Pokemon X/Y’s Pentagon Icon is a Hack Checker

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by EvilMakiPR, Nov 15, 2013.

1. EvilMakiPR
    OP

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    In Pokemon X/Y, a blue pentagon can be seen next to your Pokemon while viewing the status screen in trades, the box, and so on. It was initially unclear what it was intended for, but we now have an answer.
    Game Freak included the pentagon as a hack checker of sorts. Pokemon who have the pentagon are confirmed to be legitimate. If the creature doesn’t have the blue icon, that means there was an error and it has been hacked.
    The Pokemon Company’s simple definition of the pentagon is that the Pokemon is okay to use.

Source
    pokemon_x_y_pentagon-656x393.jpg

2. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    So it seems pokemon that are transferred from the Bank will get this stamped on ?

3. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    If they are from Gen V, No it will not have the blue icon, but ones caught natively and legitimately from Kalos will.

4. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil

How can you be so sure about that?

5. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The article states it, however there is one question that it didn't answer: Will the Pokemon caught in Gen V be acceptable for use in tournaments and such? Since Serebii did state the information comes from the Dragon tournament which implied the possibility they would not be allowed however by breeding them you could get a Pokemon that could be entered in them although I doubt they'd restrict transferred Pokemon like that as it would make no sense whatsoever.

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Maybe it's only for that particular tournament. Anyway, maybe transferred pokemon will get a different icon instead?

7. Zetta_x

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    If someone can "hack" pokemon... isn't it possible to manually add the blue pentagon?

8. Gahars
    This message by Gahars has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Dec 22, 2013, Reason: off topic.
    Nov 15, 2013
  9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    IIRC a Pokemon was only considered "hacked" (regarding the DS games, anyways) if their IVs/EVs were in an impossible range (like all 31/all 255). (I don't think it checked abilities or movesets, though) I would assume it would be the same this time around as well, though they might have changed it.

Zetta_x likes this.
  10. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Now Serebii says it has something to do with "okay to use" Pokemon, for tournaments and such. And that B/W/whatever pokemon won't have the mark. I don't know, there's so much that isn't clear at this point in time.

11. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    If I can't use my Gen V competitive team that took hundreds of hours to breed I will be extremely pissed. I am not breeding for perfect IVs/right nature/ability/ ever again

12. Chaosruler

Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2009
    Israel
    p1ngpong's dream
    I thought it was obvious that this Pentagon is a sign of kalos region, since it's all around the region, shows as the kalos dex sign...
    I am suprised they made it legality check, actually I still don't believe it, I still think it's simply a kalos region sign and I can even confirm it...
    I just set my 3DS time to 2004, caught a pokemon and it still had that sign, however it should've raised a flag since no pokemons could
    be cought before 12,10,2013...

SignZ, Ammako and chartube12 like this.
  13. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    You do know that because of the changes it can be done literally 100 times faster now, right? (although I will admit it's still not particularly fun)

14. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Yes I know but it's still relatively grueling work that I don't want to repeat in any form when I have better things to do like have fun playing games

EvilMakiPR likes this.
  15. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    OR HACKED IN 10 MINUTES

16. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Or maybe I didn't cheat because I don't like that and I plan to use these six in tournament

SignZ likes this.
  17. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    The Pentagon is like the symbol for Kalos.
    The Pentagon can't be the only icon.
    This raises my suspicions of having a new region ever 1-2 years.
    Like maybe 3 regions this generation, each with 70 or so new pokemon.

chartube12 likes this.
  18. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    This is bull.
    The pentagon mark is there to point out that the Pokémon was obtained within a Gen. VI game.
    This is to prevent people from using transfered Pokémon in order to enter tournaments, effectively preventing the use of any hacked Pokémon during these tournaments (until the game is hacked and save editing is made widely-accessible, that is.)

Source

chartube12 likes this.
  19. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    the pentagon seal of approval huh

Ammako likes this.
  20. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Id love to tell what you guys are on about, however since the image is broken and I cant see anything on the source site relating to it...

I'll just nod

21. Blebleman

Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Nov 14, 2003
    Canada
    Chiba Prefecture , Japan