Pokemon Soul Silver SAV to/from cartridge Success!

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Atashi, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Omega_2

Omega_2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Eww, R4 D:

[Fight]
    >Meteo

*Casts Meteo*

"Critical hit!
    It's super effective!"

/offtopic

But seriously, Big N is getting crafty, I'll give them that XD

2. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    @CrashmanX
    Hurm, crap. And here I was thinking I would play this on my Flashcart then move my save over to my Retail cart when ever I wanted to use the Pokewalker, well shit.

3. Atashi
    OP

Atashi Out of the Loop

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    That thought had crossed my mind too, but it's too much of a PITA to solder & desolder every day just to sync with the pokewalker. Plus every time you do that, there's the risk of making a mistake and killing it.

So for now, I'm just playing on the original cartridge. I might still give in and get that NDS Adaptor Plus since it works without soldering. Either that, or revisit the switch idea... if I can find a small enough surface-mount switch that I can fit it inside the cartridge, then that would do the trick.

-Atashi

4. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    I've backed up my save with no problems at all. But when I go to restore my save it wont restore anything, and I have tried all 3 file types, unfortunately selecting type 2 deleted the save off my cartridge (which really pissed me off). But I think I may know why it cant restore properly. When you select GAME CART INFO with HG/SS and look at EXTENDED DATA the 2 bytes after c00 pretty much random, the 2 bytes after c03 switch from 00 and ff, the ones after c05 are usually 00 or 1F, and the ones after c9F are generally random. If that is the problem is it possible to read the extended data first then write the save correctly

5. TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Feb 10, 2009
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Pretty sure the implemention of save backup/restore in PokesavDS is still experimental, and not guaranteed to work.

6. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    Well I hope it gets finalized soon, because the only thing holding me back from soldering the eeprom to pin 4 is not wanting to break the seal on the cartridge

7. Chase-san

Chase-san GBAtemp Regular

Dec 24, 2008
    United States
    I should of mentioned that restoring doesn't work at all yet (I thought I had). I am however surprised that attempting to restore did anything at all.

8. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    Will we ever be able to restore it (without the NDS Adapter)?

9. Chase-san

Chase-san GBAtemp Regular

Dec 24, 2008
    United States
    Probably, maybe, eventually. I cannot say how or when though. I have gone to considerable lengths to try and get it working. I have a few more tricks I can try so hopefully those will pan out otherwise I am about out of ideas.

10. tKo HaXoR

tKo HaXoR GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2008
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Great work!

11. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    Well fortunately I was only 2 hours into the game. I was able to use Pokesav and NitroHax to get my Quilava, Pidgey, and Wooper back into my save.

12. awesome761

awesome761 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2010
    United States
    Well thanks for trying! [​IMG]

13. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2009
    United States
    tried Chase-san's savehax... it dumped the file (apparently), but then it wouldn't load with the rom i tried. Any suggestions?

14. sn0wfish

sn0wfish GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2006
    Senegal
    wow, a genius discovery.. i might try it someday [​IMG]

15. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2009
    United States
    Ok, I've tried several more times, and can't seem to get it to work at all. I tried looking at the save through a hex editor, it looked fine, but when I went to load it, it wanted to start a new game. I have gotten a mix of files: Scrambled stuff, all 00000000 (in hex) and then also a bunch of FFFFFFFF, and some random EFs or 7Fs spread around too. Dunno what to do, but it'd be awesome if I could get this to work [​IMG]

16. KaiiRym

KaiiRym Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2009
    Canada
    Gratz you have taken apart a game cartridge XD

Yeah but gratz on your discovery

17. 9th_Sage

9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 30, 2008
    United States
    Well, it was said it didn't work all the time yet, so.. [​IMG]

18. Passa

Passa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2008
    Any update on transferring saves through software? I'm tempted to buy a NDS Adapter Plus or something [​IMG] desperate to bring my Pokewalker to uni.

I'm cool like that.

19. anaxs

anaxs got milk, got candy

Mar 23, 2009
    Canada
    your moms jeans pocket
    good job bro
    il try it myslef as well, me and my cousin were trying to find out and you made it much easier
    thanks alot

20. trance

trance GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Hemisphere
    chase, you need to add ez 3in1+ support :

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted