Gaming Pokemon R/G/B/Y VC are region lock?

PedroKeitawa

OP
Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
Ok this is somthing i have to ask becouse i almost rare i can found somebody for complete the pokèdex in the original R/G/B/Y for the vc. But i have a 3DSJ and my intention is buy the opposite version (im my case blu or green) for my japanese console, but is my question: the game are region lock for the trade?

PedroKeitawa

OP
Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
The CIAs aren't regionlocked. So I doubt the games are, however linking 2 different region GB pokemon games to my knowledge breaks the english one.

gb/gbc, games could not trade between languages third gen is the first where that is possible.

Thanks for the answer ;) ton bad this is not possible. O well i have to collect all 150 Pokèmon in old school...try and hope to find somebody in my city for trade x°D

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ok this is somthing i have to ask becouse i almost rare i can found somebody for complete the pokèdex in the original R/G/B/Y for the vc. But i have a 3DSJ and my intention is buy the opposite version (im my case blu or green) for my japanese console, but is my question: the game are region lock for the trade?

If you don't have CFW, you will only be able to get the language corresponding to your 3DS.

Also, the games trade are regioned lock.

Only Japanese Pokemon can trade with Japanese Pokemon.

edit:
originally, it is possible to trade among European languages,
but VC blocks this, only allowing same language.

(not that they're being racist, it's simply because the original games are too simply and not programmed like that.
International trading only began with Gen III, albeit not fully implemented.
For example, you could trade between English to Japanese, but the full english name won't be displayed on JPN end,
though the data is technically still there.)

Last edited by Queno138,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The CIAs aren't regionlocked. So I doubt the games are, however linking 2 different region GB pokemon games to my knowledge breaks the english one.

It should be the opposite, as there are only 5 characters for names in the JP versions, so a Japanese pkm must fit in less space!
Sure, the international game may not like the junk at the end either...

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It should be the opposite, as there are only 5 characters for names in the JP versions, so a Japanese pkm must fit in less space!
Sure, the international game may not like the junk at the end either...

There's an entire article on bulbapedia talking about trading and why it doesn't work.

Supposedly Gen I and II, between jap and non jap, it's due to different ram addresses, as well as the text is stored slightly different,
and may result in game crashing.

As for Gen III, it mentions how a pokemon with a different name will keep it's different name.
(due to the lack of Nicknamed byte. I did this personally too)

My Haunter that was traded to a JPN version became "HAUNT", and upon evolving, Gengar maintained the name "HAUNT"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?