ROM Hack Pokémon Nova Sun & Umbra Moon: Fully-featured, challenging Sun/Moon ROMhacks!

Dutchfellaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Very nice mod! i've really enjoyed it so far.
I did encounter one problem tho: I can't find a Togepi on Route 3. I've looked in all the grass patches and in the grass patch it's supposed to be I couldn't find it after 200+ wild pokemon encounters. A friend of mine had the exact same problem. Is there another way to get a Togepi?

Last edited by Dutchfellaw,

DynamicBlood

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I was really happy to hear we're getting higher difficulty hacks. Also happy to hear you get aid for the competitive play element, so you can train. But one thing that rubs me the wrong way is: 'everything obtainable is 100% legal and legitimate for real online battles or trades.' I'm sorry what? Maybe I didn't understand correctly but it sounds as if you can take the competitive-easy-mode-pokemons obtained in this version and use them against actual legit copies of the game in legit battles against players, that got their pokemons without the perks of this version...again sorry if I misunderstood. But if that's correct, doesn't that seem a SLIGHT BIT terribly unfair?

I mean if you're gonna make a hack for the purpose of competitive testing that's amazing, but then why make the output pokemon compatible with legal gameplay and trading? Probably because you want a competitive edge over the people not using the hack? Again I hope I'm wrong, but if it is so, isn't it ironic, how we're pumping up the difficulty in the campaign because it's too easy, but we're dumbing down the effort requred to play competitively because it's too much of a hassle?

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was really happy to hear we're getting higher difficulty hacks. Also happy to hear you get aid for the competitive play element, so you can train. But one thing that rubs me the wrong way is: 'everything obtainable is 100% legal and legitimate for real online battles or trades.' I'm sorry what? Maybe I didn't understand correctly but it sounds as if you can take the competitive-easy-mode-pokemons obtained in this version and use them against actual legit copies of the game in legit battles against players, that got their pokemons without the perks of this version...again sorry if I misunderstood. But if that's correct, doesn't that seem a SLIGHT BIT terribly unfair?

I mean if you're gonna make a hack for the purpose of competitive testing that's amazing, but then why make the output pokemon compatible with legal gameplay and trading? Probably because you want a competitive edge over the people not using the hack? Again I hope I'm wrong, but if it is so, isn't it ironic, how we're pumping up the difficulty in the campaign because it's too easy, but we're dumbing down the effort requred to play competitively because it's too much of a hassle?
I'm not sure what you mean by "competitive easy mode". Legit Build Pokémon are exactly the same as those caught in the base version of the game. There is absolutely no difference between a Yungoos caught in Nova Sun Legit Build and one caught in Sun. It doesn't have higher stats or built in EVs, or learn any illegal moves. It won't be "re-balanced" to be a better Pokémon.

If there were any differences between a Nova Sun Pokémon and a Sun Pokémon, it would cause a desync.

DynamicBlood

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I'm not sure what you mean by "competitive easy mode". Legit Build Pokémon are exactly the same as those caught in the base version of the game. There is absolutely no difference between a Yungoos caught in Nova Sun Legit Build and one caught in Sun. It doesn't have higher stats or built in EVs, or learn any illegal moves. It won't be "re-balanced" to be a better Pokémon.

If there were any differences between a Nova Sun Pokémon and a Sun Pokémon, it would cause a desync.

I wasn't refering to the pokemon themselves but rather the breeding assist, that makes obtaing ideal scenarios much more likely 'a 6IV Ditto is available through an in-game trade (holding a Destiny Knot), Eggs hatch in one cycle, and Level 100 Memento Blissey battles are available in the Battle Buffet' at this point if everyone can get a hold of a 6IV Destiny Knot Ditto, what's the point of IVs even existing anymore, doesn't it undermine the mechanic?

Marusero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, I was trying to randomize the hack, I followed the instructions in the FAQ but I ran into some problems:
First, does the build have to be the leveled build or can I randomize the expanded build?
Secondly, after having the hack working, I dumped the game and followed the randomizer instructions in the FAQ. When I run the all in one bat it extracts the game into the Rom_extracted folder and then asks if I want to randomize it. I type Y but then, when pk3ds tries to open it it gives me an error saying something about the 'a' folder not being in the top level?

What can I do about that?

Artaios

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really like this. I welcome the added difficulty and diversity. The item prices in particular for balls and sacred ash do feel like cheating though.

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like this. I welcome the added difficulty and diversity. The item prices in particular for balls and sacred ash do feel like cheating though.
Balls are meant to be irrelevant to the difficulty, they used to be 90% cheaper than they currently are but that looked odd. As for Sacred Ash, every single fight is meant to be attempted with a fully healed team which is why Restoration Wing and Revival Powder exist and are cheap. It's to ensure that you don't waste time running back to a Pokémon Center for a free heal after every battle: That would get annoying and repetitive and is a huge issue in most difficulty hacks I've played. It's item use in battle that's overpowered and cheesy, hence the exorbitant prices for Full Restore and friends.

Artaios

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks! Do the Premier Balls still have a catch rate of 1 even though they are more expensive? I think they could stand to have a slightly higher one. Also, did you consider increasing the level of the very first battle with the rival? Level 5 and type disadvantage makes it laughable. At first I was not even sure that the hack patch worked :D

The resale value of the items held by Pokemon you catch seems a bit high as well.

