Gaming Pokemon Sword and Shield will not contain all Pokemons

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Don't make my mistake of assuming they're using new models for old Pokemon, all models have been the same since gen 6. They still have to create models for gen 8 obviously, but everything else they could simply import from the 3DS engine. Their excuse for not doing so is game balance, but I don't find that very convincing.

Fair point, I don't find it very convincing either.

I finished my first living Pokedex in Gen 6, however was then disappointed Gen 7 had no national Pokedex. At least I could transfer and use the Pokemon in Gen 7 games though.

As it stands now we have a significant amount of Pokemon that will be essentially stuck in Pokemon Home for the foreseeable future.

Sword and Shield do look good, however as someone who loves to collect Pokemon I can't help but be very disappointed by this decision.

Reactions: Xzi

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Masuda and Ohmori confirmed in a Famitsu interview that:
  1. There are no plans to bring back unobtainable Pokèmon in Sword/Shield via updates
  2. Said Pokèmon will still have a role in HOME
  3. Megas and Z-Moves will not make a comeback
If you ask me, while I agree with the last point (the meta was getting a bit too out of hand with different gimmicks, abilities, fields and whatnot), I would've still liked to see my old mons in Sword/Shield. It's not really a balancing issue there as only "regionborn" PKMN are allowed in official tournaments anyways (eggs of non-regional mons could still get in, sure, but you'd only have to add a clarification to that rule to avoid it) so it could've still be done imo. I'm not outraged, just a bit disappointed.

Reactions: Xzi

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
  1. There are no plans to bring back unobtainable Pokèmon in Sword/Shield via updates
If you ask me, while I agree with the last point (the meta was getting a bit too out of hand with different gimmicks, abilities, fields and whatnot), I would've still liked to see my old mons in Sword/Shield. It's not really a balancing issue there as only "regionborn" PKMN are allowed in official tournaments anyways (eggs of non-regional mons could still get in, sure, but you'd only have to add a clarification to that rule to avoid it) so it could've still be done imo. I'm not outraged, just a bit disappointed.
Oh boy...
This WILL NOT go over well with the rest of the community.
When I think of Pokemon, I think of trading and battles. Not whatever HOME is gonna serve up. I'm willing to bet that whatever HOME does will be like what My Pokemon Ranch did.
The least they could do is bring the National Dex to SwSh via updates or DLC, but now they're not gonna do it at all? Not only is that lazy as hell, it's also gonna cause mass-outrage and, dare I say it, there really is no reason for this kind of behavior from Game Freak. I personally will not be purchasing this entry in the Pokemon series unless they change this (yes, even if it's as paid DLC because corporate greed can never be satisfied), because this is just unacceptable.
Just to further emphasize my point on how this is unacceptable, I'm gonna post that Tweet link again.

D

Deleted User

You can still keep your collection in home. You just won't be able to use them in Sword and Shield. Dunno why people are making such a fuss.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
I think limiting pokemon choices is good for the tournament. Imagine watching a pokemon tournament with the same pokemon roster each year.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You can still keep your collection in home. You just won't be able to use them in Sword and Shield. Dunno why people are making such a fuss.

Well, maybe because the main slogan from the franchise is "Gotta catch'em all". If it is gonna be this way, then they should change it to "Gotta catch a few". Add to that that there are some people that has their Pokemon from many years ago (I for example still have Pokemon that I catch since 2005 in Emerald version). At the end of day it will be each one's decision if buy them or not. For me is a no go, period.

Reactions: thaikhoa
D

Deleted User

Well, maybe because the main slogan from the franchise is "Gotta catch'em all". If it is gonna be this way, then they should change it to "Gotta catch a few". Add to that that there are some people that has their Pokemon from many years ago (I for example still have Pokemon that I catch since 2005 in Emerald version). At the end of day it will be each one's decision if buy them or not. For me is a no go, period.
Just put them in Home.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just put them in Home.

We don't' even know how is going to be like, but I expect another complete disappointment. Well, at least the major part of the fanbase is finally putting their feet on earth: Gamefreak has been incompetent since the leap to 3D graphics in the mainline pokemon games (6th generation). Among many reasons to thinks as such, let's take, for example, the fact that in UsUm, the Lillie character model has 114 copies, each is used for a respective cutscene in the game. They don't know how(or want) to optimize their engine/games, and coming from a 90 billion top media company, that just makes them look bad in many aspects.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just put them in Home.
You know what? The thing is: people don't want to! And that's okay, as it's for you to do it if you want. People need options. A new game shall have the same minimun options of the last one, plus the new things. If it hasn't, then it's not complete.

Oh also also, for the people defending this: next time you see a DLC, don't dare to say "oh they get this out of the original game to make you pay more" because the people that buy the DLC will at least have all the content. With this game, you will pay for something INCOMPLETE, and you are never gonna be even able to pay more to have it complete. Or at least with the info we have right now.

Reactions: DSoryu

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country

That's part of the problem, once you transfer them to home a lot of Pokemon are essentially useless for the foreseeable future. You can't transfer the Pokemon anywhere else to use it.

D

Deleted User

That's part of the problem, once you transfer them to home a lot of Pokemon are essentially useless for the foreseeable future. You can't transfer the Pokemon anywhere else to use it.
But if they're Pokemon you only collected and don't actually use, they were useless to begin with. The point of Home is it's where you can deposit your collection and also trade with other Home users.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I can totally see people backing out, not because of the actually quality of the game, but the dumb decisions they are making.
  1. Megas and Z-Moves will not make a comeback
You would think at least the Megas will comeback. Dynamaxing I can see replacing Z-moves, but it not like Megas at all.

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We don't' even know how is going to be like, but I expect another complete disappointment. Well, at least the major part of the fanbase is finally putting their feet on earth: Gamefreak has been incompetent since the leap to 3D graphics in the mainline pokemon games (6th generation). Among many reasons to thinks as such, let's take, for example, the fact that in UsUm, the Lillie character model has 114 copies, each is used for a respective cutscene in the game. They don't know how(or want) to optimize their engine/games, and coming from a 90 billion top media company, that just makes them look bad in many aspects.

Pokemon Home will be like Pokemon Bank with Pokemon Go features, and im sure in order to transfer Bank -> Home, you have to subscribe for 1 year on both.

But this Lillie thing is normal and a lot of developers do this.
Both Unity and Unreal do the same thing, every model/sprite is included in the same package as the level, except if they use custom model formats.
This is an Editor thing, it makes it easier for the Level Designer to make and test the level without loading the entire game.
Technically if this is included in the release build of the Game, then you can call them lazy, but not incompetent, because they shipped the game with development settings.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
what they removed megas? damn that is gonna be very harsh, some pokemons were great with mega evolution like pinsir,beedril and such so every mega and old pokemon will be stuck in the past for eternity.
Z moves were crap but megas were preety cool, they were basicaly the only chance a crap pokemon had at the end of its third evo like beedril.

They are to blame for going all out on some megas and make them broken tough, there was no need for megas like salamence being so op, srs those stats and so on, they could just nerf mega stats tough instead of eliminating them.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fine with me. It's not even the first time they've done this. Perhaps they'll add that capability in the next set of games they make.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awe crud i wanted to Dynamax Mewtwo and wreck 3 Pokemon in 3 turns :( maybe he's in the Galar dex but not catchable in sw/sh in the wild can't wait for the sw/sh update for pkhex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans