POLL: Are smartwatches a waste of money?

Are smartwatches a waste of cash?

• Yes

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Depends on price/features

Votes: 33 44.0%

• Total voters

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
depends on your use case..
use my galaxy active to easily read messages without removing phone from my pocket at work... and the health feedback is useful. easily take calls while working also .. I'm in construction gwiw

Reactions: slaphappygamer

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does a bluetooth fitness tracker count as a smart watch?

I assume for the price it was second hand?

Would you pay MSRP for it?

Other than google pay and a full keyboard, can do as much as a regular WearOS watch, which isn't really much to begin with. Hoping the new WearOS2 is actually worth it.

They had them on sale at amazon/best buy 1 day, black version was $29.99. Regular price I think is $59.99, which I wouldn't pay for a fitness tracker.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
In my personal experience, no. I have my Galaxy Active 2 synced up to my Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G phone, and it's a life-saver for me. As someone with autism, it helps me when I get a message by buzzing me of the alerts. I also like that the phone and watch both signal me when they de-sync, alerting me when I may have forgotten to grab my phone when I get to my car. Stuff like that has changed my life for the better. I also love the health monitoring features, and the ability to voice-text using my watch while at work, since we can't use our phones on the sales floor. My only beef with it is the battery life being utter shit, and the battery-saving modes are worthless because they shut off those features that I use. I hjate that it barely lasts an entire 24 hours on a single charge. Any good smart watch should last about 5 days or more before needing recharged.

Reactions: hippy dave

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
bling.jpg

Bling always looks good

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I use a watch when I've got my phone?
I started wearing a watch because I wear gloves and my hands get quite dirty. Also, I leave my phone in my truck, while at work, so I don’t damage it. If you are in a profession where you work with your hands, you probably do wear a watch.

Reactions: RichardTheKing

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In their current use case and function they are pretty much useless in comparison to your Smartphone. Not just that but given their design and overall eventual obsolescence combined with the uselessness fashion focus of rare materials being used for luxury models you can be rest assured that in 3 years your 14k Rose Gold Apple Watch is going to be sitting in your desk as the battery no longer holds a charge. Meanwhile my mechanical watch will still keep going long after I am dead with some care.

I am not saying that Wearable tech is useless, or that there should not be a push for them, its just the tech needs to actually be useful enough to not make it a redundant case that saves you a few seconds of pulling out your smartphone. Hell, the concept of things like Google Glass had a far more promising future in wearable tech before it was all focused to watches. It just feels like we went backwards in the focus of what wearable tech should be about and how it works. It should be something that is more convenient than your phone and useful, not something that is as clunky and redundant compared to your current device. Making them fashionable and luxury is also inanely stupid as these things will need to be upgraded/replaced now and again making the precious metals that are made with them a money sink in the long run.

The current state of wearable tech is ass backwards, hopefully with the push of AR glasses more we will get back on the right path of what should matter in this field.

Reactions: smileyhead

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