ROM Hack Pokémon Nova Sun & Umbra Moon: Fully-featured, challenging Sun/Moon ROMhacks!

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... You're telling me this whole time instead of manually uploading ten files to MEGA whenever I update the hack i could have just been building the 7z files into my google drive and letting it auto-update?
Could you make a Randomized version? It would be so cool
Instructions on how to do that are in the OP and second post. If I posted a Randomized build, everyone who gets it would have the same random encounters. Randomizing it yourself isn't hard. Make sure you use the Leveled or Expanded builds as a base for randomizing.

Last edited by Dio Vento,

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I have to know something beforehand if I want to go online with the expanded build?
Whatever you catch in the Expanded Build won't be legal for trade or battle. No idea how stringent Nintendo's hack checkers are, and I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for using hacked pokemon (thanks to trading) but don't blame me if you get banned for using Expanded Build mons online.

nwhiteman42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VMZsk9U.png

It should work fine. Are you on NS/UM v1.7? You might have caught it holding a Twisted Spoon, the item is consumed when it evolves.

The Expanded Build has the exact same encounter tables between Nova Sun & Umbra Moon. No added Legendaries or UBs, but every other species is available.
Maybe it did have a twisted spoon then. I am on 1.7 but it evolved while I was still on 1.6

dvicin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did not understand what to do to play in Italian..
Can anyone explain me how?
How do i run the .bat file?
thx )

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not understand what to do to play in Italian..
Can anyone explain me how?
How do i run the .bat file?
thx )
If you're on windows, double click the bat file. All the bat file does is make the title screen work in all languages (it just copies the english intro movie to the other languages). This is to save file size in the distro pack since the intro movie is a relatively large file.
The game text changes won't be applied in Italian. If you're okay with English i recommend playing in english.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe it did have a twisted spoon then. I am on 1.7 but it evolved while I was still on 1.6
I didn't change evolution methods at all between 1.6 and 1.7 and haven't touched Kadabra's evolution method since v1.3, so you probably just didn't notice the Twisted Spoon. And v1.0 to v1.2 Kadabra just wasn't able to use the Twisted Spoon to evolve.

Dunkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! Everything seems to be working! When i started the game the second time i was prompted with an update though. Is this an update i should install? Without it it still plays

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! Everything seems to be working! When i started the game the second time i was prompted with an update though. Is this an update i should install? Without it it still plays
Assuming you're using the Drag and Drop pack, you need to update. If you don't, the game will freeze whenever you go to a Poké Mart.
If you built and installed a CIA or are playing through a Gateway, you shouldn't update, or you'll have the same freeze problem.
So how difficult is this mod really compared to normal game?
Play it yourself and find out!

Dunkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im wondering what the max level of pokemon i can train on the first island is. I just dont wanna over train and then be screwed

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im wondering what the max level of pokemon i can train on the first island is. I just dont wanna over train and then be screwed
The game is designed so you'll be properly leveled if you fight all the trainers without grinding in the grass at all. The Kahuna is in the low Lv20s.

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to know you've already got plans for the next one :) <3 your romhacks as always.
Look, Ultra Sun/Moon are going to be the last 3DS pokemon games, which means they'll be the last ones to get a romhack by me for a damn while. Of course I'm gonna hack them ♥

Reactions: GamingAori

Trainiax

Certified Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't realize until now that the USUM hacks have the original names in them "Supernova, Penumbra". Also noticed the trainer in Po Town had three Unowns, a D, I, and O. (DIO)

Reactions: Dio Vento
Trophies
XP
Project Pokémon OP
GBATemp OP
PokéCommunity OP
Reddit /r/3dshacks OP
DdZzdJG.png
IBLyrRa.png

ROM hack of: Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon (3DS)

Pokémon Nova Sun and Umbra Moon are mods for Pokémon Sun and Moon. Like my Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire hacks, their main purpose is to provide a more challenging game experience while not artificially limiting the player. The premier feature of Nova Sun and Umbra Moon is the ground-up redesign of Pokémon Trainers in the world to increase the game's challenge. Every trainer in the game has been edited, and the level curve expects use of the Experience Share, which means that the player levels up very quickly. Every Pokémon in Trainers' teams has a hold item and a proper moveset. The end-game of the main story features trainers with Levels in the mid-nineties.

