Pokemon X/Y’s Pentagon Icon is a Hack Checker

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
In Pokemon X/Y, a blue pentagon can be seen next to your Pokemon while viewing the status screen in trades, the box, and so on. It was initially unclear what it was intended for, but we now have an answer.
Game Freak included the pentagon as a hack checker of sorts. Pokemon who have the pentagon are confirmed to be legitimate. If the creature doesn’t have the blue icon, that means there was an error and it has been hacked.
The Pokemon Company’s simple definition of the pentagon is that the Pokemon is okay to use.

Source
pokemon_x_y_pentagon-656x393.jpg

P

pasc

So it seems pokemon that are transferred from the Bank will get this stamped on ?

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How can you be so sure about that?

The article states it, however there is one question that it didn't answer: Will the Pokemon caught in Gen V be acceptable for use in tournaments and such? Since Serebii did state the information comes from the Dragon tournament which implied the possibility they would not be allowed however by breeding them you could get a Pokemon that could be entered in them although I doubt they'd restrict transferred Pokemon like that as it would make no sense whatsoever.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe it's only for that particular tournament. Anyway, maybe transferred pokemon will get a different icon instead?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone can "hack" pokemon... isn't it possible to manually add the blue pentagon?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If someone can "hack" pokemon... isn't it possible to manually add the blue pentagon?

IIRC a Pokemon was only considered "hacked" (regarding the DS games, anyways) if their IVs/EVs were in an impossible range (like all 31/all 255). (I don't think it checked abilities or movesets, though) I would assume it would be the same this time around as well, though they might have changed it.

Reactions: Zetta_x

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now Serebii says it has something to do with "okay to use" Pokemon, for tournaments and such. And that B/W/whatever pokemon won't have the mark. I don't know, there's so much that isn't clear at this point in time.

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I thought it was obvious that this Pentagon is a sign of kalos region, since it's all around the region, shows as the kalos dex sign...
I am suprised they made it legality check, actually I still don't believe it, I still think it's simply a kalos region sign and I can even confirm it...
I just set my 3DS time to 2004, caught a pokemon and it still had that sign, however it should've raised a flag since no pokemons could
be cought before 12,10,2013...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If I can't use my Gen V competitive team that took hundreds of hours to breed I will be extremely pissed. I am not breeding for perfect IVs/right nature/ability/ ever again
You do know that because of the changes it can be done literally 100 times faster now, right? (although I will admit it's still not particularly fun)

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do know that because of the changes it can be done literally 100 times faster now, right? (although I will admit it's still not particularly fun)

Yes I know but it's still relatively grueling work that I don't want to repeat in any form when I have better things to do like have fun playing games

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The Pentagon is like the symbol for Kalos.
The Pentagon can't be the only icon.
This raises my suspicions of having a new region ever 1-2 years.
Like maybe 3 regions this generation, each with 70 or so new pokemon.

Reactions: chartube12
D

Deleted-236924

This is bull.
The pentagon mark is there to point out that the Pokémon was obtained within a Gen. VI game.
This is to prevent people from using transfered Pokémon in order to enter tournaments, effectively preventing the use of any hacked Pokémon during these tournaments (until the game is hacked and save editing is made widely-accessible, that is.)

Guested said:
The webpage in question was the one outlining the rules for the kid's Dragon King tournament. It said Pokemon with that blue pentagon mark could be used and that the mark meant it was "Pokemon obtained through normal play in the Kalos region." People who read that focused on the "normal play" bit, but I wondered why it said "Kalos region" and dug for more info. In the more detailed regulations, it said pokemon from the national dex 001-718 could be used (excluding the usual legendaries) but that Pokemon brought in through Pokemon Bank/Transporter could NOT be used (suggesting these pokemon would not have the blue pentagon mark).

In conclusion:
I do not think pkx files have any kind of byte or mark or anything on them that is the result of an in-game hack check. I believe that mark is a visual representation of the region where the pokemon was encountered.

Source

Reactions: chartube12

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Id love to tell what you guys are on about, however since the image is broken and I cant see anything on the source site relating to it...

I'll just nod

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)