Gaming [Poll] Do you think hackers deserve to play Pokémon competitively? Why or why not?

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 200 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 111 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since Sun and Moon is about to be released next week, I wanted to set this discussion here because there has been a lot of drama about the whole, cheating at VGC and how a few people think that cheating is okay, and others who think the opposite of them.

Using moderation tools to gen Pokémon in the game is an example everyone uses that is okay to use the tool for tournaments, but others who say it isn't 'cause it's cheating and they put no effort into their Pokémon.

I'm kinda curious to what this site thinks about all of this hacking and cheating drama going on.

Reactions: CeeDee

Blitzkind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted yes. It may be a unpopular opinion but in my mind no one is "cheating" at VGC, they are cheating at the single player campaign mode. I see the competitive side of the game and the main game as two separate things and I don't see a problem unless someone is actively cheating by giving a pokemon illegal movesets or abilities.

Just my two cents.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I voted yes, this type of thing is a gray area.
<rant>
1. Gamefreak/Nintendo/whoever the fuck runs tournaments needs to learn how to actually check for hacks.
2. Just because someone can hack doesn't mean that they will just gen a team every time. I openly gen for the purpose of testing obscure mechanics for smogon, yet I still legitimately obtain everything I use.
3. If you are too lazy to do half an hour of mindless breeding, then you don't know how to do basic multitasing (fun fact: you can stick paper under your circle pad to hold up while you circlejerk about your new counter to your shitty speed tiers).
4. It ruins other people's work that they actually spent not being a lazy fuck.
5. Most people who gen are beyond garbage at it. It is sad how badly people gen stuff when there is a fucking indicator telling you when something is illegal.
</rant>
tl;dr I support genning for testing purposes when things cannot be tested in a normal environment. Fuck people who don't have half the brain needed to actually get legitimate pokemon in the game and actually compete.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, sure. Most competitive players are likely going to be hacking in Pokemon, movesets, and such you could legitimately obtain through the game (anything more than that is definitely unfair)

Sure, legitimate players put more time and effort into making teams, but it's not like there's any difference anyways between a legit Pokemon and a well-made hacked Pokemon, meaning there's not really any way to tell if someone's hacked them in.

hisagishi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<rant>
1. Gamefreak/Nintendo/whoever the fuck runs tournaments needs to learn how to actually check for hacks.
2. Just because someone can hack doesn't mean that they will just gen a team every time. I openly gen for the purpose of testing obscure mechanics for smogon, yet I still legitimately obtain everything I use.
3. If you are too lazy to do half an hour of mindless breeding, then you don't know how to do basic multitasing (fun fact: you can stick paper under your circle pad to hold up while you circlejerk about your new counter to your shitty speed tiers).
5. Most people who gen are beyond garbage at it. It is sad how badly people gen stuff when there is a fucking indicator telling you when something is illegal.
</rant>
tl;dr I support genning for testing purposes when things cannot be tested in a normal environment. Fuck people who don't have half the brain needed to actually get legitimate pokemon in the game and actually compete.

Did they change IVs to make it easier to get perfects? IIRC from my times with gold/silver it sometime took pros hundreds to thousands of eggs to get perfects.

Posghetti

Un-official ReVeluv Leader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what you're defining as "hacking" or "hackers" really.
Those who use PokeGen, sure I don't really care, I'll still end up killing em anyways (jsut kidding don't challenge me, I'm a newb :3)
But those who use NTR Online or something... hop outta here

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they change IVs to make it easier to get perfects? IIRC from my times with gold/silver it sometime took pros hundreds to thousands of eggs to get perfects.
1. pros and gen 2 dont really mix...
2. breeding in this game is literally the easiest thing in the world since you can have one parent hold an item which will pass a random 5 IVs from both parents instead of the normal 3

Reactions: wormdood

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
<rant>
</rant>

tbf i stopped caring about the IV grind after they changed it to cater to most plebs

olders games like the gba and GB ones had to grind nows its just gg no re

CitizenSnips

a seldom-used crab named Lucky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think it's fine as long as you could also obtain the same pokemon legitimately (for example, i think it'd be fine if you genned a Charizard that had the same moves/ability/stats you could obtain legitimately) all it does is saves you time when prepping your team and really doesn't make a huge difference in the battle itself

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Does it really matter? Some players couldn't care less about meticulously raising their Pokemon, no matter how easy Gamefreak makes it. But said player could be completely interested in competitive battles. Is that really so bad, if they just generate some 6IV Mewtwos and make a team out of it? So long as they aren't creating things outside of the game's legit rules (Shedinja+Wonderguard) it really makes no difference.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As long as genned mons are completely indistinguishable from those obtained through normal gameplay ('legitimately'), then I couldn't care less. I see it as a personal decision of individuals as to whether they want to deal with going through catching, breeding, and training or not, and this decision has no real impact (in my view) on the end result of competitive battling.

That being said, if those who gen are caught should face whatever consequences they may, and in Gen 6 breeding competitive mons is so easy and straightforward that for tournaments you may as well be legit (as the risks outweigh the gains, in my view).

I take issue with the title/premise of this thread due to the use of the word 'deserve'; I don't think anyone gets to decide that other than those who make the personal decision to gen.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,
Reactions: Ryccardo and Chary

CLOUD9RED

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Yes. Those who edit Pokemon actually are spending their time wisely. Instead of brainlessly breeding for that 'perfect' mon, for what's sake?
Just my 2 cents.

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon is a game of RNG to me, but to some people, it's a game of skill.

Let's say this is 100% true, which I'm willing to believe -

the skill is in gameplay, not in what you have to play with. As far as I'm concerned anyone can use any amount of hacks so long as what they're hacking in is obtainable other ways - or doesn't affect gameplay, like shinies.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
does botting count as cheating since your not hacking the game and just sending inputs to do breeding for you

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I haven't personally gone into competition with hacked mons, I'd say it's fair as long as they are within legal parameters (No sturdy shedinjas). I (and I'm sure many others) would rather just get what I'm going for at the get-go rather than spend a couple hours riding a bike in a circle for them (only to find I may need to spend a couple more hours at it).

Crosvek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Heck yea, as long as you hack under the legal stats i see no point on wasting time breeding... skill is proven in the battlefield not soft resetting or riding a bike for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or more like...