Nova Sun and Umbra Moon's secondary focus is inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's "20XX Hack Pack" which enables features for competitive players to practice and grind. In Nova Sun and Umbra Moon's Legit Build, everything obtainable is 100% legal and legitimate for real online battles or trades. In all Builds, some features are designed to make preparing competitive teams much less of a hassle. Competitive hold items are much more available, a 6IV Ditto is available through an in-game trade (holding a Destiny Knot), Eggs hatch in one cycle, and Level 100 Memento Blissey battles are available in the Battle Buffet once the main story has been beaten.​

dOS95Sb.png
U3rD7xt.png

These mods are very expansive. In addition to Trainers, Nova Sun and Umbra Moon also feature edited:
  • Wild Pokémon availability (in three different ways!)
  • Wild Pokémon hold items
  • Item availability in Poké Marts and from special vendors
  • Evolution methods for Trade Evolutions and "Level up in a specific area/version" Evolutions
  • And much more!

CaR6GOW.png
6AVVI1b.png
XND3WIV.png

EiFk3oQ.gif
Trainer Changes
EiFk3oQ.gif

view spoiler for detailed information
  • Harsher Level Curve: Balanced to the EXP Share!
  • All-new Trainer teams, designed from the ground up, many featuring six Pokémon!
  • All Captains, Kahunas, and other bosses have six Pokémon!
  • Every fully-evolved non-Legendary Pokémon (and Mega Evolution) will be encountered in a Trainer's team during the main story!
  • Totems are powered up and pack new strategies!
  • Post-game Memento Blisseys added to Battle Buffet in Hau'oli City!
  • Trainers are capable of EV Training their Pokémon!
  • The level curve is steeper. The game is balanced around use of the EXP Share, which allows for explosive growth. Disabling the EXP share is not recommended.
  • While grinding is always possible, the curve is such that the player will be approximately even with all enemy levels if you complete the optional content such as side routes. Thanks to the Gen 5 Experience Formula, skipping fights won't underlevel the player as much as it did in Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire, but skipping Trainers can still leave the player ill-equipped to handle the challenge.
  • The player might become overleveled if they use the Lucky Egg, Pokémon Refresh, and/or the Trade Bonus.
  • All trainers’ teams have been changed to provide greater challenge. This isn’t just a global “level buff”, each team was individually created. They often have very different Pokémon than in Sun and Moon.

