Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Pokémon UnovaHGSS

Rom info:
Hack of: Pokémon SoulSilver (USA) (HeartGold will be supported at a later date)
Language: English
Current Version: Alpha v1.1 (goes up to Ilex Forest)
Last Updated: 10th April, 2012

Summary
UnovaHGSS is a hack of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver that integrates the new fifth generation Pokémon from Black and White into the game. The new Pokémon are not meant to replace the original 251, rather, my intention is to have them alongside the original Pokémon. Not all Pokémon will be included in this hack – very few third and fourth generation Pokémon appear. To include the Unovian Pokémon, I had to replace existing Pokémon, so most third and fourth gen Pokémon are gone. This is my first actual hack, so I’m still new at this.

The battle sprites for the new Pokémon are placeholders, simply taken from Black/White and put into the game until I create original sprites for them. All but a few overworld sprites for the new Pokémon were created through a community endeavor over at DeviantArt; I made a few myself, notably the larger Golurk sprite. Shiny Pokémon are also fully supported, in-battle and overworld.

Features:
-Every Pokémon from Unova will be obtainable in this game, alongside every first and second generation Pokémon! Some third and fourth generation Pokémon also available!
-All Unovian Pokémon will follow you around for the first time!
-Slightly increased difficulty – stronger trainers, wild Pokémon, etc.
-More features will be added in future versions

FAQ:
Q: How long is this first Alpha release?
A: This release will be playable up to and including the 2nd Gym. I’ve hired a security guard to make sure you don’t delve into places I’ve not edited yet.

Q: Will we travel to Unova?
A: No, the name UnovaHGSS stems from the Unovian Pokémon being in HGSS. Unova will not be in this game, just Johto and Kanto, like the original games.

Q: Are there fifth generation abilities/moves in the game?
A: No, not yet. Moves will almost certainly be put into the game at a later date. Abilities, I’m not entirely sure. Depends on whether or not I can do it – if I can, it will be done, sometime.

Q: How about the new Pokémon? Are they just sprite replacements, or are the stats actually changed?
A: Every new Pokémon has their true stats from Black/White. Their movesets are the same as well, barring any new moves introduced in the new games. Those moves are for the most part replaced by other, still relevant moves (eg. – Ember replaces Incinerate in a Pokémon’s moveset for now). The only things that are not changed about a Pokémon’s stats are their height/weight (for calculating damage for moves such as Low Kick), and simple aesthetic anomalies (such as a Pokémon’s sprite being horribly off-center in a battle, or their animations being ridiculously silly. I still need to figure out how to change that). Pokédex entries are also in the game for every Pokémon, though the order for the Pokédex is obviously not the same as the true National Dex.

Q: Are there any crazy changes to the Pokémon, such as new types or changed types (such as Serperior being Grass/Dragon)?
A: While I have nothing against new types or changing a Pokémon’s type in a hack, I have done nothing of the sort in this hack. All Pokémon retain their Arceus God Gamefreak-given stats.

Q: Do Pokémon such as Machoke and Boldore still require trading, or otherwise impossible methods as a single player, to evolve?
A: No – I have changed evolution requirements for any Pokémon such as these, though the option to evolve them through trading is still there. These edits are not final, nor do they necessarily represent what requirements will be in the final version.

Screenshots:
unovahgssalphapatched02.png
unovahgssalphapatched16.png
unovahgssalphapatched18.png
unovahgssalphapatched21.png
unovahgssalphapatched22.png
unovahgssalphapatched52.png
unovahgssalphapatched59.png
unovahgssalpha114011496.png
unovahgssalpha114523494.png

Credits:
Tools used:
• Hex Workshop (hex editing many things)
• CrystalTile2 (creating Pokémon Icons)
• PokeTEX (importing Pokémon overworlds)
• thenewpoketext (editing text)
• Tile Molester (creating Pokémon overworlds)
• PPRE (editing Pokémon, trainers, maps, etc)
• Kiwi (NDS file extractor)
• Pokémon DS/Pic Platinum (importing Pokémon battle sprites)
• Windows 7 Paint (creating Pokémon battle sprites)
• Windows XP Paint (retains palette of exported battle sprite image – allows me to copy and paste a new sprite into the game over the temporary sprites without worrying about palette screw-ups)
• Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 (compiling Pokémon battle sprites to 8bpp)
• Xdelta (creating patch)
• DeSmuME (testing game on computer)
• Pokesav HGSS (editing save file for testing purposes)

DeviantArt community – for making all the Unova overworld sprites. Link

Chaos Rush – for his wonderful endeavor in creating resized sprites. I’m using the Reshiram and Zekrom in the game for now - Link

Poryhack – for pointing me in the right direction for hex editing Pokémon icon palettes (whenever I learn how, I will make a program that will make editing the icons and palettes easier than hex editing them). Also thanks to Poryhack and the Project Pokémon community for creating a list of the HGSS File system - Link

