Gaming Pokémon X and Y: Downloadable Content?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
107845-Pokemon-X-Y-Logo-.png

We're a few days into the release of X and Y now, and things are going very smooth. Over four million copies were moved during the weekend, and people were both enjoying the game and speed smashing through the story content. The better part of the Pokémon franchise for some people involves the content of the post game, where you rush and collect the legendaries, participate in the Battle Frontier style facilities, complete the Pokédex, and do the tasks that the Pokémon franchise is famous for doing to extend gameplay to hundreds of hours. Be warned, this article may contain spoilers, so if you are not at the post game content yet, stop reading from here on out. With the Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo reluctantly introduced the concept of downloadable content (DLC) and microtransactions, as seen in games such as Fire Emblem: Awakening. Will Pokémon follow this trend and start pushing out DLC for its player base? Let's explore that topic a bit more.

[prebreak]Continue reading[/prebreak]

For those of you who have beaten the Elite Four already, you will quickly come to realize that the end game content of this game is a bit sparse in comparison to earlier generations. The end game consists of catching a handful of legendaries, completing menial side quests, a small treasure hunt for Mega Stones, and making teams to dominate the online world. In terms of "true" content, such as miscellaneous regions, extended stories, new Pokémon, or a Battle Frontier, longtime veterans of the series will be a bit disappointed to find that Pokémon X and Y took a step backwards and introduced a sparse end game. There are no Black City and White Forests to grind out your Pokémon this time around.

Some of you may have read my Pokémon X and Y Review from a few days ago, and saw that I gave a score of 9.4 overall. I received some criticisms as to that score, and I would like to take a moment to address some of those criticisms. I gave the score that I did after accounting for all the factors of things that I experienced during the gameplay and as a whole based on what I experienced on the Nintendo 3DS system. The reason why I gave it a score of 9.4 was because not many 3DS games have really close to the level of "polish" that Pokémon X and Y deliver. A lot of people complained that the game was unplayable with the 3D on. To be completely honest, I never had a real problem with the slowdowns. I noticed it, but it was by no means unplayable. Personally, this was the major reason why I avoided posting the review in the GBAtemp Review Center. I knew right away that users would take these assigned "values" and throw them completely out of context. I present my scores to a wide audience; I do not cater to one specific audience alone and I know that I am not going to satisfy every single user. One of the criticisms that I mentioned was the lack of "real" end game content, which to some people is not important; on the other hand, it could be crucial in the decision to purchase the game. Going back to the original subject, I would like to see the exploration of downloadable content.

According to an interview conducted by GamerSyndrome, Junichi Masuda discussed the DLC and the Pokémon franchise, citing that DLC was currently not being developed for the franchise, but could be a possibility in a rather vague hint. He did assure viewers that DLC would be free due to children playing the game. One of the beliefs Game Freak has is delivering a full experience right out the box. In this particular case, I find that Junichi Masuda's claim of a full experience right out the box is slightly inaccurate. This does not mean that I find the game completely unworthy of $40. This game is classic Pokémon, and operates like almost every other Pokémon game. The visuals are fantastic and deserve to be praised, and the online is something that has been desperately needed for the franchise. In terms of content, however, Game Freak could have added a lot more. With a lot of media outlets and users disparaging the lack of end game content, could this be the straw that breaks Game Freak? Could this be used as an indicator to Nintendo and Game Freak that more needs to be done to satisfy the audience?

In terms of DLC, I am a huge fan for content related downloads. I do not want to see microtransactions for cosmetic items. Thankfully, no microtransactions will be in the game but if it comes down to DLC, I would like to see some of the older legendaries and content that was in previous editions. I do not understand why Game Freak took such a far step back, as they definitely had the space to add the content into the game. I recall playing the Nintendo 3DS game Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, which featured downloadable missions at no additional cost. Given that idea would it be plausible for Game Freak to consider adding extra content like this to please its audience? Some people might argue that the downloadable content is considered Mystery Gift event distribution, however. Another important tidbit to mention is that a patch of sorts might actually be necessary as the game is currently "bugged" as saves tend to freeze in the Lumiose City area and no concrete fix has been presented. Like the case of Mario Kart 7, it could be very easy to release a small patch and patch over this problem, which could in turn lead to extended content.

Having said that, I now turn to you guys. Those of you that have completed the post game content, do you agree with my sentiments? Or do you find that Pokémon X and Y have plenty of content as presented? Do you believe that the game could benefit with the addition of content via DLC or are you completely against DLC? Chime off below!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how I haven't played the game yet, I can't really comment on that...

