Gaming Pokemon Pearl/Diamond Competitive battles.

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm trying to pick up on my DS again. I haven't been playing it lately and I decided to get into the competitive scene of Pokemon battles. Thing is, I never battled competitively so I wonder how do I start? What are the basics I need to know? Instead of posting links to websites.. are there certain things I must remember instead? I usually like to go by tournament standards, so anything banned/overpowered I won't be using them.

Zamo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First things first, start memorizing as much of the standard movesets for the most commonly used pokemon as you can. This will help in both prediction and in recognising what works and what doesn't. Lists of the most popular pokemon as well as their movesets can be found here.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
InuYasha said:
3.Be prepared to face alot of the same pokemon

That's what I was gonna be afraid of lol. Its kind of sad to see not so many pokemons being used when there's so many varieties.

One questions for anyone to answer though.. did anyone test to see if evolving a pokemon at a later level affects the outcome of the stats when they reach level 100? 'cause I didn't evolve some of my pokemon just so they can learn the movesets more quickly.. but the stats might be affected..?

Ryoku

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
One questions for anyone to answer though.. did anyone test to see if evolving a pokemon at a later level affects the outcome of the stats when they reach level 100? 'cause I didn't evolve some of my pokemon just so they can learn the movesets more quickly.. but the stats might be affected..?

Stats are calculated by IVs, EVs, and Natures. I don't think waiting to evolve your pokemon will affect it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Platinum*

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ballistic said:
Or you can be an asshole like most on Wi-Fi and do pokesav.

Eugh. I only use pokesav for the hell of the cool pokeballs. bogus stats
like 999 for everything is so dull and bull.

I think the first step would be building your team. Not necessarily getting
the pokemon yet, but planning out your team. Yes, there are "overused,
underused, borderlines" etc. You'll see many of the same pokemon
and move sets due to Serebii's recommendations so it'd be best to build
a team within the overused section which counters the most deadly
pokemon. Have fun!
smile.gif

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dipper145 said:
best advice is
1. Don't do it.

"Competitive battles" hah.

My best advice:

1. Don't post if you don't have something to post about. Pokemon battles are quite competitive. You'd be surprised if you actually watch one. I've always played the method of attack with the strongest attack until you die.

Ryoku said:
QUOTE(Anakir @ Jan 24 2009, 12:22 PM) One questions for anyone to answer though.. did anyone test to see if evolving a pokemon at a later level affects the outcome of the stats when they reach level 100? 'cause I didn't evolve some of my pokemon just so they can learn the movesets more quickly.. but the stats might be affected..?

Stats are calculated by IVs, EVs, and Natures. I don't think waiting to evolve your pokemon will affect it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sorry, what is IVs, EVs, and Nature..? lol.

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IVs is short for Individual Values, EVs for Effort Values, Nature is the pokemon's nature (you see it in their summary: Timid; Adamant; Jolly; Docile; etc).

Individual Values is basically the stat ranking of a pokemon once you catch it. It cannot be changed unless you catch another. It ranges from 1-31, 31 being the best. Each stat has its own IV; ATK, DEF, SPD, SP ATK, SP DEF...)

Effort Values are the hidden stat bonuses you achieve while defeating enemies. A single pokemon can get 510 EVs total, 255 max for each stat. Every 4 effort value is one more stat point into that one specific stat. Defeating certain pokemon gives EVs of a certain type and different quantities of it. This is one of the most important factors when participating in competitive battles, so be wise when distributing these hidden values! It might seem tedious, but there are a lot of things that speeds up the process, the simplest one is knowing where to train. Try this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925602/48969

Nature also affects one's stats. Normally, it weakens one stat to boost another. Although there are natures that has no affect whatsoever. Although these balanced natures sound decent at first, it isn't very good, since some people can perform better when boosting one stat for another. For the sake of argument, say Mewtwo (whose a Sp.ATK beast), usually goes with Timid or Modest nature. Both of these nature reduces ATK which isn't one of Mewtwo's strong assets.

Here's a list:
-Lonely: +Attack, -Defense
-Brave: +Attack, -Speed
-Adamant: +Attack, -Special Attack
-Naughty: +Attack, -Special Defense

-Bold: +Defense, -Attack
-Relaxed: +Defense, -Speed
-Impish: +Defense, -Special Attack
-Lax: +Defense, -Special Defense

-Timid: +Speed, -Attack
-Hasty: +Speed, -Defense
-Jolly: +Speed, -Special Attack
-Naive: +Speed, -Special Defense

-Modest: +Special Attack, -Attack
-Mild: +Special Attack, -Defense
-Quiet: +Special Attack, -Speed
-Rash: +Special Attack, -Special Defense

-Calm: +Special Defense, -Attack
-Gentle: +Special Defense, -Defense
-Sassy: +Special Defense, -Speed
-Careful: +Special Defense, -Special Attack

Copied that from gamefaqs.

Hope it helps.

Ryoku

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
dipper145 said:
best advice is
1. Don't do it.

"Competitive battles" hah.

My best advice:

1. Don't post if you don't have something to post about. Pokemon battles are quite competitive. You'd be surprised if you actually watch one. I've always played the method of attack with the strongest attack until you die.

Ryoku said:
QUOTE(Anakir @ Jan 24 2009, 12:22 PM) One questions for anyone to answer though.. did anyone test to see if evolving a pokemon at a later level affects the outcome of the stats when they reach level 100? 'cause I didn't evolve some of my pokemon just so they can learn the movesets more quickly.. but the stats might be affected..?

IVs are Individual Values. They range from 0-31 (in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl) and add one stat point to your stats. EVs are Effort Values. They raise your stats by 1 point for every 4 that you get in that stat. For example, you fight 4 Bidoofs, you get 4 HP EVs, thus you get one more point for HP than you would have gotten if you didn't fight the 4 Bidoofs. The max for all EVs combined is 510. You cannot exceed this number. Natures are like jolly/lonely/impish, whatever else that show up on the information window for your pokemon. These raise certain stats and decrease certain stats depending on what nature it is.

For better information go here:

Here for EVs, Here for IVs, and Here for Natures.

It might look overwhelming and complicated at first but it's really not. Just try and get the highest IVs you can (by breeding) and fight certain enemies for the EVs. Make sure to keep track of the EVs also. Pokesav would be useful in this aspect, but I don't endorse hacking pokemon. Only use it to check IVs and keep track of EVs.

Edit: Lol ballistic beat me to it.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
http://www.pokesav.org/main/ivev-guide Lol, i hate EVs, i always battle pokemon that dont have the EVs I want.
sleep.gif

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/ This shows the EVs pokemon give out. Scroll down until you see small DARK brown boxes(not the light brown ones) with "HP,Attack, Defense etc"
EDIT: Lol beaten by two people. Maybe i should start training how fast i surf for info.
yaynds.gif

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol wow that does sound complicated, but I get it. I just gotta find the right creatures to train off of then. That was a big help and answered a lot of my upcoming questions. Thanks a lot.
smile.gif

Hm.. near the end of the game, I might just finish it off with Rare Candy cheat to put them all to 100 so I can get into the competitive battle more quickly. Is this suggested? I don't want to spend too much time playing the game alone. I'll only do this when the EVs of my pokemon are maxed out though.

Ryoku

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
lol wow that does sound complicated, but I get it. I just gotta find the right creatures to train off of then. That was a big help and answered a lot of my upcoming questions. Thanks a lot.
smile.gif

Hm.. near the end of the game, I might just finish it off with Rare Candy cheat to put them all to 100 so I can get into the competitive battle more quickly. Is this suggested? I don't want to spend too much time playing the game alone. I'll only do this when the EVs of my pokemon are maxed out though.

When you play over Wi-Fi, you have the option to automatically put all of your pokemon to level 100, so this is kind of pointless other than you just saying you have so-and-so pokemon at level 100. Just make sure your IVs and EVs are all in order and you'll be fine.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit. Serious? Wow, that's really convenient for me. Then all I need to worry about are: IVs, EVs, Movesets, and Nature. Correct?

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Movesets, weaknesses, and sometimes abilities are vital to the battles as well. Movesets and weaknesses determines a lot of capabilities that your team can or cannot do, or how well they do. Abilities play special role sometimes. Like Intimidate for example, it lowers your opponents' ATK when the monster with Intimidate ability is sent out. This is useful if your team's weakpoints are in the areas of DEF and/or the opponent strengths are ATK.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
War said:
Lol, screw OU Pokemon. Back when I played D/P, my team had a Delibird and a Pikachu in it.

Hell I remember back in the day on netbattle(years ago) people would flip caused I liked to use Mewtwo(one of my favorites).....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay