Polish developer's insane Fallout 2 remake as a 3D first-person shooter

Polish developer ConstructVOD recently released a Youtube video showcasing his work on an incredible remake of the epic Fallout 2. Originally released as a 2D ISO game a la Diablo, this independent developer is recreating the entire game as a 3D first-person shooter game.

Here are some screenshots of the original for comparison:

ss_3f91a8940ad9f3db99e604dbbb2f36dc189395fa.600x338.jpg
ss_84fe8b4a65ca8ba733c5009cf783b29e40379fef.600x338.jpg

While good progress is being made, recent events leave us to wonder whether the project will ever be released in full. Will Bethesda, recently acquired by Microsoft, ever allow it? DMCA notice coming in 3...2...

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another game I'd love to see get a similar treatment would be GTA Chinatown Wars.

Really really loving what we've been seeing from modders more and more with older games in recent years, with decomps completely enhancing classic games in all sorts of glorious ways, to old Game Boy games getting full color DX mods, or bizarre things like this taking a game with an isometric vantage point and turning it into a 3D experience. It's just great to see how the fans have found great new ways to really enhance classic games while still keeping them true to the original experience at the same time.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another game I'd love to see get a similar treatment would be GTA Chinatown Wars.

Really really loving what we've been seeing from modders more and more with older games in recent years, with decomps completely enhancing classic games in all sorts of glorious ways, to old Game Boy games getting full color DX mods, or bizarre things like this taking a game with an isometric vantage point and turning it into a 3D experience. It's just great to see how the fans have found great new ways to really enhance classic games while still keeping them true to the original experience at the same time.
Believe it or not Chinatown Wars is fully 3d rendered on PSP except the characters are layered 2d sprites, I don't know how that differs from the DS version.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Jesus Christ stop, this joke is getting annoying. Not everything in gaming that's unofficial will be c&d'd.
This business practice is getting annoying, the jokes will stop when the companies back off a little.

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
This business practice is getting annoying, the jokes will stop when the companies back off a little.
Yes I agree that their practices are annoying and scummy, and yes I am also mad that they take down games, even if it's justified. But good lord those jokes have been said 10 billion times before, so much so that they're worse than the companies which DMCA the stuff in the first place.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yes I agree that their practices are annoying and scummy, and yes I am also mad that they take down games, even if it's justified. But good lord those jokes have been said 10 billion times before, so much so that they're worse than the companies which DMCA the stuff in the first place.
Yeah, the "obligatory" jokes get really annoying after a while.
But if Costello hadn't posted it, someone else would have.

It's a cycle. DMCAs/C&Ds become ubiquitous, then the "C&D incoming" jokes become ubiquitous, then complaints about the "C&D incoming" jokes become ubiquitous, then we find some other joke to automatically slap onto some other common post, like some Pavlovian reflex, and so it goes.

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Yeah, the "obligatory" jokes get really annoying after a while.
But if Costello hadn't posted it, someone else would have.

It's a cycle. DMCAs/C&Ds become ubiquitous, then the "C&D incoming" jokes become ubiquitous, then complaints about the "C&D incoming" jokes become ubiquitous, then we find some other joke to automatically slap onto some other common post, like some Pavlovian reflex, and so it goes.
I guess you're right, though that still doesn't make it less annoying. Oh well

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna lie, I’m not really liking the look of this, and I can’t put my finger on why.
For me it's because it looks like they're using the isometric sprites still for NPCs which just looks bad, it makes them look tiny unless you're really close, at which point they're all pixelated and blurry. I'm assuming it's a Doom 2 mod utilizing a source port, so there's a lot that can be done to make it much better. Some of the source ports even support 3D models now.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
you sound like the type of people who complain "REPOST!!!" when someone posts something you already read 6 months ago on another site

like, "I’ve read this elsewhere so no one else gets to read it again" sort of thing

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
you sound like the type of people who complain "REPOST!!!" when someone posts something you already read 6 months ago on another site

like, "I’ve read this elsewhere so no one else gets to read it again" sort of thing
Huh? I never complain about this kind of stuff, in fact I'm actually glad stories and posts are shared in different places to have a greater reach.

My issue is, again, the prevalent reuse of the "(insert game corporation) will DMCA fan project because they did it before" when it's just 3 or a few more projects out of millions of projects.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, looks quite decent. He only showcased the combat, i wonder what the overworld, environment, buildings etc. will look like when it's done.
The 2D character & NPC sprites are no big deal, unless they affect the gameplay in someway, like the hit detection, interactions etc.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's a great project's idea, but I would have prefer to see Fallout 3+ in 2D isometric instead :P
I have a thing for the first games style with more tactical battles.

Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?