Pokemon Presents August 18th - new details on D/P remakes, Legends Arceus gets release date

After making the formal reveal a few days ago, it's time for the latest Pokemon Presents livestream to kick off. Featuring 28 minutes of content on upcoming Pokemon titles like the Diamond and Pearl remakes, there's bound to be plenty of new information shown. The stream begins soon, so be sure to catch it live, or read up on the recap in this thread.

Live Coverage

Pokemon Unite will be launching on mobile on September 22nd. You can preregister for the game, which will have crossplay with the Nintendo Switch version.

Sylveon and Mamoswine will be the latest Pokemon added in a future update.

Pokemon Cafe Mix is getting a revamp. It'll be called Pokemon Cafe Remix, and it'll feature new puzzles to complete. The update is coming this fall.

Pokemon Masters EX is celebrating its two-year anniversary. There will be plenty of events to go along with the anniversary and new trainers to pull.

Galar region Pokemon will be added to Pokemon Go, with the Sword and Shield legendary dogs to be featured in raids.

Next is new footage on the D/P remakes. Stickers on Pokeballs are returning, along with the Union Room. You'll be able to dress your trainer up, and contests are making a return too. The underground is back, along with its secret bases. It appears that you can find Pokemon there too now.

Launching November 19th, with preorders to open today.

Statues placed underground will determine special Pokemon you can find there.

Pokemon will follow you like HGSS.

There will be a special edition Switch Lite with Dialga and Palkia.

Legends Arceus is next.

There will be new forms of old Pokemon, such as Growlithe and Stantler. You can ride various types of Pokemon across the landscape.

Launches January 28, 2022.

Your base will be located in what becomes Jubilife City.

Cyllene will be someone that helps you in your journey, though looks like an ancestor of Cyrus.

Base camps will let you craft items for your adventures.

Your character can be attacked by wild Pokemon.

There are two styles, strong and agile. The former will lower your speed but give you power, while the other will let you attack more often.

There's a proto Pokedex you'll be tasked with filling out.

Wyrdeer is the evolution of Stantler, a new form of Basculin, and a Hisuian Bravery. Growlithe will have rock type moves.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually insane how bad the textures are for Legends. Gameplay and frame rate is clearly much improved since the first trailer but I have no idea how people can be satisfied with the game looking that bad.
Because not everyone has a fidelity fetish. Plain and simple, really.

Reactions: Xzi and DS1

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow no cross play or cross trading with gen 8.... wth. gen 8 is the first pokemon game without every pokemon and it will stay that way WTF was nintendo thinking... bastards....

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originally I wasn't too hot on the look of BDSP but I've really come around to it. I've been playing DPP and HGSS since the very first day of 2020 working towards a living dex. I had never played DPP before and man I was missing out. Super hyped.

Ajlr

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Soooo no Platinum content? It's ORAS again, being a remake of the base games instead of the superior third game? It's not even like HGSS, which was mostly the base game but pretty seamlessly added content from the third game?
Oh, don't think I didn't notice "Pokémon that appear in this game", when following Pokémon was mentioned. Yet another limited 'dex...UGH.

LAAAME.

And Legends, which I could not care about.
Maybe Platinum content is a surprise, we'll just have to wait and see.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope the legends of arceus game will not look as bad as in the "trailer". The water surface is afwully repeating, the textures are super low res and the geometry looks like from an n64 game. I mean the game will come out almost 5 years after breath of the wild and it looks that horrible? Ik its not final footage and they still have some time but development is slow and takes time. I am not trying to hate just for the hate. Im a fan since my childhood and ill give it try no matter what but .. bruh it looks awfull.

15:30 - n64 rocks
15:55 - n64 landscape
16:18 - the best shot to compare to BOTW
16:27 - the hell are those trees
16:35 - lack of everything in the distnace + repeating water pattern (or "grid" if you pause)
16:58 - look at the water

Some people dont like comparing game x to game y but after 5 years with a console that has proven to be capable of really good looking games with worlds full of things to discover and beautiful landscapes/scenerys wherever you go .. this will be an absolute piece of garbage and will be torn apart by diehard fans aswell as critics. The only people defending stuff like this are the fanboys who believe whatever is given to them is always the absolute best. This is a story that will forever repeat itself. I really hope they will fix it in time or better delay it to polish it even more.

Last edited by Slluxx,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
(Legends Arceus) will be an absolute piece of garbage and will be torn apart by diehard fans aswell as critics.
Just because of the graphics? I disagree. People have been wanting a departure from the standard Pokemon formula for over a decade now, and that's what this game is giving us.

The only people defending stuff like this are the fanboys who believe whatever is given to them is always the absolute best.
I stopped buying Pokemon games for a long while after gen 2, they just no longer appealed to me. I did buy Sword, but quickly traded that in after it became apparent how formulaic it was. I have no interest in the Diamond and Pearl remakes. Basically: I'm a much bigger fanboy of innovation and developers taking risks than I am of Pokemon itself.

Granted, whatever engine they're using is poorly optimized for an open world setting. However, in a game where they've added a dodge roll and Pokemon that attack the player character, frame rate is a much bigger priority than graphical fidelity. In that regard, the new trailer is a night and day difference from the reveal trailer (which didn't look much sharper anyway), so that's something I'm happy to see.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just because of the graphics?
No, i mean not just because of graphics. i mean the graphics itself.

in a game where they've added a dodge roll and Pokemon that attack the player character, frame rate is a much bigger priority than graphical fidelity.

But we have that in other games with 60fps already. there is no reason to defend them with "oh they did something new, why are you not excited for that?". I am excited for the new mechanics. But they didnt invent them. They are old and proven to work for half a decade. I know that games that come out now do not have to match or be better than older games in graphics. But man, there is an always evolving and moving line of a minimum graphical requirement for me, to not feel like i am playing a game thats 10 years old and from 2 console generations earlier. BOTW is not my minimum requirement, but the trailer definetly doesnt meet current industry standards at all.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
But we have that in other games with 60fps already.
AFAIK there aren't any open world games on Switch that run at 60 FPS. Even a number of linear games regularly see their frame rate dip into the low twenties or high teens.

I am excited for the new mechanics. But they didnt invent them. They are old and proven to work for half a decade.
Granted, but they've rarely been used in monster taming games, if ever. It's stuff that's mostly reserved for your Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed type games.

But man, there is an always evolving and moving line of a minimum graphical requirement for me, to not feel like i am playing a game thats 10 years old and from 2 console generations earlier. BOTW is not my minimum requirement, but the trailer definetly doesnt meet current industry standards at all.
If I'm choosing to be picky, no multi-platform game on Switch is really up to snuff, and emulators are already capable of making exclusives both look and run better. That's why I don't care much that they've chosen to sacrifice some fidelity for better performance with this particular title, it would still look bad under scrutiny even if they made it a slideshow.

It's also worth noting that Pokemon's moves in Legends Arceus seem to have more detailed/extended animations to them compared to Sword/Shield or BD/SP. That's something they haven't done since Pokemon Stadium, so it helps to make up a little for all the jaggies. Oh, and battles occur wherever you are in the open world, rather than wiping away to a static scene elsewhere.

Last edited by Xzi,

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
AFAIK there aren't any open world games on Switch that run at 60 FPS. Even a number of linear games regularly see their frame rate dip into the low twenties or high teens.
I mean, i can play skyrim at 60fps. while its not always 60fps, not a single game drops into 10s for me. The only time BOTW is really struggeling is at the mastersword location. But that location is filled with trees,bushes, insects and so on. there is no way you can compare this scene with the entire arceus trailer.

Granted, but they've rarely been used in monster taming games, if ever. It's stuff that's mostly reserved for your Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed type games.
When you create a game, there is no such thing as a dropdown menu which lets you select the type of game you want to make and that then automatically boost or drops your performance. The only thing that matters is how much the things are optimized. Yeah, these mechanics are usually not in pokemon type games but whats you point here? Because the mechanic is new to pokemon, it allows the game to look like ass?

It's also worth noting that Pokemon's moves in Legends Arceus seem to have more detailed/extended animations to them compared to Sword/Shield or BD/SP
True. the animations look good. And the villages also look pretty good, nothing to complain about there. Yet, i feel like you cant compare a poor game to a little less poor game and say "look, they did something good here". Its better, but not good.

Lets step back from this 60fps thing. I know its an unfair thing to ask for the switch and any title on it. The thing i am saying is that we have great looking games with great mechanics on the switch. BOTW, Skyrim, Fortnite (not a great comparison), Outlast 2 (also not perfect), Dragons Dogma and even Saints Row are all games which feature a lot more things on screen while still having better visuals than whats shown in the trailer of arceus. I get that its a different style and in an era where no cities with cars and action are around. But with those things removed, there should be more resources to put into what matters. geometry, draw distance and trees that doesnt look like they are made out of origami paper. Look at the timestamp i posted above and then at pictures from the sw/sh safari zone. I dont like those trees either, they are low res af but they still look better than any tree put in arceus.

Arceus doesnt need to have 60 fps and i dont mind the occasional dip into the 20s if there are things to render. But man, this will be a 60/70/80 bucks title and thats just.. too much for what i'm seeing here. And please dont suggest me "Dont buy the game if you dont like it". Thats just BS and the last straw to and a losing argument.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Late to the party on this one.

BDSP's visual are actually looking like a step up from its original announcement. Still hate the character and building models, but at least they improved the atmospheric effects. Still sad to see a lack of Platinum content though.

Legends looks like they borrowed tree-making techniques from the SWSH team, and took inspiration from DW9 in terms of atmosphere. Seriously, this game looks like it'll be fun and all, but GameFreak could have at least made it look as good as BOTW on the visual front, even if it were to take an extra few months. Flora is extremely lacking, the landscapes are very sparse and variety and size variation for trees is virtually non-existent. Yes, at the end of the day, a game is all about gameplay, but on a 3D game especially, visuals and atmosphere need to be taken into account. They don't need to have super high-res textures or anything, but what the environment lacks is style and richness. I get that GameFreak are often working on different projects all at once, but that's no excuse to throw some of the very basics of visual design out the window when producing a game. At the end of the day though, the game will still sell, so it's not like GameFreak really care to learn or even apply some of those principles.

Last edited by Delerious,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Because the mechanic is new to pokemon, it allows the game to look like ass?
No, the game would look like ass regardless, because GameFreak are bad at optimization, and from the DS onward Pokemon games have always looked worse than others on any given system. I'd be a lot less okay with that in Legends Arceus if it weren't for the fact that it's such a drastic departure from the standard formula. You don't have to feel the same way, though.

Arceus doesnt need to have 60 fps and i dont mind the occasional dip into the 20s if there are things to render.
Watch the reveal trailer and tell me that type of performance is acceptable. I'm not going to analyze it frame by frame, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't dipping into the low teens, which is completely ridiculous. Particularly in any game that requires fast reaction time.

And please dont suggest me "Dont buy the game if you dont like it".
I mean, I don't know what else to suggest. If the graphics are a deal-breaker for you, definitely don't buy it. I'm far from the only person who prefers the scales tipped toward performance though, and anything with the Pokemon name attached to it is pretty much guaranteed to sell well regardless.

Maybe it's the fact that I play a lot of retro games interspersed with modern ones, but I don't have any problem overlooking bad graphics so long as I'm in the right state of mind. A game ignoring inputs every now and then because of frame skips or unstable frame rate, though? That drives me into a bit of a rage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended