly a little iffy, but it's mostly with regard to younger ages, and the raw hospitalization numbers are still largely accurate.

It's also a racket.
The vaccine isn't a racket. They're safe, they're effective, and they have saved an estimated 1.1 million American lives. I'm not sure how anyone could consider vaccines to be a racket by any objective and reasoned measure.

My apologies once again. My nerve didn't get struck, but if it were, I would almost be wondering how some would ask for sources yet still say it's not enough, almost like it's never gonna be good enough even if you spell it out in the most articulate way possible, as if even if one would go through the effort even though some could easily read through articles they still won't accept what's been written down and recorded with the science they love to brag about so much. But that's clearly not the case here as there is no reason not to trust these ultimately safe and potentially non-lethal vaccines at all sponsered and pushed by big pharma and government. Just another loony conspiracy theory.
I don't see any specific claims of specific side effects that are being hidden or ignored, and I definitely don't see any evidence. If you're indeed claiming that there's scientific evidence for these side effects, I'm all ears. Forgive me if I'm not holding my breath though.

In the absence of reputable evidence, a lot of what you've said is tantamount to "another loony conspiracy theory," yes.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well it's a good thing to see you're a very reasonable person that doesn't pick and choose their sources based on what they "feel" like is a good source or not, so thanks for understanding!
This isn’t based on how I feel, it’s based on researching the topics posted and sources they came from or listed. The Epoch Times is a known misinformation website and has a long history of spreading propaganda.
https://www.businessinsider.com/epoch-times-pro-trump-facebook-ads-2019-8
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...ay-behind-facebook-fueled-rise-epoch-n1044121
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hayesbrown/epoch-times-trump-administration-falun-gong
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...edia-epoch-times-democrats-chinese-communists
Oh yeah, and it's also tethered to a cult, the cult of Falun Gong.
Your links are no sources, they aren't linked to anything legit. They are far-right political and religious propaganda.
YouTube isn't a source and it's sad that you think it is.
99% of the people who died right after getting vaccinated "cannot be evaluated" of it being due to the vaccine due to it possibly being a coincidence yet 110% of people who died while having coronavirus in their system are all corona deaths. This is an obvious double-standard.
Where's your source?

Reactions: KingVamp and Lacius

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The COVID-19 death numbers are fairly accurate. They're a significant bump in the death rate compared to what we would expect before COVID-19 appeared, and nearly all of these deaths occurred while people were hospitalized and being treated for severe COVID-19 symptoms and testing positive for COVID-19. In other words, the change in the raw number of deaths comports with the numbers of COVID-19 deaths that are being reported.

The current methodology for hospitalization numbers is admittedly a little iffy, but it's mostly with regard to younger ages, and the raw hospitalization numbers are still largely accurate.

This is you interpreting data in favor of vaccines.

It isn't that a significant number of people who died right after getting vaccinated "can't be evaluated." It's that a causal link between the vaccine and a death cannot be established. There's a big difference. When we're vaccinating millions of people, there are going to be people who died immediately after getting vaccinated for reasons unrelated to the vaccine. When you look at the numbers, the death rates for everything that isn't COVID-19, across the board, are unchanged by vaccination.

This is also you interpreting data in favor of vaccines.

In both situations you approach the facts from different angles, to make it fit. Correlation is evidence of causation only when it supports your intended narrative:

They're safe, they're effective

A preferred (safer*) alternative to some, not all. They are effective if you just ignore boosters, and the fact that they haven't fixed anything.

Did you invest in Pfizer or any other of the companies manufacturing MRNA-based injections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself