Hacking Pokemon SoulSilver & HeartGold load to black screen on R4

saltyspecula

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've got an emulated version of HeartGold and SoulSilver I've been running off Desmume 0.9.11 on PC. I've loaded TwitchPlays HeartGold, my own manual run save file and another shared save file I found. All of them run fine on an emulator on PC.

When I load the roms and save files into my R4, plug it into my original DS and load the game, it works perfectly fine and the menu loads and shows my save data on the menu. If I attempt to load the save file though, the game fades to black and stays black. No music or visuals. I thought originally it was either a bad rom or save file so I tried some troubleshooting:

1: Tried 4 different save files
2: Multiple different configurations of save files with the Offline Save Converter v2 utility.
3: 2 different roms (HeartGold and SoulSilver)
4: 2 different sets of R4 firmware
5: 2 different DS units

All of them produced the same results or just failed to recognize the save files at all and attempted to create a new save. After the testing, I'm fairly certain it's caused by something else that I'm not aware of.

I can't find any other results through Google for this. So anyone have any idea what causes this and how to fix it? I'm out of ideas for troubleshooting on my end.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an emulated version of HeartGold and SoulSilver I've been running off Desmume 0.9.11 on PC. I've loaded TwitchPlays HeartGold, my own manual run save file and another shared save file I found. All of them run fine on an emulator on PC.

When I load the roms and save files into my R4, plug it into my original DS and load the game, it works perfectly fine and the menu loads and shows my save data on the menu. If I attempt to load the save file though, the game fades to black and stays black. No music or visuals. I thought originally it was either a bad rom or save file so I tried some troubleshooting:

1: Tried 4 different save files
2: Multiple different configurations of save files with the Offline Save Converter v2 utility.
3: 2 different roms (HeartGold and SoulSilver)
4: 2 different sets of R4 firmware
5: 2 different DS units

All of them produced the same results or just failed to recognize the save files at all and attempted to create a new save. After the testing, I'm fairly certain it's caused by something else that I'm not aware of.

I can't find any other results through Google for this. So anyone have any idea what causes this and how to fix it? I'm out of ideas for troubleshooting on my end.
Try without a save and start new save

saltyspecula

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Those games have anti-piracy protection where they won't run correctly if they detect you're trying to play them on an older model R4 flashcart.
Yup, that did it! I AP patched the SoulSilver ROM and I'm in. This is only for the sake of transferring my Gen1 Pokemon up to the Pokebank, so I don't need all the extra homebrew stuff (not playing any other games on the DS).

Thanks a bunch!

Dragon_Types

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I remember the forever pokeball spin upon entering a trainer battle, forcing you to reboot the game and a sign to buy real game instead.

meroooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Could you tell me how you fixed it I don’t really understand what he means with try without a save and start a new save.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8