ROM Hack Pokemon translation question

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do the Japanese roms continue to work on WiFi once they are language patched? If I download B/W, and then patch it, will I still be able to do all the event stuff?

Just curious,
RisnDevil

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Theoretically it should work but you never know, At most, you might get a menu patch that allows you to do basic stuff but forget about the story being done.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
You're asking about something that isn't even out yet.

Why would anyone translate something that's getting localized?

That'd be a slight waste of time.

Just wait till it is out,i'm sure we'll see like 5-10 projects posted here alone...

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
InuYasha said:
Just wait till it is out,i'm sure we'll see like 5-10 projects posted here alone...

Don't scare me like that.
sad.gif

When that happens, I'll be translating games that won't be localized.

It's usually the spoiled ones that can't be patient for the game to come out in English.

Vartio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Localized Localized Localized"

What's wrong with wanting to play a game as soon as possible in English? Yes, it's impatient, but it won't change a single thing. That is what this topic's about.

All of this topic is becoming flame and spam towards the OP for asking a LEGITIMATE question. What's wrong with wanting to know if a patched Game (let's use HG/SS as an example) would still work with the original language?

To the OP: I would surmise it would still work as long as all the essentials are still there. IE: The Game ID, the wifi coding is left generally untouched on how it works, etc.

Vartio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
It should. Just wait. I don't even see the point of making a translation project for something that's being localised. I can wait.

Are you being slow or just dull?

This topic isn't about a Translation project.

It's asking if, should there BE a translation project, will it effect any of the events obtainable by say Wi-Fi.

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to clarify some things.

1). I can gladly wait, and have no real intention of actually playing the Japanese versions of the games.

2). The only reason I am interested in the Japanese versions is for the Japanese WiFi events (I am a little bit of a completionist) and think that it is silly that each cartridge can only have three wonder cards, so I use a flash card to play just enough of the game to download events, then create backups of the saves with/for each event).

3). Considering my point number two, a simply menu translation is all I care for.

4). I know the game is not out, thanks. I simply assumed (which I will try not to do again) that B&W will be like previous generations (at least in this aspect) and there fore also assumed (again, won't do that anymore) that somebody else thought the same thing, and could let me know if it has worked on previous generations. I only have the pure Japanese versions of D/P/Pt/HG/SS, along with the English cartridges, wombats not tried this myself (I run a Mac and so most patches can't be executed on my machine, so I haven't tried).

Hope all that clarifies my questions and why I asked, not that that really mattered.

RisnDevil

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vartio said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
It should. Just wait. I don't even see the point of making a translation project for something that's being localised. I can wait.

It's asking if, should there BE a translation project, will it effect any of the events obtainable by say Wi-Fi.
Did you not read my full post? IT SHOULD. JUST WAIT.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vartio said:

The only flame I see in this thread is your own.

If you see no problem with it, go make a translation for it.

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Vartio said:

The only flame I see in this thread is your own.

If you see no problem with it, go make a translation for it.

I think varito has a deep love for pokemon...got caught up in the excitement of translating pokemon

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude Don't Bother With B/W
The Games Mostly Gonna Be Infrared
and you cant battle your friends or trade without the cart having IR in it
so don't waste your time downloading it or wasting space for the rom when it comes out
just buy the game in spring of 2011.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
XXLANCEXX said:
Dude Don't Bother With B/W
The Games Mostly Gonna Be Infrared
and you cant battle your friends or trade without the cart having IR in it
so don't waste your time downloading it or wasting space for the rom when it comes out
just buy the game in spring of 2011.
source please

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, please source on that. I own, and know, that HG/SS have infrared, but you can still trade and battle without it. Again, all I really need to be able to do is trade anyways, as I only want it to be able to d/l and backup all the Japanese (WiFi) events. And I will buy it when it comes out, just waiting till the American release is all.

frogmyster3

Trophies
XP
Country
These battles that are IR only kinda remind me back when HG/SS came out and everyone was crapping themselves because there was a PokeWalker event early in the game. That turned out to be false so I expect this will too.

Back to the OP's question - I'm pretty certain that a language patch wouldn't touch the WiFi mechanics so it should still work. Although you mention later on that each game can only hold 3 Wondercards - you do know they can be deleted, right?
smile.gif

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pages 14 and 15 - Local trades and battles have been totally streamlined. Using infrared you can quickly join up with people to trade or battle and automatically exchange friend codes (yes!!). Trading has also improved, and you can access any Pokemon from your PC or party now while trading. No more going in and out of the Wi-Fi/Union Room to access your PC!

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/pokemon-black-...071410049965080

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it says join up with people. not used for the trading or battling per se. prob so you don't have to go to the pokemon center and such every time you fight or trade. infrared is rather limited, so really, i don't think they'll rely on it entirely.

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@frogmyster3 - I know Wonder Cards can be deleted, but I am a completionist/collector (hell, if you really want you could just call me a Pokémaniac). Once I receive the Pokémon/item/whatever in-game, I like to back it up in case something happens and I need to receive it, again.

Also, I agree with Shinigami357: trading and battling will support infrared, but not be limited to that really limited technology.

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo wouldn't do that to the players.
restricting the game to only I/R would be terrible
the range on it isn't all that great.
the wireless range capabilities and stability that the DS provides is far better than the IR

they'd just be downsizing pokemon by forcing the multiplayer gameplay to that.
but it'll make sense to use it for bonuses, or quick trading and battling.

(I remember back when mystery gift involved gameboy colors and how close they had to be to do it)
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night