Pokemon Soul Silver for $15?! Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by SamusKnight2K, Apr 28, 2010.

1. SamusKnight2K
    OP

Member SamusKnight2K GBAtemp Regular

United States
    While browsing the eBay site I came across a copy of Pokemon Soul Silver, American release for only $13.99 plus shipping. It's factory sealed (Brand New) with the Pokewalker accessory included and everything. The seller seems fairly new (only 2 ratings, both positive) and is listed in Hong Kong. Since it's covered via Paypal if the product never arrives I'll get my money back so I gave it a shot. What do you guys think... Is this real or just a scam? Personally it seems almost too good to be true. Since I don't know if it could/couldn't be a scam I won't post a link to the product, you can just look it up on eBay yourselves. But overall it seems legit... The incredibly low price is the only thing that I'm doubting.

2. sk8erbilly

Newcomer sk8erbilly Member

Australia
    Did it say DS/DSL only? Usually this means its a fake card.

3. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    yeah, my cousin got a fake my sims game from ebay. It worked only on a ds/dsl, not on a dsi [​IMG]

4. lorddusk

Newcomer lorddusk Member

Netherlands
    usually these kind of low priced games are just modified flashcards. hence the low price

5. SamusKnight2K
    OP

United States
    Hmm, I guess that explains alot then... It does say for NDS/NDSL... But the seller also has one listed for NDSi, about 2 bucks more. Would that mean the other works on NDSi and not NDS/NDSL? Also what really is the difference between a "fake" and the real? I'm wondering if this means it's just a flashed ROM clone with no IR port.

6. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Yup I think the ds/dsl wont have the IR port [​IMG]

7. sk8erbilly

Australia
    I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between a fake and real game. But I'm pretty sure the fake ones have an issue with saving as i have had a fake card before and after a while it stopped saving correctly.

8. SamusKnight2K
    OP

United States
    Wow, two things:

One my cat just started yowling out loud for no sudden reason... Dunno why... And two I sent an email to the seller to find out. If it is the real deal I'll just pay the difference for the DSi version.

9. sk8erbilly

Australia
    If it IS the real deal you wouldn't need to buy a DSI version since there is no such thing as a DS/DSL only version.

10. SamusKnight2K
    OP

United States
    Seller responded to my question stating I can cancel my order but didn't answer the question about if it's legit or not. I'm going to give this dealer a benefit of a doubt and try once more to ask if it's a real copy for the DSi one. Obviously the NDS/NDSL version is a fake then and the seller apparently is willing to let me cancel the order for the other copy. Thanks for helping me clear this up.

EDIT: By the way, clearly this dealer IS selling fakes... I think once they cancel my order I'm not going to buy the NDSi version. Box art seems real but checking the art for the Heart Gold version I noticed it's missing the Nintendo WFC logo and the font for the Pokewalker is a different color. Additionally, all the box arts used have a holographic-like effect in the background behind the Pokemon. Here's an example of the SS one:

[​IMG]

Looking at box art for Pokemon Soul Silver online I can't find any images with the holographic-like background. Though I could've sworn Diamond and Pearl had these box art styles...

EDIT 2: Looking around I've seen a few more "images" of the box art for the american release. Image above seems to have a transparent case while the rest have black ones. Also the others don't have that holographic background either. I've contacted the seller regarding this and plan to report them to eBay.

11. tajio

Member tajio GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    That is definitely a FAKE cancel your order immediately and you'll just waste your money and time.

PS. I have the real retail cart and it does not have a clear case and shiny/holographic cover.

12. sanoblue

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    agreed man as pretty as it looks its so fake

13. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    depending on region, a clear case can be perfectly normal.(most EU games come in a clear case)
    but what is wrong with that one is that they have the boxart from the big box, on the smaller regular game case.

14. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    You know if you want to save your ass a lot of trouble, if it says it's sold out of anywhere in Asia other than in Japan, figure it's a pirated piece of shit as I've nearly never seen a legit sale of a game I've been interested out of the east.

15. Sylar1

Member Sylar1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    EU has a different rating system

16. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Stupid crooked eBay sellers.

I bought a used Pokemon Blue Version off of eBay when I was 13... but it turned out to be the Japanese green version, crudely translated into English (there's tons of videos of it on Youtube nowadays), put into a USA version's blue shell.

I guess Pokemon games are a bad market on the 'Bay.