[Poll]Do you think Mexico will pay for the wall?

Do you think Mexico will pay for the wall?

• (US) Fuck, yeah!

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • (US) We'll pressure them into doing it

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • (US) Perhaps the cost gets split up

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • (US) I'm not sure...perhaps not?

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • (US) I believe Enrique Peña when he says "of course not"

Votes: 37 21.9%
  • (non-US) Fuck, yeah!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • (non-US) We'll pressure them into doing it

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • (non-US) Perhaps the cost gets split up

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • (non-US) I'm not sure...perhaps not?

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • (non-US) I believe Enrique Peña when he says "of course not"

Votes: 61 36.1%
  • (any) Comedy last option

Votes: 28 16.6%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...guys. I normally don't make political polls, but this is getting ridiculous on a new degree...

As probably many others, I heard about Donald's idea of building a wall with Mexico and making Mexico pay for it. I thought this was just one of those retarded things would-be elected presidents said to appeal to...erm...the less than bright audience of voters. The news barely bothered to get a reaction from Mexico, and honestly: why should they?

Later, Trump repeated that statement when he was the sole republican candidate left. In fact, he had a meeting with the Mexican president (Enrique Peña) discussing this. This sparked my interest a bit, but that was until it was revealed that "the cost wasn't discussed at this time". But hey: at least Mexico's stance was clear. At least to the non-US* people: they weren't going to pay for the wall. Which is obviously only logical: you won't pay for your neighbor's wall either when he feels like building one next to your garden. And this is on a much, MUCH larger scale.

For some reason, this "little detail" of Mexico not paying didn't change Trump's promise. This didn't really bother me (I mean...if his voters are dumb enough to believe in fairy tales, they deserve a bunch of broken promises). But for some reason, he still thinks he can go through with this project while being the president. Okay, he added an extra word in his rhetoric, but it's nothing less of a "little detail": from now on, Mexico will pay BACK the wall. Meaning: at least initially every brick gets built with American tax dollars.

So...as I'm not American and not a fan of that blondy, my thoughts on this are pretty clear. What I'm curious about, though, is what others think. More precisely: what Americans think about the cost of that thing (no, you don't have to be old enough to vote).

I understand this can derail in a matter on the usefulness of the wall. However, this thread fulfills that goal pretty decently.

Thanks for your time to vote... :)

*I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but right before the 2nd Gulf war, literally the only people I knew who believed in the existence of weapons of mass destruction were American. Hence this poll: I wanna know if US residents have a different idea on this situation than everyone else.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with that lies with a concept I learned about in elementary school. It's called "sovereignty".

Basically, each government with legitimate, enforceable authority over its country decides what it wants to do.

For example: Trump and Congress both decide to remove funds from the UN. Because they get to decide where the US's money goes, they can do that according to sovereignty.

On the other hand: Trump deciding Mexico's paying for the wall. Trump is, unfortunately, not in charge of Mexico. Unless he convinces Mexico to pay for the wall (he won't), then they won't, according to sovereignty.

Reactions: Tigroid

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if the NAFTA renegotiation gets through, that annoying orange will say something like "see?, I sure made them pay for that wall"

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is what I think will happen. The wall will end up costing tens of billions of dollars, and the taxpayers will pay for every penny. Mexico will refuse to reimburse the US. Trump will use some extremely weak definition of "pay" like renegotiating a trade agreement or instituting a tariff that makes his followers happy. Mexico will respond in kind. Someone (maybe China) will step in to fill the trade vacuum left by the US.

Reactions: insidexdeath

Chronomaly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly doubt they'll even consider the proposal of a wall. Its mexico.
And Mexicans crossing illegally would just find another way around.

*meanwhile in our northern borders to canada*

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's pretty stupid from Trump's part to expect a foreign country to pay for something HE wants to do for HIS country.
I mean, it's like if Mexico's next president were to propose a new form of "national security" thing and expect the US to pay for it.

Where's the reasoning in that?
Why should Mexico do such a thing?
I hate to say it, but EPN (Mexico's president) did the right thing here (one of the few right things he has done in his presidency so far).
Mexico's economy is pretty bad to add a shit ton of expenses for just a spoiled old man's stupid idea.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait, I think I heard from the news that Trump was gonna pay himself for the wall...? Or maybe I've heard wrong. Dunno.
Anyway, this is what I believe will happen: Trump will start building that wall, then will realize it will cost waay too much to actually do it, and abandon ship.
The parts of the wall that will be actually build, will be turned by the mexican into a "Monument of Stupidity".

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha Mexico will pay for that wall or Trump is going to tear NAFTA up in their faces while eating a burrito! Mexico will plummet without the NAFTA agreement, anyone thinking China will pick up the immense market the US offers them is silly, the cost of trading at that distance is far is too much for Mexico to get a decent profit.

No more sending cars and clothes across the border, and pretty soon no more sending Paco across the border either!

BTW, pretty proud of America's youth: http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/11/10/middle-schoolers-build-that-wall-video-lead.cnn

Build the wall! Build the wall! Build the wall!

MAGA'd 2017

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mexico will plummet without the NAFTA agreement
Mexico will also plummet if they try to pay for the wall since it would be prohibitively expensive. It's a lose-lose situation for Mexico. I don't think people realize just how big that border is and why no one can afford to pay for it, let alone Mexico.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, if this thing goes through, we're all gonna have to foot the bill with promise that Mexico will eventually pay (that promise not actually coming from Mexico mind you), but they wont. I truly can't get over what a stupid idea the whole wall is. I'm genuinely curious if anyone not working a high school job like fast food cook has felt that they lost their job to illegal Mexican immigrants. Working in graphic design I've never personally felt threatened of losing my job by immigrants. So this need to pay a shit ton of money and build a wall is entirely lost on me.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
People are losing their jobs for a variety of reasons such as advancements in automation, clean energy, and general technology. When your are angry you want someone to blame. You don't get satisfaction from screaming at a robot. Mexico is a good scapegoat. Even if we reduced illegal immigration to zero I doubt we'll see gains in coal, automotive, or general employment.

And, as usual, the people with the least to spare will be the ones hit hardest by higher consumer prices.

Last edited by Blood Fetish,

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mexico will also plummet if they try to pay for the wall since it would be prohibitively expensive. It's a lose-lose situation for Mexico. I don't think people realize just how big that border is and why no one can afford to pay for it, let alone Mexico.

LOL, NAFTA alone costs the US a deficit upwards of $50 million US. You really think Paco Peña is willing to part with that over a $20 million dollar wall?

I for one hope they try not to, just to watch Trump tear up NAFTA and impose huge tariffs on Mexican products. He for once is going to structure trade deals in our favor, no more of this whimsy we are the moral compass of the globe. Screw it, Mexico doesn't respect us with the lack of regard for illegal immigration, so neither should we. When my dog goes and takes a dump in somebody elses yard, I clean up, it's time for the federales states of Mexico to clean up their mess too!

People are losing their jobs for a variety of reasons such as advancements in automation, clean energy, and general technology. When your are angry you want someone to blame. You don't get satisfaction from screaming at a robot. Mexico is a good scapegoat. Even if we reduced illegal immigration to zero I doubt we'll see gains in coal, automotive, or general employment.

And, as usual, the people with the least to spare will be the ones hit hardest by higher consumer prices.

LOL let's look at some actual facts. Our trade deficit with Mexico is huge:
http://www.cfr.org/trade/naftas-economic-impact/p15790

Time to put an end to this BS and make Mexico pay for the products they export or to ship those jobs right back to us. Either way it's a win win.

Also we need to get that oil in Iraq.

Last edited by el_gonz87,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.