[POLL] Do you want to see the 3ds homebrew scene evolve into something such as the appstore?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by blujay, Jun 2, 2016.

?

Do you want to see the 3ds scene or the next homebrew scene evolve into an app store setup?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. blujay
    OP

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Obviously, the 3ds scene has evolved very much. However, some devs put A LOT of work into their apps (such as FBI, Decrypt9, etc.) They deserve some money. Obviously, there could still be freeware, but I personally would really like to see the 3ds scene, (and maybe the next Homebrew scene :P) involve a pay-to-play user created game setup. So that users would be able to make money off of homebrew. And, lets be honest, making ports of games such as undertale, downwell, should be left to the developers to make money off. The users need to make their own :P

(Not insulting porters btw)

SirBeethoven likes this.

2. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    Or they could put their homebrew games on the eShop. That makes more sense to me.

raystriker, Charganium and Kyouken like this.
  3. thefinetdoge

thefinetdoge Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    something similar to Cydia maybe?

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  4. blujay
    OP

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    The problem being, why would nintendo publish a homebrew application?

5. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    We did have a homebrew browser a while ago back when Ninjhax was first released. I'd love to see a return of it or another homebrew browser of some sort, especially one like Cydia.

6. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    I really like the idea, because this way the developer could make a few cents from their time and work that went into the homebrew. I have some game ideas that could be "sold", but I can't afford a devkit, and I don't think Ninty would sell a lone person a devkit :P

7. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    BrewMan.

Joel16, sniper_x002 and Bubsy Bobcat like this.
  8. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    Wow, I'm actually surprised I haven't heard of this yet. Shame it's 3dsx only though. :(

9. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    By @TheCruel - also has a homebrew called "freeShop" as you can, the names goes.. uses same GUI as BrewMan iirc.

10. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    I could tell from looking at the screenshots since I already have freeShop (freeShop is bae :wub:). I also remembered he made DrawAttack, ahh the memories!

I guess I should stop derailing the thread now. :shy:

11. TechyTurtle

TechyTurtle GBAtemp Regular

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    MY ASS!
    while the idea of an appstore sounds cool it has to be freeware. Mainly cause I did homebrew to get free 3ds shit
    and if I have to pay to get free 3ds game hombrew and etc. , that will suck. An appstore will only benefit as a way to get 3ds hombrew more easily than porting to the computer everytime or using a fttp (I think ?) server to transfer files.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  12. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Don't 3DS's libraries require the programmer to NOT make a profit out of his work? Like, explicitly saying any profit isn't allowed if using said library.

13. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    A lot of stuff is GPL, which is "You can make a profit, but whoever you sell it to gets the source too". The (as far as I know) most used library is ctrulib, which is released with a commercial-compatible license

14. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    *ahem* Colors! 3D

Last edited by LinkSoraZelda, Jun 2, 2016
  15. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Exactly and the whole point of homebrew has always been it should be free unless people want to donate to the developer. To charge for homebrew would go against the whole ethos of what homebrew has always been about in the first place.

16. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Either way, a lot of homebrew contains copyrighted content that can't be sold (and still is hosted on GBATemp no problem). In addition to ports and custom 3DS games.

17. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    LSDJ begs to differ.

18. Pokéidiot

Pokéidiot GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brazil
    \n?
    Homebrew should never be paid because all the devs that dedicated part of their time reverse-engineering the system didn't asked for a cent to use what they produced from all this RE job (ctrulib for example). Still, they deserve money for their hard work, but donating and buying are different actions.

About homebrew games, if it's dev don't plan on making money from it, no need to get CTR-SDK from Nintendo. Homebrew kits should be enough. If a dev really wants to make money from this, ...be a a nintendo dev.

Last edited by Pokéidiot, Jun 3, 2016
    Marko76 likes this.
  19. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Even if this did happen and you had to pay for homebrew a large percentage of people would use other means to get the software free of charge which would lead the the funny situation of people pirating homebrew that let's you pirate on your system.

Noroxus, Pokéidiot and blujay like this.
  20. undertaletrash

undertaletrash Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2016
    Belgium
    nowwhere in particular
    brewman still works (i think)

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.