Last edited by Artaios,

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! Do the Premier Balls still have a catch rate of 1 even though they are more expensive? I think they could stand to have a slightly higher one. Also, did you consider increasing the level of the very first battle with the rival? Level 5 and type disadvantage makes it laughable. At first I was not even sure that the hack patch worked :D

The resale value of the items held by Pokemon you catch seems a bit high as well.
Premier Balls are purely cosmetic. You pay for the aesthetic.
If I increased the level of the first battle, there would be nothing the player can do besides grind against wild Pokémon, which I don't want to encourage. The game's level curve is designed to be smooth with absolutely no grinding necessary. You can tell the hack is applied correctly because the opening monologue by Kukui is different, as well as the "load game" screen.

thevahnkaiser

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What's the latest title update supported for this rom hack? (If you could also answer this question for both Pokemon Supernova Sun and Rutile Ruby, so I don't bump those threads, I would be grateful)

Last edited by thevahnkaiser,

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the latest title update supported for this rom hack? (If you could also answer this question for both Pokemon Supernova Sun and Rutile Ruby, so I don't bump those threads, I would be grateful)
All of my hacks work over the latest version via Luma Drag and Drop. If you're patching CIAs or creating 3DS files, you cannot use any updates.

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
All of my hacks work over the latest version via Luma Drag and Drop. If you're patching CIAs or creating 3DS files, you cannot use any updates.

hey Dio, i have a copy of nova sun and umbra moon,
i believe they are 2 or so updates behind 1.9.
from what i gather from your site, i can just drag and drop the new rom hack release 1.9 luma folder over to my sd card and i will be able to play nova sun 1.6 cia in 1.9 now correct?
or do i have to rebuild the cia?

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
Hello there, I was trying to randomize the hack, I followed the instructions in the FAQ but I ran into some problems:
First, does the build have to be the leveled build or can I randomize the expanded build?
Secondly, after having the hack working, I dumped the game and followed the randomizer instructions in the FAQ. When I run the all in one bat it extracts the game into the Rom_extracted folder and then asks if I want to randomize it. I type Y but then, when pk3ds tries to open it it gives me an error saying something about the 'a' folder not being in the top level?

What can I do about that?

you cant randomize the leveled version. it has to be the expanded version.

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you cant randomize the leveled version. it has to be the expanded version.
This is false, you can randomize whichever version you like. Randomizing the leveled version will have the same results as randomizing the expanded version.
hey Dio, i have a copy of nova sun and umbra moon,
i believe they are 2 or so updates behind 1.9.
from what i gather from your site, i can just drag and drop the new rom hack release 1.9 luma folder over to my sd card and i will be able to play nova sun 1.6 cia in 1.9 now correct?
or do i have to rebuild the cia?
You need to be running the base version of the game if you're using a built CIA. No updates allowed. Version 1.0.
Alternatively, just use Drag and Drop, there's really no reason to use a built CIA for these.

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
i followed all the steps to a T, and even used my own cartridge dump for pokemon ultra sun, used godmode9 to make it into a cia, i then installed that cia, just so i can go back into godmode 9 and make a cia from that cia, because that one will be decrypted.
then i go build the rom, everything is successful,
i uninstalled updates
but on launch will crash my system. every. single. time
its useful to have a cia copy. cuz, reasons.
the thing is, you have to build the cia just to get the pk3ds romfs files from the randomizer.
i spent 2 days. extracting, building, backing up, installing, building etc.
is the build function of your program broke? outdated?
could you please re-write the directions for building the cia version? including banner and icon?
i even built a .3ds version for a friend who uses gateway, he says it hangs on the 3ds screen
i decrypted my cartridge dump, extracted, built it, then re-encrypted it with godmode9.

could you show me what im doing wrong?
the custom banner is the main reason i want the cia version.

Last edited by LowEndC,

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i followed all the steps to a T, and even used my own cartridge dump for pokemon ultra sun, used godmode9 to make it into a cia, i then installed that cia, just so i can go back into godmode 9 and make a cia from that cia, because that one will be decrypted.
then i go build the rom, everything is successful,
i uninstalled updates
but on launch will crash my system. every. single. time
its useful to have a cia copy. cuz, reasons.
the thing is, you have to build the cia just to get the pk3ds romfs files from the randomizer.
i spent 2 days. extracting, building, backing up, installing, building etc.
is the build function of your program broke? outdated?
could you please re-write the directions for building the cia version? including banner and icon?
i even built a .3ds version for a friend who uses gateway, he says it hangs on the 3ds screen
i decrypted my cartridge dump, extracted, built it, then re-encrypted it with godmode9.

could you show me what im doing wrong?
the custom banner is the main reason i want the cia version.
Wait a second. You appear to be talking about Ultra Sun (Supernova Sun) in this thread, which is about Nova Sun. Make sure you're not using Nova on a copy of Ultra, or Supernova on a copy of regular Sun.

Theone5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I could not find any related info on this so perhaps somebody can point me in the right direction.
I'm creating a single .cia file using the Building Custom CIA/3DS File Instructions guide. Every step works until using the All_In_One batch. The CLI mentiones The patched ROM is located at {location}\Modified_ROM.cia

I only see the original rom.cia in that folder. I found one "answer" mentioning that it was due to a lack of RAM... Right.. So how much computer RAM do you need? 64GB DDR4 running at 3.200MT/s.. or it is something different? *Confused*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself