Pokemon Romhaxxorz Going Overboard!

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have recently noticed the amount of pokemon hacks in the DS rom hacking and translations section getting way out of hand. (imho)
It's getting a bit annoying trying to flip through pages of pokehax in order to find any new posts on hack topics that I (and i assume a few others) are more interested in than the miriad of pokemon hack threads.
I would like to suggest to the staff that maybe these pokehax could go into their own subforum/section/whatever under the main romhacking section.
I would like them all out of the way so they're not cluttering up the great translations and hacks that interest me.
I know it may sound a bit selfish since i'm saying they'e cluttering up MY experience in that section.
That being said, before the idea is shot down, could we have a poll on who would like this done?
Whatever official decision is made, i'll respect that.
Thanks for your time.
(imho, all these pokehax need to be in their own little "Edge of Romhacking" section, similar to the EOF but for pokehax spammers. :)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This has been suggested several times before and was declined every time.
There is no need to make a special section just for Pokemon hacks and there is no need to break up the EoF over it either.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suggest Pokemon Rom Hacking people should just head over to Pokecommunity.

No offence to any rom hacking people here, but pretty much all the hacks posted here are mediocre(4th and 5th gen ones.. Hoenn White, Whatnot Silver etc etc). Changing wild pokemons, changing trainer pokemons, changing sprites.. doesnt take all that effort. May take a little more time to do, compared to 3rd gen, but still.. its not worth it. Thats just my opinion. Wild Pokemons and stuff like that can be just done using Action Replay or simple scripts... THIS IS COMING FROM ME! A HUGE POKEFREAK!

If you still wanna hack a pokemon rom, I suggest you go over the pokecommunity and focus on 3rd gen(advance) games instead. Those give you infinite opportunities and with time, effort and skills you can make amazing games.. completely off from the originals.

Reactions: 1 person

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasnt suggesting break up the EOF, i was poking fun a bit. Referring to the fact that if it's done, it'll be like a edge of the hacking section.
Maybe the more ppl that state the want it done, it'll happen. Easily done through a fair poll.
I'm just tired of trying to find the translation threads i want and having to sift through like 5 new pokehax threads everyday on top of the ones already there.
I know that's an exaggeration, but it is getting a bit much. No offence intended to any pokehaxxors, but do we really need a million different hax that are just sprite/pokemon/stat changes?
If it was a legit hack with changed map, story, characters and new pokemon or something, then I wouldn't view them as irrelevant.
Not intending to rant, it's just tiring. Especially for those using mobile. Sifting through pages of the same thing just having different names can be a pain.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not a bad idea. Although I like having super metroid brothers being pinned. That way it's at the top and i know of any new developments immediately.
Other than that, I really like that idea prowler.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others mentioned we have been down this path before ( http://gbatemp.net/topic/283703-pokemon-rom-hacking-sub-forum/ for my go at it) and although I still favour a subsection for reasons I covered in that thread I am fairly resigned to it not really going to happen as it would take a fair bit of effort to get it to the point where it is useful.

As for translations by themselves...... can't get to that or even that far away from hell no as some translations are straight up translations but others need in depth technical help to get going/progress. I can however see us adopting the "personal projects" thing as those at romhacking.net have done on their forums although how such things are enforced will need some debate (hacks and translations almost certainly but tools like tinke and MKDS editor will probably be best left to topic creators to decide and RE work on specific games with an aim to making them like pokemon or advance wars or RE work on formats who knows).
Also if we can get an RSS feed or something similar to display the last 5 posts in each section of the other section then 100% yes and even better if we can get shadow/clone topics (mod controlled naturally) but that might take some actual work.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm actually in favour of creating a separate "Pokémon haxx0rz" section now. They're really cluttering up the section.

I wouldn't like a separate "hacking" section as it would be nonetheless cluttered by Pokéh4xx and the few legit hacking threads would go lost into it.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
How about adding that new pokemon hacks needs certain criteria before they are allowed to be posted? Like a clear goal ahead on what to do and something to show.

Well but im more in for a sub forum.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Making a separate section specifically for Pokemon hacks seems a bit extreme. At the moment it's probably just a fad that will come and go.

I'd say condense them all into one thread, make stricter rules about posting Pokemon ROM hacks (threads will be locked/deleted unless X amount of progress is done before submitting or if updates don't occur every X days or something), or just, I dunno, tell people to stop making fucking Pokemon ROM hacks. Seriously, I don't know if a lot of people want to play 5 modified versions of the same game.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Making a separate section specifically for Pokemon hacks seems a bit extreme. At the moment it's probably just a fad that will come and go.

I'd say condense them all into one thread, make stricter rules about posting Pokemon ROM hacks (threads will be locked/deleted unless X amount of progress is done before submitting or if updates don't occur every X days or something), or just, I dunno, tell people to stop making fucking Pokemon ROM hacks. Seriously, I don't know if a lot of people want to play 5 modified versions of the same game.
Err, I meant a subsection, sorry.

That'd be TOO much work, imho. We would have to deal with kiddies saying "plz only one more week!1!1" every time, when they can't just comply with dates.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's annoying trying to find actual translation projects in between "Pokemon Pee Yellow!", "Pokemon Poo Brown!", "Pokemon Balls Shine!", "Pokemon Emerald 1st 2nd 3rd 4th-- 8th Attempt!", when most of them just end up closed or go nowhere anyway.

So I hope something gets done about it.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
The continued interest from the pokemon community is helping keep the ds scene alive for longer than it should. They do not deserve to be hindered in any way in light of this. (it's ok, though, to avoid them by retreating to the EOF bunker - for safety's sake :P)

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly my point Phoenix.
I go into that section A LOT to check out worthwhile hacks and translations.
It's seriously gotten to the point where i log in at the start of the day, lurk the translation section and see at least one new pokemon hack thread.
At that point I'm just thinking TROLL. Yeah, it may be a legitimate hack but it's just going to be more of the same.
It's almost like ppl with the very minimum of hacking skill make new pokehax just to create threads to be annoying.
I know that's not true but seems like it of late.
At least a rule of the hack having to have some sort of major changes in it would make it something to give a crap about and worthy of being listed.
Like a new story, fully reworked map, something ANYTHING of real substance.
With all these stupid pallet-swapping/pokemon swapping/difficulty changing hacks, once someone comes along with an actual pokemon hack worth playing it'll get overlooked because of all the shallow hack threads.
Sorry to keep ranting about it, but it's beyond old at this point.

EDIT: I'm all for the poke community keeping interest in the DS "scene". That's great honestly. How about they all get together with their ideas and make something truly worth playing?
I'm not trying to say they should totally stop, just sayin the hacks should have more substance than just simple changes and call it "POKEMONEPICHAXXORRAINBOWBROWN"
And in all honesty, it's Blood Of Bahamut, New Super Metroid Bros, AAi2 hacks/translations that are keeping the scene alive imho. (im sure alot of ppl would agree.)
If everything else died and all we had left was these pokehax, the scene wouldn't be kept alive by it.
All the ppl interested in serious hacks/translations would pay no attention.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far even when I actually do look to pokemon hacks, I look for draynos hacks. He's one of the very few that actually make a contribution to the pokemon hack scene. Everyone else creates useless threads for things they can't accomplish, or say they are going to do then never do it. Its almost like we need to hire pokemon hack watchmen just to keep track of these forums and delete them when necessary. But as has been said, its too much work. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for separating the forums as well, but unless we get a hell lotta people on board, it most likely can't happen :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1