Pokkén Tournament announced for Wii U for Spring 2016

spring-2016-pokken-656x369.jpg

Today The Pokemon Company have announced that Pokemon fighting game, Pokkén Tournament is coming to the West for the WiiU in 2016.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U has now three games I am very interested in. Oh boy, I might actually get it when I have the money.

Please make more characters though. A roster of 7 characters is insulting for a fighting game in 2016. Pokémon Type Wild has 9 and it's free.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Interesting. This game didn't seem like something the Wii U could handle, but then again, fighting games don't have to deal with a bunch of NPC's, so there's less logic going on and the models can be more complex. I hope it won't be too watered down.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Interesting. This game didn't seem like something the Wii U could handle, but then again, fighting games don't have to deal with a bunch of NPC's, so there's less logic going on and the models can be more complex. I hope it won't be too watered down.
I thought it was ingame footage from a wiiu lol

Now I fear watered down stuff lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I thought it was ingame footage from a wiiu lol Now I fear watered down stuff lol
The video is marked "footage from Arcade version", so I expect the final footage to be less impressive. Still, fighters tended to look spectacular even last gen, and the Wii U is beefier than the PS3/360, so maybe the game will look more or less the same.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The video is marked "footage from Arcade version", so I expect the final footage to be less impressive. Still, fighters tended to look spectacular even last gen, and the Wii U is beefier than the PS3/360, so maybe the game will look more or less the same.
Watered down or not, I am going to buy the game anyway lol

#definitelynotafanboy

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
This actually deflated my hype quite significantly. Those attack animations look so slow and stilted that a.) it's impossible to feel any real weight behind them, and b.) YOUR OPPONENT WILL SEE EVERYTHING COMING A MILE AWAY. Seriously, it looks like they're trying to fight while swimming in taffy. That, and the moves don't look very original or exciting, then again, that might just be because of the terrible animation. What used to be a pressing reason to buy a WiiU for me has now become another grain of sand on a beach; completely forgettable at best and mildly irritating at worst.

...then again the game might come out wonderfully and I'll dine on my dirty socks. Kinda doubt it, though.

Reactions: VinsCool

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This actually deflated my hype quite significantly. Those attack animations look so slow and stilted that a.) it's impossible to feel any real weight behind them, and b.) YOUR OPPONENT WILL SEE EVERYTHING COMING A MILE AWAY. Seriously, it looks like they're trying to fight while swimming in taffy. That, and the moves don't look very original or exciting, then again, that might just be because of the terrible animation. What used to be a pressing reason to buy a WiiU for me has now become another grain of sand on a beach; completely forgettable at best and mildly irritating at worst.

...then again the game might come out wonderfully and I'll dine on my dirty socks. Kinda doubt it, though.
There are many fighting games with relatively slow movement that are still competitive and fun, DoA would be one of them. Even if the opponent blocks, there are always throws, block-breaking attacks and other mechanics counteracting blocking incoming attacks. Everything depends on how this game will be crafted - slower doesn't mean worse, often times it means more strategic and less button-mashy.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
There are many fighting games with relatively slow movement that are still competitive and fun, DoA would be one of them. Even if the opponent blocks, there are always throws, block-breaking attacks and other mechanics counteracting blocking incoming attacks. Everything depends on how this game will be crafted - slower doesn't mean worse, often times it means more strategic and less button-mashy.

Yes, but if they know how to react ahead of time, all the options for counter in the world wouldn't change anything. They'd simply pick one, be it from a pool of 1 or 1,000. Besides that, the animations themselves look stiff, with accelerations of limbs making the attacks look more akin to lazily fanning wind then acts of aggression.

D

Dork

What the fuck is with these retarded camera angles that don't give both fighters equal focus? I was hoping this game would just be a Tekken clone with pokemon but it looks like its just going to be something really weird and only to be played for short-lived novelty.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
What the fuck is with these retarded camera angles that don't give both fighters equal focus? I was hoping this game would just be a Tekken clone with pokemon but it looks like its just going to be something really weird and only to be played for short-lived novelty.
Tekken-based but behind the shoulder like the DBZ Xenoverse, Tenkaichi or Raging Blast games.

Street Fighter IV on 3DS had the feature to play behind the shoulder which was kinda cool DBZ Shin Budokai games on PSP could do the same too for those who'd prefer Tenkaichi-style).

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I played this a few days ago, it was pretty fun for the short time I had with it, but I don't know how the longevity will be. It doesn't really play too much like tekken (though my only experience with tekken was a few rounds of tekken 3 in arcades years ago). There are a lot of special attacks with projectiles and area based things. There are really two seperate aspects to the game, first you are running around in 3d space and trying to get in close to attack. Then at some point (I never figured out exactly what triggers it, maybe when you land a pretty strong attack?) it switches to more of a standard fighting game on a 2d plane. Then I believe it goes back into the 3d mode if someone gets knocked away. The controls were really simple. There is basically a weak attack, strong attack, jump, and block. I think there was also a button for special attacks, can't really remember though. Combos are of the tekken/virtual fighter/doa variety where you just string buttons together. I wasn't able to find much variety in the combos, but I only played through 1 game. You also get an assist character, but there seems to be an extremely limited number of them.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That boy yo