Homebrew [Poll]Downgrade to 4.x or stay at 9.2?

Downgrade or 4.x or stay at 9.2?

• Downgrade

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • stay at 9.2

Votes: 65 43.6%

• Total voters

UraKn0x

Official senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I decided to stick on 9.2 because I have plenty of retail games released after 6.x and I still play them a lot.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
i chose staying on 9.2
1) because i have some recent retail games Then what is Emunand for? For some stupid theme on 9.4?
2) the gateway browser exploit doesn't need an internet connexion anymore if you have an android phone or you're smart enough to read tutorials about local webserver Too complicate, in 4.5 you need none of those.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, basically, the choice depend of if you have (lots of) retail games you want to play with, because even if Classic Mode is available on 4.x, the saves won't be recognized if your retail game saves use 7.x+ encryption.

And has Classic mode in 9.2 support 7.x+ encryption, you can still play online to retail games which require updates as you can access eshop on emunand.

Not to mention blue card can also be reactivated with a .cia file installed on sysnand and also the fact that I don't think playing DS games on 9.2 sysnand break the exploit as it don't use the Nintendo DS profile exploit (on 4.x, you have to reinstall the exploit every time, even though it only take a few seconds and you can always reinstall it easily as you can leave the exploit with your other ds roms, if you use the blue card).

For someone who don't care about retail games though, 4.x is probably the best choice.

That's my main point to downgrade.. you don't need the browser... They have been hacked before, the website can go down forever you never know.. One day they can just catch ghost! and loook you have a POS flashcart that can't be used..

They are already several mirror websites for the exploit, so this risk is pretty low (maxconsoles have one, for example). Same for the Gateway website, they are several non-official mirror websites.

What version is more stable? I heard sth of that the exploit of 4.5 could self fix it, so that couldnt get into Gatewaymode anymore? Is it true?

Stability is more or less the same for both exploits. Both sometimes fail to load, it's quite rare for both but it can happen.

Downgrade. Having to use the browser exploit is a pain in the ass compared to the DS profile method, and you can use NTR CFW for screenshots. Plus you cannot generate xorpads on 9.x, and if you're going to use emunand like any good GW user, there's no actual reason to have your sysnand on >4.x. Lastly, the home menu takes much longer to load on 9.x.

And yes, you can always upgrade back, but why would you want to?

In fact, loading the 4.x exploit take more time than the 9.x exploit (which is balanced by the fact 9.x is a little slower to boot).

4.x (assuming the cursor is on "system settings") : Enter in the settings (one click), Other settings (one click), User profile (one click), DS profile (one click) so four clicks to launch the exploit.

9.x (assuming the cursor is on the browser icon and that you added a favorite for the link). Launch browser (one click), favorites (one click), gateway website (one click) so three clicks to launch the exploit.

So it's more or less the same for both exploits.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then what is Emunand for? For some stupid theme on 9.4?
Too complicate, in 4.5 you need none of those.
6.x saves will become corrupt if you downgrade and try to run them in either Emunand or Classic Mode, so staying on 9.2 solves this issue. I had my Smash save get wiped when I downgraded, which wasn't that big of a deal. Don't have any other 6.x games though so it wasn't a huge dealbreaker for me. I could have saved my save though if I had just used savedatafiler, (had the digital version so it was doable for me) but I had no idea how to and never did it. Probably will do that though when I move all my stuff to my N3DS.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downgraded to 4.2 just so I have a lower firmware to fall back on when CFW improves. I don't have a Gateway so having a higher firmware version doesn't effect me much at the moment.
Only issue with emuNAND is that my saves are now useless. Even working with an emuNAND derived from a copy of my original firmware doesn't work. Fortunately, I don't mind starting Pokemon from the start. But if you do, probably hold off on downgrading (or use a Gateway to backup your save to inject later using some mystery magic).

NAND0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would stick with 9.2. But I have 2 systems on 4.5, and 2 on 9.2 lol so I could choose both if I really wanted to :P

Ove Tajet

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I got this message every time i try to downgrade
What's wrong ?

Attachments

• 20150120_191401(1).jpg
    20150120_191401(1).jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 161

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd downgrade because if the 3DS detects that an update is available, the browser will not be available until you update (I have a NAND backup if it happens, but I don't want to install a hardware mod).
The browser exploit is much quicker if you set the exploit page as the first page you see when you open the browser.
To do this, open your browser, go offline then go to the Gateway GO page and close the browser. Now everytime you open the browser it will automatically load the exploit :lol:

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know, when I get a Gw (an working one >w>) I plan to downgrade because the onpli exploit thing ... but you told that it's isn't a issue anymore... how do it work?

Deathbot64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey DarkFlare69, do you know if it is possible to restore the nand backup it creates or do i have to stay 4.5? I want to upgrade to 9.4 so i can get on the eshop for a bit but then i want to downgrade it back to 9.2 and i would rather now get it modded

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn