Pokewalker Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Jamstruth, Apr 27, 2010.

Apr 27, 2010

Pokewalker Review by Jamstruth at 8:29 PM (3,658 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    I made a video review for me to shamelessly plug and get a lot of views for. The camera is bad, I know, I don't have a good camera that auto-focusses unfortunately so you get a blurry mess, hopefully my explanation makes up for it.

Overall I give the Pokewalker a 6 out of 10. The hardware is solid and feels nice in the hand and the graphics are really good for such a cheap product but its just so light on the features. Your Pokemon levels up 1 and it can find some items and some common Pokemon. It could have been a lot more fun and given us some more mini-games to play on it.

2. Overman1977

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Can I get a little more meat on this sandwich?....do you think the pokewalker is actually worth going out and buying the game rather than using a rom? What common pokemon (just a few examples would be nice), what mini-games are on it now, if any?....can you battle pokemon with another person who has a pokewalker? I don't know if you intended this to be a full review or not, but you certainly answered some of my questions.

Thanks for the effort, much appreciated.

3. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    Mini Games are the Dowsing Machine and PokeRadar.
    Dowsing machine is a random guessing game for finding items. Theres a choice of 6 bushes and you pick one, if there's an item behind it you get it, if not you get a clue such as "Its near" or "Its far away." "Its near" means it is in one of the bushes right next to the one you picked, "Its far away" means 2 or more spaces. This gets old very quickly and is a bit of a cop-out if you ask me.
    PokeRadar is for catching Pokemon. What Pokemon you encounter depends on the route you take. You and your opponent have 4 hit points and you can either Attack, Evade or try and catch the Pokemon. Attack will just attack the opponent, evade will evade their attack and attack back and catch throws a pokeball. Get your opponent down to 1 hit point and throw the ball. There is no reward for beating the wild Pokemon.
    You can connect to other Pokewalkers but it is not a competition. Connecting plays out a very limited animation and gives you and item. To avoid abuse of this item giving you can only connect to the same Pokewalker once per day.

It isn't worth it just for the Pokewalker, I got it because I prefer using a retail cart for good games, when I have them on my Flashcart I tend to get a bit distracted. If you're far in on your flashcart its best to stick with that as you cannot read/write the save easily without a USB SAV dumper (the Plus version)

4. Overman1977

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Nice, thx for all the info! I think I'll buy it....Nintendo might as well get 'some' money off me. [​IMG]

5. Princess Rozalin

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    Not Bad i Bough both HG and SS the day it came out its been Pretty good Belive it or not evreyday i go out i Carried my Pokewalker just to make some wats LV up my Pokemon and Unlock New Roads for the Pokewalker.

PS:Nice Review for People who didnt buy it.The Camera was Blurry but i was able to see Very Clearly and the Review was Intact to what was Available so 10/10 ^^

6. Krobelus

Member Krobelus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I give your review a 6/10.

I personally enjoyed the Pokewalker, as it's a nice little tool that'll allow you to get Pokemon you can't usually get, especially at the beginning when Rare Pokemon are sparse. I don't think it was meant to be aww inspiring, but merely a nice little addition to an awesome game, nothing more.

7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Pokéwalker review? Say what?

Anyways, I'd give it a 8.5/10. It's very light but sturdy, and the fact that you can walk around with your Pokémon every day is neat. I do it like this: I go to school in the morning with a Pokémon in the Pokéwalker, then when I return home I put the Pokémon back to SoulSilver, recieve the caught items/found Pokémon and see my Pokémon level up, then I put the Pokémon back on the Pokéwalker, go to bed, go to school with the Pokéwalker in the morning, etc.

8. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    I agree, its a fun little thing but...overall its a little underwhelming and there's very little you can do with it. Might change the rating to a 7.5/10 but I don't think it warants any higher than that.

9. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    I never take it to school, I'm afraid it'll fall out of my pocket, and that would be very embarassing...

10. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Good review, ever since I got SS on launch ive been taking my PokeWalker where ever I go, its a really neat device and im ready to buy all future pokemon games if they have the build in IR for the pokewalker [​IMG]

11. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    It was basically an anti-piracy device. It offered something extra for buying rather than pirating as well as extra pester-power to the kids. I personally think that the remakes that Nintendo have made have been really good. I played LeafGreen to death and I'm enjoying this one (its my first time playing G/S in any form)

12. Nintendude92

Member Nintendude92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can order the walker separately via Nintendo's online shop.

13. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Yeah, but that's only for when you lose it. You can't use it with the ROM or anything because the flashcarts don't have IR.

14. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    There's something weird about this "IR communication" for some reason my camera doesn't pick it up but it picks up the Wii Sensor bar and TV remotes.

15. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Nice review and personally I love my pokewalker, I bring it everywhere (with the sound off) But I agree some more features would have been nice.

16. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I totally agree with the whole gambling thing PV. At the very least, it would add something else to play other than the Dowsing and Pokeradar (which both require Watts). Although I suppose Nintendo did this on purpose to get kids to be active. Hell, the only way I have so many Watts is because of all the commute to and from classes in college.

Two things I don't like about the Pokewalker: 1. The damn thing scratches too easily, just by keeping it in my pocket. Pretty soon I won't even be able to see the screen. 2. When it's in my pocket, some of the buttons get pressed. I literally just take it out of my pocket and find that I have 3 new items and some Pokemon that I never caught. Okay this has never happened, but I do lose a lot of Watts this way and it probably wastes battery life too.

17. Porygon-X

Member Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

China
    You said "rubbish"! Cool!

18. SamusKnight2K

Member SamusKnight2K GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've had mine for maybe about a week so far and it doesn't have a single scratch on it. Normally I keep my DSi in my pocket and clip the Pokewalker to the inside of my pant pocket. Using an extra wrist strap I had I attached it to the Pokewalker and looped it around the strap on my DSi so if it ever does fall off it won't get lost. Other times I loop the strap around my laces on my shoes and clip it to the top of my shoes. It stays firmly put and doesn't move around. After banging the hell out of my old cellphone I've trained myself to be aware of where I keep any sharp or scratch-inducing objects in my pockets. I never put my keys in my pant pocket without checking whats in there first. As for buttons being pressed, just try to be careful not to put it into any snug areas. Also if it DOES turn on, leave it untouched for about 90 seconds and it should turn off again.