Pokemon save won't work after corrupted Micro SD

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by cherryduck, Jul 14, 2007.

1. cherryduck
    OP

Member cherryduck GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hello, everyone, I'm in a bit of a spot so if anyone can help I'd be very greatful. Yesterday, my memory card corrupted, so I had to reformat it. Luckily, I had my saves backed up so I simply stuck everything back up on there and started again. All went well, and I was able to successfully load and use saves for all other games, until I came to Pokemon Diamond.

Well, I started it up and instead of showing my game in progress, it simply began a new game, with no option at all to load my previous save. So I set about trying to make it work, and so far Ive had no luck. I began by deleting the current save and starting a new game, and seeing if it would save OK. It did. So I replaced it with my old save, and started up, of course it began a new game, so I let it run until I could save, and then saved successfully. I then loaded from that save, which loaded fine and put me where I'd saved in the house at the start of the game.

So, I opened up the save in PokeSav to try and spot the difference, see if I could figure out why that save would work whereas my ongoing one wouldn't. To my great surprise, the save was still my old save, with all my progress and Pokemon. Yet when I loaded it in the game, it started me at the beginning of the game. I deleted the save and tried again, sure enough the game began again, and I needed to make a new save. Somehow, it seems to have saved in my old file, without having any effect on it. leaving me VERY confused

OK, next I made a new save, and tried copying the ID's across to my ongoing save, and seeing if that would work. It didn't. I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING I can think of, and I've been going around in circles, trying to figure out how on earth to get my old save to work. I found on another forum that Pokemon Diamond has a double save feature to protect against corruption, I'm guessing this has something to do with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. NonStopInTheMix

Member NonStopInTheMix GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    well oki dokey there have been numerous problems with pokemon saving and loading up the wrong save! happened to me too and it was so annoying >_<

anyways lets start things off so others can help you too.. which flashcart are you using? R4? SupercardDsOne? etc?

3. cherryduck
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ahh sorry I should of mentioned, I am using an R4. Thanks for the quick reply, I've had this same message posted on the official R4 forum for about 8 hours and no one's even looked at it yet.

4. NonStopInTheMix

Member NonStopInTheMix GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    sorry im not really a pro with R4's since i dont have one >_< but this problem sounds similar to one that my supercard had. Basically try this: load up pokemon, run around for like a minute or so and then save the game. open up pokesav and see whats in the save file: this new crappy one? or the old one? hopefully its the new one.

if this is the case then it means that the new save file is stuck in memory and keeps bumping your old one out...

Ps: i assume the save size for pokemon is correct and so is the name for the pokemon save file and that the save file is 512kb in size and not 256.

5. cherryduck
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well, tried that again, but played a lot longer and then saved. Checked the file in PokeSav, and it is still my old save on there. Any idea what that means and how to solve it?

EDIT

Oh dear I've just rechecked my backup save in PokeSav, at first glance everything looked normal but then I checked my boxed Pokemon in the Storage tab...they've all disappeared. I'm beginning to think perhaps my save file is corrupted.