ROM Hack Pokémon Nova Sun & Umbra Moon: Fully-featured, challenging Sun/Moon ROMhacks!

Sharan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Awesome Dio, I Can't wait to play this! Just one suggestion, next time, could u make a nuzlocke build of this game for us to play?
It's kinda boring not playing this as a nuzlocke. I know the game is meant to be a challenge in itself, but seriously, not having the fear of our Pokemon fainting just removes all the fun(at least for me). Still, great job man!

Reactions: SahierKHLover

Jayc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Awesome Dio, I Can't wait to play this! Just one suggestion, next time, could u make a nuzlocke build of this game for us to play?
It's kinda boring not playing this as a nuzlocke. I know the game is meant to be a challenge in itself, but seriously, not having the fear of our Pokemon fainting just removes all the fun(at least for me). Still, great job man!

But there's nothing stopping you from nuzlocking this?

Reactions: SahierKHLover

Heiankyou

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Since you can get a 6IV Ditto with Destiny Knot in the game, would it be possible to unlock the IV checker during the main game? Would be very helpful

PedroKeitawa

Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
But there's nothing stopping you from nuzlocking this?
Dude, it literally says
'This game is NOT designed for Nuzlocke play'

Im do a nuzlocke on youtube and i have to say until now the game is not the problematic, even if i have two mons weak to fire/elertric and flyieng at the moment, i deal with worst game that trow bullshit at you right after start the game...well the RGN can screw you at any point (lucky critical hit from the CPU) but at the moment, for what i see, is not Radiant Dawn level of bullshit that give you character that can deal tons of damage but cant take a simple hit. Probably the end game and trial can screw me up, but i guess is nothging that a good level up and training can solve. But as always the RGN is around so is better to be always prepare if you do a nuzlocke.

JS20

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I have a question, I have a white screen after a cutscene with this girl who where atacked by bad team. After that i have subtitle Pokemon sun and then when I see house, one second later I get white screen. Someone know how to solve it?

Jayc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Beat the E4, so I'll give my impressions on it for now. Note that this is only for the Expanded build, since I only played that.

The Totem battles were mostly very well done. Hilariously, the Yungoos one was much easier compared to the Team Skull grunt battle inside the trial area, with that Grudge Shedinja paired with the boosting Whirlipede. The Yungoos and Wishiwashi battles could probably stand to be a bit harder somehow.

Most of the single battles were still susceptible to the same problem of the Pokemon AI as a whole, i.e. the lack of switching against very unfavourable matchups making it very easy to setup boosts and sweep their entire team. This is no fault of the mod, but a few circumstances made it somewhat easier. The first is the very early availability of the TMs for Reflect and Light Screen, which can be purchased as soon as you reach the 2nd island. This is in contrast to XY, where Reflect and Light Screen TMs were available only postgame, and ORAS, where they were available in Lilycove City, which is a bit over halfway into the game. Reflect and Light Screen makes it easy for the player to set up on the opposing Pokemon by drastically cutting the amount of damage received, so being available early means that the player can start to build their team around setup earlier into the game.

Of course, in order to actually abuse Reflect/Light Screen and setup, you need Pokemon which can do the job well. And here is another aspect of NS/UM that made it easier: Rotom.

Rotom can be caught at Route 1, which is basically the start of the game and immediately upgraded to one of its appliance formes in the same area it is caught in. Even if you do not intend to cheese single battles with setup moves, Rotom is a very powerful and versatile Pokemon to be available so early into the game, having stats comparable to a fully-evolved starter, extremely strong STAB moves and good defensive typing in Electric + Levitate and whatever type its particular current forme has. It is versatile in that you can easily swap its typing and STAB move anytime by going to Kukui's Lab. But more importantly, it has very good defensive stats and can learn both Reflect and Light Screen. Later on, it can learn Volt Switch (Mt. Hokulani), which can be paired with minimum speed to allow your setup Pokemon to switch-in at full health, and Will-o-Wisp (Konikoni City), which is amazing for neutering non-fire, non-Guts physical attackers. Its STAB moves are also perfect for abusing Z-Crystals as they have high base power but many drawbacks that Z-Crystals nullify.

Personally, while I think Rotom is a bit broken to be available at the start of the game, I really enjoyed using it since it was a very strong glue to the team, having crazy high stats at the start of the game and later on, Will-o-Wisp support along with Levitate to cripple all the Earthquake users that would otherwise hurt a lot of setup sweepers. It should probably be moved elsewhere, Thrifty Megamart would be thematic but pretty late into the game and Pokemon that are found late into the game are often not very useful.

And that leads me into the biggest gripe I had with the Expanded build, though it's not entirely the fault of the mod itself. That is, the move relearner in SM has been moved all the way to the Pokemon League, which is basically the end of the game. This was probably done because the move relearner was changed to be capable of teaching a Pokemon any move it can learn via level-up, including moves it would learn at higher levels. The problem is that because of the higher level curve, you will encounter a lot of Pokemon at very high levels, which locks them out of a big part of their learnset. This was not an issue in Rutile Ruby/Star Sapphire because the move relearner was in Fallarbor Town, which was pretty early into the Hoenn, but it's pretty annoying in Nova Sun/Umbral Moon when your teambuilding choices are rather limited because wild Pokemon can't learn a lot of moves they should be able to until you reach the Elite Four.

The team I used to beat the Elite Four ended up being Rotom-W/Porygon-Z/Tyrantrum/Gyarados/Flygon/Pyukumuku. The strategy used was to simply set-up screens and maybe burn the opponent, then switch to the appropriate sweeper, setup and oneshot everything. All of my setup sweepers had some way to boost Speed to solve the problem of trainer Pokemon now having speed EVs, with Porygon-Z using Z-Conversion while the rest used Dragon Dance. Tyrantrum was chosen because it learned Stealth Rock, which meant it could sweep without being stopped by Sturdy and Focus Sash. Gyrados was the setup sweeper against special attackers because Tyrantrum had terrible SpD and would die to special attacks even with Light Screen. Flygon was to setup on Electric-types, which caused problems for Gyrados. Porygon-Z was the backup sweeper for all other cases, though it usually ended up being the most consistent setup sweeper. Pyukumuku was there solely to check opposing setup sweepers with Unaware + Toxic/Recover/Soak/Protect stalling but I didn't use it in the Pokemon League because none of the Elite 4 used setup moves with their first Pokemon. The most annoying thing was the Skarmory with Whirlwind that I had to kill with Rotom first, but otherwise the rest of the Elite 4 was swept rather easily.

Last edited by Jayc,
Reactions: RewriteT

Kudos2u

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm on cfw on 11.2 and I downloaded Pokemon Moon from the freeshop and in your guide it says the game needs to be on version 1.1. Every time I go to update Pokemon moon it says I need to system update, is it safe?

Hylianzero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna do that but there isn't an update button, only the button to delete the game

Click the Controller Icon. That will take you to your game list. Scroll down to the game, click it, and it should open a little thing with icons for downloading updates/DLC.

Kudos2u

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Click the Controller Icon. That will take you to your game list. Scroll down to the game, click it, and it should open a little thing with icons for downloading updates/DLC.
There's nothing there for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 190

Kudos2u

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's.... odd.

Well, you might need to update it normally. I see that you said you were on 11.2, I assume you're using Luma3DS and A9LH? Why haven't you updated to 11.3?
I never updated cuz I didn't know if it was safe, is there a guide for updating?

Hylianzero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never updated cuz I didn't know if it was safe, is there a guide for updating?

If you're using Luma3DS + A9LH, updating is always safe. Sometimes things don't work properly right away, though.

To update, run Luma3DS Updater and make sure you're on the latest stable build of Luma3DS. Then You'll need to update the HBL which can be done by downloading the new CIA from github, or from updating in FBI I believe. Then you just System Update like normal on your 3DS.

Kudos2u

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using Luma3DS + A9LH, updating is always safe. Sometimes things don't work properly right away, though.

To update, run Luma3DS Updater and make sure you're on the latest stable build of Luma3DS. Then You'll need to update the HBL which can be done by downloading the new CIA from github, or from updating in FBI I believe. Then you just System Update like normal on your 3DS.
Thanks this helped I got Umbra Moon now :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1