But I would welcome any free DLC that adds content, and by content I don't mean stupid mini games or crap like that, I mean like...a mini backstory or something, maybe something like the Sevii Islands in FR/LG. That would be pretty neat. Otherwise? Meh.

Reactions: Sarvesh50

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
/Goes back to playing Soul Silver and Heart Gold again.

Eh maybe ill wait then.

They're definitely great games, but they could definitely be so much more. If you have a bit of cash you can throw at it, I'd suggest it because it's a polished game in terms of mechanics.

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently on Victory Road so I've nearly completed the main game.

Anyway, yeah I liked to see some DLC for the game. I'd really like to see some side missions, maybe some new Pokemon, and possibly an extension of the Kalos region (you never know).

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The way they split up the Pokedex kinda made me believe that there would be some type of expansion, I'm not sure. But I would like to see some DLC for it.

Maybe update the gyms, leaders and trainers included to up their levels, an expanded region part with all new Pokemon, or something.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the franchise's popularity and appeal, it's inevitable. Considering all the work Nintendo put into creating a somewhat respectable online infrastructure for the 3DS, you better believe that they're going to take advantage of it. Not to say that's a bad thing, of course; additional content can greatly enrich the game experience. It just depends on the content and the price they're charging.

TL;DR: DLC? Pokemon X gon' give it to ya.

Reactions: Ethevion

Judas18

Queen Kunty
Trophies
XP
Country
I think DLC would be a great way to constantly keep the games relevant and breathe new life into them all the time. I was really disappointed with the lack of post game content, it gets boring quickly. So DLC is really something I'm hoping for.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to see a DLC that adds a bunch of new mega stones to the game and miniquests to get them, ending in catching the corresponding Pokémon legendary style. Maybe catchable 2 starters, the legendary dogs, megastones for the starters of this gen, and some more fan favourite upgrades.

D

Deleted-236924

There's been DLC ever since Gen. I.

If you don't count those event Pokémon that they traded you via Link cable, then there's been DLC ever since Gen II.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't count pokemon events as DLC but if it where in fact DLC, then I could just as well say that "Back in the day, Me and my friend traded DLC every other day" since we traded pokemon.
The pokemon events are so small files that I wouldnt consider it DLC. in fact its just the basic information about some pokemon or an activation for something that is already in your game.
To me DLC is something that actually adds something new to the game not just instructions on how to use what we already have.

D

Deleted-236924

The pokemon events are so small files that I wouldnt consider it DLC. in fact its just the basic information about some pokemon or an activation for something that is already in your game.

To me DLC is something that actually adds something new to the game not just instructions on how to use what we already have.
> On-disc DLC

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
They're obviously still going to have event Pokemon here and there.

I can see them throwing in new mega-models that they'll be working on for the next game. Let's be honest about what's going to happen though. Nintendo made a ton of models for these games that took much more resources to make. There's no way they're not going to reuse them in a follow-up game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning on doing BOTH Pokemon Z and XY2 this time, possibly the Hoenn remakes too. It's just too much work to go and do all of these and not make as many games off the same engine/graphics as possible.

Because I expect so many games, I think they'll offer very few DLC releases in mind as they horde all developments to make a new game have more new features.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i would like to see DLC FREE ONLY,

but i am sure nintendo will make someday dlc packs with new pokemon only available in the dlc.... it will ruin the game, but nintendo will do it sometime to earn lots of $€£¥....

the game is not polished, i even think they didn't lost time in testing it...

there is that bug in the save the OP mentioned, the "fake blackout" mini bug, the camera sucks on lumiose city, the roller scatters should be able to turn it off\on, i like to use the analog stick for movement, but the roller scatters are so fast and sometimes hard to control, and of course the problem of the 3D, but it's playable....

ho, don't forget, i get really sad when i couldn't find a printed manual in the game case... the digital manual doesn't explain a lot of things...

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that DLC's could happen but I dubt there will be new Mega models. Unless they already hade prepaired the games for that. like if you have the DLC and battle a player who hasnt got it yet.
Ofcourse gamefreak could have implemented a content check that compare you gamedata and DLC before the battle to see if your content is compatible with eachother.

Something I would like to see is gamefreak expanding the kalos region with some islands to explore and maybe place som older legendary like Lugia or something on there. This would be real neat DLC imo.
the problem comes when you are starting to add new polygon models and stuff to a multiplayer game like pokemon. Ofcourse they could fix it by releasing a mandatory update or having the player who doesnt own the "Mega Snorlax" DLC dowloading it temporarely from his/her opponent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: