Gaming [Poll] Do you think hackers deserve to play Pokémon competitively? Why or why not?

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 200 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 111 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckling

Sorry for being dumb ;(
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yes, because they go all the way to get perfect pokemon to play competitively.. (Is what I think)

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
well cheating still takes effort you still have you build a team it just takes away the hours of bikeing soft resetting and grinding its just like showdown

Reactions: DeoNaught

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it really matter? Some players couldn't care less about meticulously raising their Pokemon, no matter how easy Gamefreak makes it. But said player could be completely interested in competitive battles. Is that really so bad, if they just generate some 6IV Mewtwos and make a team out of it? So long as they aren't creating things outside of the game's legit rules (Shedinja+Wonderguard) it really makes no difference.

Basically this. It's two paths to the same result. The battles in the end rely on skill and luck (or RNG), how much of a balance those two fields are is pretty much case by case. If a genner wins a battle, it's because of skill and luck, not because they genned pokemon. Also, this will probably be close to a moot point if hyper training is very accessible, as in the bottle caps are not a pain to gather. Breeding has reached a point where you can get a 5-6IV pokemon in less than a day, legends and events are a different story, and hyper training would minimize soft resetting.

I gen for a league, and the other thing to bring up is time. Most of these people basically have a life, they have things to do, a lot of them are teens and therefore have school and such. Pokemon being an involved experience when you get into breeding and competitive play, that's a lot of time to commit. These people don't have the time, thus they require shortcuts so they could do battles, meet their deadlines and run a little league.

Me personally, I'm not too skilled a player, so if I hack and challenge you, I'll probably lose. Can one say that's because of me hacking? No, that's stupid. The legal checks are for the most part okay, don't see people sneaking illegal combinations, actual things that cannot exist at all, things that can be hacked with PKHax, not PKHex, as already stated, Shedinja+Wonderguard. I wish such a meta existed in the official pokemon games, like Smogon's Balanced Hackmons.

Reactions: Chary

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
the thing is its hard to get legendarys with full 6 ivs and a good nature and a genner can just get those in seconds for some one that can't use homebrew because there updated and cannot pump out that many good pokemon so its that genners will have more pokemon with better ivs then legit players thats how it disadvantages legit players since people who gen are going to have the best teams with all 6 ivs and some one who played legit may only have 5 ivs on some of there pokemon

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The legal checks are for the most part okay, don't see people sneaking illegal combinations, actual things that cannot exist at all, things that can be hacked with PKHax, not PKHex, as already stated, Shedinja+Wonderguard.
I'm confused, shedinja always has wonderguard. (Unless you meant shedinja with something other than wonderguard, in which case ignore me.)

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
the thing that makes it unfair is not every one can get due to legit players having updated 3ds and having no exploit game or power saves and they are more likey to to have less pefect teams compared to a genner what will have 6 ivs all on of his pokemon.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
It is only practical to assume that everyone has equal access to the tools for making legal pokemon. Those who choose not to use the tools are screwed unless the format involves both catching and battling.

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does it matter at all with Sun&Moon ? Breeding to get the perfect stats will be completly pointless, Sun&Moon allows to modify IV's with items.
Making a pokemon with illegal abilitys or EV's over 510 will not be able to enter tournaments, but IV's are now pointless, anyone can make a perfect pokemon without any effort. (Well they still need to cheat the items, but no cares about this...)

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Does it matter at all with Sun&Moon ? Breeding to get the perfect stats will be completly pointless, Sun&Moon allows to modify IV's with items.
Making a pokemon with illegal abilitys or EV's over 510 will not be able to enter tournaments, but IV's are now pointless, anyone can make a perfect pokemon without any effort. (Well they still need to cheat the items, but no cares about this...)
you still need the bottle caps its not like you can just instaly make the pokemon have 6 ivs and cheating in the bottle caps would do the same as cheating in the ivs so its point less to cheat them in anyways

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put over 200 hours on pokemon X. At that point, I'm perfectly okay with building any new pokemon. I don't particular want to spend another 20+ hours breeding the right moves, resetting to get perfect IVs, and training to get the EVs I want. Ain't nobody got time for that. I can do it, I have done it, but I have no qualms about not doing it for each new generation for the same pokemon.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: RedBlueGreen

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, this is like life. The person with more money wins. Or is that Monopoly®?

Either way, until there is a way to do a Pokémon Stadium-esque mechanic (having set pokémon) you choose from to build a team, does anything really matter?

Take for instance, I cloned pretty much every single pokémon and item (X/Y; google my name, nintendolife and clone), had perfect shinies (thanks, TSV-days), and do you think for a second someone said, 'Oh, I want a near-perfect shiny Mew; just don't give me clone with a Masterball, second thought, cuz pokéthics, I want the most turdish turd I can get.' lel.

FYI, people actually genned 0IV legend-trolls.

In the end, real, genned, cloned, pooped out of a Snorlax butt--it's origin wouldn't matter if it's in the game anyway....except missingno..maybe; don't ask, don't tell, don't know, don't care.

waytl;def.dr: $, Monopoly®, Pokemon Stadium, you get mad when I gen perfect but don't care if I gen turds, crybabies, snorlax butt-poop. Ham sandwiches.

Reactions: RustInPeace
D

Deleted User

It's only cheating if you have a unfair advantage.What sort of advantage does having all 6 Pokemon shiny do in battle exactly to give that player an advantage over the other in a 6v6 doubles when you both are running legal move sets and abilitys? Cheating would be having wonder guard on every party member with a illegal move.Come back and shitpost when breeding becomes a actual competition instead of battling anti genners.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Ryccardo

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only cheating if you have a unfair advantage.What sort of advantage does having all 6 Pokemon shiny do in battle exactly to give that player an advantage over the other in a 6v6 doubles when you both are running legal move sets.

The belief that you are a leprechaun. Definitely it. or you genuinely get a salty taste in your mouth from the jealous-sea.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cute and all that people want to make the Pokemon legit but..in reality..most people don't have the time for that in the earlier gens. Tedious shit.

Yes.

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For me, it depends on the kind of cheating. Cheating on the actual tournament would be a complete no-no for me. However if they "hack" in Pokémon and are too lazy to train it themselves, I'd cut them some slack, especially if it's for reasons like not enough time. Also as said before, if it can't be proven, it's not hacked. ;)

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's also worth asking whether cloning items to use for a competitive team constitutes 'cheating' as well. I suppose back in the day people would have also asked if RNG manipulation was 'against the rules'. The use of the word 'hackers' in the title of this thread, as well its conflation with 'cheaters' by the OP, is pretty ambiguous.

I remember back with RBY there were some people on Azure Heights who believed that anything that you couldn't do in a single game (e.g. putting Earthquake on more than one mon in a team) was against the spirit of the game.

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course they should be able to play.

What more are they doing other than not wasting their time making digital monsters have sex hundreds of times just to get ready for battling?

To me, and many others, the game is just a battle engine. For the most part, I couldn't care less about the story and whatnot, I just want to get to battling.

Edit: so long as they're hacking in a legitimate way, and not doing stupid stuff, similar to what this thread says

https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?50232-Project-Pok%E9mon-does-NOT-support-cheating

Last edited by fodder,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1