Stratocaster - for creating a guide on how to change every aspect of a Pokémon. This hack would not have happened without it - Link

PokeCommunity – for giving me the desire to hack Pokémon games back in 2007 when I knew even less than I do now :P

MediaFire – for continuing its services through this stupid anti-piracy craze…

Bugs:
- Though not really a bug, all new Pokémon (and consequently, the Pokémon that I have repositioned in the Pokédex) have incorrect battle animations, offsets, and cries. These will hopefully be fixed in a future release. Their sprites are also temporary – these will be changed in a future release.
- A couple overworlds may have incorrect shiny colors – if you find any, just let me know. Though I didn’t find any through much testing, other graphical errors may exist – let me know!
- As this is HGSS, random freezing may occur if played on the computer. This is not a fault of the hack, but of the actual game itself. Just make sure to save frequently, and you should be fine.

Changelog:
- Alpha 1.1: Same as 1.0, except freezing has been fixed. Plays up to Ilex Forest - Mr. Security Guard will not let you pass, akin to Gandalf (do not be mistaken - I am the only wizard in this game!)

- Alpha 1.0: Changed ALL the things! This includes the new Pokémon, etc. Due to scripting corruption, the game will freeze whenever an overworld triggers a script. As such, this version will not be released on here… unless you really want it. It is the same as Alpha 1.1 except buggy, so there’s no point to upload it.

Downloads and Documentation:
Link to patch and xdelta (used to patch the original rom)

List of Changed Pokémon

Reactions: 6 people

Drayano

Trophies
XP
Country
Haha, I'm intending to release a HG/SS hack at some point in the near future, and after seeing this I might just cry. The spritework here is incredible I think, and it sounds like you know your stuff judging from how professional the first post is.

Also, I am loving the Dragon-type Serperior reference there!

I'll have to try this at some point, it looks excellent.

G_Sylar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow! That was something I wanted (Dray knows!) but I thought that you hacking geniuses would find a way to add 5th gen pkmns, not replace others. Anyway, great job.

PS. Golurk is really big, nice! Do that with all the big ones if you can.

wilso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wow this looks awsome >.< why cant nintendo do somthing like this. I hope black2 and white2 have somthing like this but whatever gl with the project bro

ascension7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
btw,snivys sprite is too small,is there anyway to resize it?
I can make a new sprite for it, yes. I'm just using the ones on the sheet of fan sprites from DeviantArt for now (though some I've re-done, and others still need to be re-done)
Will it has new move as well?
Hopefully in the future, but for right now, they only have moves from 4th gen. All the 5th gen Pokemon's movesets are as they are in Black/White, except the new moves are replaced by temporary, but similar, moves.
@ascension7,how about the unova gym leaders?are they going to be in this hack?if not,plz change the original gyms leaders pokemon
I don't have any plans to include any of the Unova gym leaders as of now, but I do plan on changing every Gym leader's Pokemon. This Alpha has some new Pokemon in Falker and Bugsy's teams, I won't spoil them though. They might change sometime too. I'm not sure about the slightly heightened levels, whether or not it's too low or too high, so that may change as well.

I made an edited PokeSav that has the new Pokemon's names correct, but I don't know if I'm allowed to release it to the public. For now, I guess just use that list in the first post to hack in whichever ones you want :P

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
is awesome owo, so is have chance to add more pokemon, not give a some error?. btw i no have experience on HGSS or BW. but is excellent. btw i just like this one :3

and also shiny form is on overworld too ? wow is great make me cry XD, i will play this if i get my time DX

hm i think you not listed all tools on the list XD

ascension7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
is awesome owo, so is have chance to add more pokemon, not give a some error?. btw i no have experience on HGSS or BW. but is excellent. btw i just like this one :3

and also shiny form is on overworld too ? wow is great make me cry XD, i will play this if i get my time DX

Thanks! :D I can't add more Pokemon in addition to the original 493, but I've added Pokemon to Trainer's rosters with no errors.
And yep, all overworlds have their shiny colors too

G_Sylar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Thanks! :D I can't add more Pokemon in addition to the original 493, but I've added Pokemon to Trainer's rosters with no errors.

Μaybe there is a way like Jambo51 did for FR?

ascension7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Μaybe there is a way like Jambo51 did for FR?
Probably, but I'm not skilled enough to pull something like that off haha

can u try to change silver into N's sprite?
I could do that, but I'm keeping Silver in the game. N might be somewhere else in the future though B-)

Drayano

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering, did you happen to post a screenshot of this on /vp/ a few months back? I recall someone taking a screenie of something that looked pretty similar to this, with Unova Pokémon behind you and such. If it is the same one, I'd been wondering if that was ever gonna see the light of day.

ascension7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering, did you happen to post a screenshot of this on /vp/ a few months back? I recall someone taking a screenie of something that looked pretty similar to this, with Unova Pokémon behind you and such. If it is the same one, I'd been wondering if that was ever gonna see the light of day.
Yep, that was me :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China