mad maniak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone,

I was wondering; would it be possible to remake or rip the Pokéwalker software and to make a homebrew out of it that could use .pkm files (from PokéSav) so that people that use the game ROM can still "use" the Pokéwalker?
Edit: it could be a windows application, too, although I would personally prefer a DS version.

It could use multiple different means of measurement for steps. Possibilities are;
- Pedometer that came with the other DS walking game (forgot the name)
(Or maybe even the Arkonoid peripheral thingy that measures movement?)
- Pressing a button; one press = one step (or 3 presses = one step or something like that)
(I mean, let us face it, most people are shaking those things for "steps" anyway, so this would probably be the best way.)
- Simply cheating for the required steps (gimme 1mil steps!; ... done)

This will allow people to try out the Pokéwalker in a sense, and it would allow people to get (semi) legit Pokémon that can only be gained using the Pokéwalker normally.

A problem is the item finding thingy... it could be made so that the homebrew makes a .txt file that stores what items are "found" so that you can manually add them to your game using PokéSav. Again, to preserve legitness of your save game.

Is this possible/is anyone interested in producing this? I think there is a pretty high demand for something like this, seeing the popularity of Pokémon.

Thanks for reading; any and all suggestions are welcome.
smile.gif

S

solarsaturn9

You don't know how much effort it takes to write this kind of program. You can't just make a forum post and expect someone to write a program just because you think it would be a good idea.

That aside let's get something straight:

The pokewalker communicates with the DS game via an IR connection! If your flashcart does not have IR hardware (currently none do) it cannot receive IR signals. So it is impossible for those of you who do not purchase the game to take advantage of the pokewalker peripheral.

And finally, even if you used an IR device and ran a program on your pc that could send the same type of packets that the pokewalker sends you would not be able to receive the data packets... for further explanation please refer to the above statement

mad maniak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please reread my post, since it seems you don't get it.
laugh.gif

Edit: to try and help you understand what I mean, here is it again in a simplified version.
smile.gif

The homebrew (be it PC or DS) could open a .pkm file (exported from Pokésav) and the specified Pokémon would then enter the digital Pokéwalker. Any (in the Pokéwalker) catched Pokémon could then be exported to another .pkm file, as well as the previously imported Pokémon. These Pokémon can then be put back in the savegame of your Heart Gold or Soul Silver games (or even other games
smile.gif
).
Items, as previously described, can't be exported and must be added manually. The digital Pokéwalker can, however, keep track of which items are found (in a .txt file, for example).

Don't get me wrong, I understand this is a big project. Heck, I couldn't know better, I am a hobbyist programmer myself (Java/PHP and such). I am therefore not assuming or ordering anyone to make this. I am politely asking, and if no one responds, I am fine with that.

Now please, get the heck off my lawn.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i'm so glad i'm too old to care about this pokemoncrap. this whole thread reads like blahblah to me. what the hell is a pokewalker? is that like some secret ninja pokemon that farts lightnin' out its butt?

if your talking about just parsing data... thats super easy. you should ask soulanger to add this feature to his homebrew men-u-do.

-another world

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
i'm so glad i'm too old to care about this pokemoncrap. this whole thread reads like blahblah to me. what the hell is a pokewalker? is that like some secret ninja pokemon that farts lightnin' out its butt?

-another world
May I ask how old you are?

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
solarsaturn9 said:
You don't know how much effort it takes to write this kind of program. You can't just make a forum post and expect someone to write a program just because you think it would be a good idea.

That aside let's get something straight:

The pokewalker communicates with the DS game via an IR connection! If your flashcart does not have IR hardware (currently none do) it cannot receive IR signals. So it is impossible for those of you who do not purchase the game to take advantage of the pokewalker peripheral.

And finally, even if you used an IR device and ran a program on your pc that could send the same type of packets that the pokewalker sends you would not be able to receive the data packets... for further explanation please refer to the above statement
You shouldn't overreact. He was clearly asking for a simplified version.

On topic:
I don't think it will be possible. Well, in theory, you should make a homebrew, able to read your pokémon save, then have it "extract" on of you pokémon. Then look at the datastructure of this pokéwalker, "add" that to your pokémon save, and it should be done, but not with some UI that pokémon gives you.
That's pretty hard to code.

mad maniak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, obviously, an adapted emulator would be the best bet if it is somehow possible to extract the pokéwalker firmware... I am not sure how this is done, though.

Another option is an entire recode. Of course, someone would need to come up with the right algorithms. Also, the b*ttload of sprites will be problematic... it would simply take up *a lot* of time.

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be nice, but I doubt it would ever be made due to the complexity.
If anyone wants to attempt it, You have my support:D.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
This seems like an interesting idea, not sure how doable it is though.
I think the best bet for this working would be a complete from scratch homebrew not an emulation.
In time all the info you ever wanted (and some you didn't) about every little detail about the PokeWalker will be available somewhere. Once that's done the hardest part would be recreating it in homebrew form.
That would still take a TON of work though.

As for the step counting mechanic why not have a bunch of options? If you have something that can detect movement have the option, if you'd rather mash A that's an option too, and I'd even throw in an over time option, adding wats at a rate consistent with avarage walking.

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Salax said:
nutella5600 said:
Perhaps you could... buy the game?
I buy all my games, but it's very convenient to have them all on one cartridge.
I agree with both of these statements. Thankfully for me, I don't use my DS anymore, so when HGSS comes out it may be the only game I use.
ohmy.gif
Therefore.. problem eliminated.

mad maniak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rykin said:
Salax said:
nutella5600 said:
Perhaps you could... buy the game?
I buy all my games, but it's very convenient to have them all on one cartridge.
I agree with both of these statements. Thankfully for me, I don't use my DS anymore, so when HGSS comes out it may be the only game I use.
ohmy.gif
Therefore.. problem eliminated.
Not if you want to use Pokésav.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.