• Total voters

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never dumpster dived
but before the plandemic i did grab stuff out of the E cycle bins at BB
mostly looking for broken electronics with USB type A male plugs or broken USB phone chargers or charger cables
found some AC adapters and power supplies ,one for a macbook that i think i can fix and lots of USB cables ( i cut them up to power arduino projects with wall warts or to power wire lights or fairy lights LED strings for holiday decorations ,and to power other normally battery operated x-mas halloween decorations (usually use a LM2596 for all those applications to dial in the exact voltage) ,found a working webcam in there too
good thing is that i was able to test duo on android TV and it worked with it and all the cams i have didn't ,not the best but still a way to use duo on the TV so that is pretty cool
but now BB took them away not sure if it was cause of COVID or not though

Last edited by weatMod,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Funny,that our Friend Polly asks this.....

zzzzz.de.jpg

:rofl2:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Every walk I take with the dog I will wander past skips, random junk outside houses, rubbish on the side of the road (found a whole bunch of computer cables a few days ago).

Found tools, wood, metal, glass, tiles, paving slabs, electronics, books, furniture, wheels, cable drums...
Can't say I have ever done it for food, and have no particular plans just yet, but I am mostly in the country or older towns so there are fruit trees and bushes everywhere there that few people pick. To that end I am using swimming in apples, pears, plums, cherries, bullaces, blackberries, sloes, quinces and more around that time of year. If the dog catches a rabbit or a pheasant (too slow for squirrels and hares) or has a nibble on a fresh deer that lost a game of beat the bus then saves on food for him.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A manufacturing company I used to work for would frequently buy CPUs in bulk that came in retail packaging that included an OEM cooler. These coolers were being thrown out as most of them were unsuitable for the build. I would keep them instead of throwing them out (not technically dumpster diving I guess) and sell them on eBay for a tidy profit. I managed to earn quite a lot on the side selling bits and pieces that the company would otherwise throw out. It kinda made the pitiful wage I was on worth it.

It's quite amazing what companies are happy to just throw out. A few other jobs I've had I've managed to do similar things as well.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love digging through other people's unwanted goods, If I don't find anything useful for myself, I find usable things for friends or family. :ph34r:
How else are you supposed to find that certain loved one a birthday?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Last edited by dragonblood9999,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
After Hurricane Harvey, my parents and I were trying to salvage stuff from my destroyed house. When we were driving back to the FEMA hotel, we saw a GameStop that had been heavily damaged and was closing down. They had posters and things that were high up in the back room that hadn't been damaged in storage, like posters for the PlayStation Vita, Pokken for Wii U, or pre-order banners for Red Dead 2. They were sitting outside, and I brazenly asked if they still wanted them. They let me take the whole box!

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
2 of my PCs are mostly constructed from parts scored in a dumpster.

My father is using a laptop from a dumpster- which I scored and fixed for daily usage.

One of my PSP and all 3 of my PS2s are from a single dumpster, though I didn't get them all at the same time.

and I'm pretty sure that over 40% of my cables are from dumpsters.

do I dumpster dive? Yes, frequently. been doing it since I was like 12.

Last edited by KokoseiJ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-