a8L97fQ.png
exQh96i.png

nfRJbvM.gif
Wild Pokémon Changes
nfRJbvM.gif

There are four builds available of NS/UM! They only differ in Wild Pokémon availability:
  • Legit Build: All Wild Pokémon are 100% legit for trade and will not appear as "hacked" by any legitimacy testers. Island Scan Pokémon are available in the wild normally. Most nocturnal Pokémon are available in the day (rarer than they are at night, usually). The converse is true for diurnal Pokémon. Rare and interesting Pokémon have been moved into more common slots.
  • Leveled Build (Recommended!): Wild Pokémon are the same as in the Legit Build, but are leveled up to keep pace with NS/UM's harsh level curve. A quick adjustment in PKHeX (editing Met Level) will make them 100% legit.
  • Expanded Build: Wild Pokémon are altered so that every non-Legendary (Tapu/UB/Mythical Pokémon count as Legendary) species is available, at the same level as the Leveled Build. Legendary encounters are not changed in this or any Build. Click here to see where you can catch every Pokémon!
  • Lite Build: No changes to the Wild Encounter Tables of Sun and Moon were made.
All (non-Lite) Builds feature the following:
  • Island Scan Pokémon are available in the wild!
  • Rarity within areas adjusted!
  • Certain patches of grass are optimized for painless and early SOS EV training!
  • Lots more Wild Hold Items! (Even in Lite Build)
  • Meowth, Wimpod, Murkrow, Pikipek, and more can now hold Bottle Caps or Golden Bottle Caps in the wild! (Even in Lite Build)
  • Anything caught within the Legit Build is completely legitimate and trade-ready. Anything caught in the Leveled Build just needs a quick touch-up in PKHeX (edit its Met Level) to become trade-ready.
  • Naturally “rarer” species in areas have had their rarity adjusted. Fearow, Yungoos, and friends now occupy the rarer encounter chances. The more unique, fun Pokémon like Mimikyu and Stufful are now as common as a Yungoos or Alolan Rattata would have been.
  • Island Scan Pokémon are available in the wild in the following locations:
    • Chikorita: Route 2
    • Cyndaquil: Route 3
    • Totodile: Seaward Cave
    • Deino: Ten Carat Hill (Cave)
    • Horsea: Kala'e Bay (Surf)
    • Litwick: Hau'oli Cemetery
    • Klink: Hau'oli City (Shopping District)
    • Marill: Brooklet Hill
    • Spheal: Route 7
    • Luxio: Route 8
    • Honedge: Akala Outskirts
    • Venipede: Route 4
    • Bellsprout: Route 5
    • Gothita: Route 6
    • Swinub: Tapu Village
    • Duosion: Route 16
    • Roselia: Ula'ula Meadow
    • Staravia: Route 10
    • Vigoroth: Route 11
    • Axew: Mount Hokulani
    • Rhyhorn: Blush Mountain
    • Conkeldurr: Poni Plains
    • Togekiss: Poni Gauntlet
    • Leavanny: Poni Meadow
    • Serperior: Exeggutor Island
    • Samurott: Poni Wilds
    • Emboar: Ancient Poni Path
    • Eelektross: Poni Grove
  • Certain patches of grass on Melemele Island are optimized to allow painless and early EV training.
  • Wild Hold Items are more common in the following ways:
  • Every species is now capable of holding at least one item in the wild.
  • Every species that has a Mega Evolution in its line is capable of holding its Mega Stone in the wild.
  • Wimpod, Alolan Meowth, and certain other species have been known to hold Bottle Caps and Gold Bottle Caps!
  • The six Power Items are available early on for ease of EV training. They are found 50% of the time attached to the following Wild Pokémon.
  • Grimer (Alola Form) (Power Weight)
  • Growlithe (Power Bracer)
  • Bonsly (Power Belt)
  • Magnemite (Power Lens)
  • Drowzee (Power Band)
  • Yungoos (Power Anklet)
  • Pokémon that evolve through use of a hold item have a chance to hold that item in the wild.
  • Pokémon that need a special Incense to produce certain offspring have a chance to hold that Incense in the wild.
  • The 4 Fossils available in Gen VII are now held by wild Pokémon 50% of the time:
  • Skull Fossil: Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Rufflet, Braviary
  • Armor Fossil: Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o
  • Cover Fossil: Mareanie, Toxapex, Torkoal
  • Plume Fossil: Spearow, Fearow
  • The remaining 7 Fossils are now held by wild Pokémon that only appear in the Expanded Build:
  • Helix Fossil: Slugma, Magcargo
  • Dome Fossil: Yamask, Cofagrigus, Aron, Lairon
  • Old Amber: Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellossom
  • Root Fossil: Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra
  • Claw Fossil: Sandshrew (Standard Form), Sandslash (Standard Form)
  • Jaw Fossil: Poochyena, Mightyena, Croconaw, Feraligatr
  • Sail Fossil: Helioptile, Heliolisk

6DmqbGu.png
dCwibhc.png
zctbNsq.png

cx3Z0Gt.gif
Item Changes
cx3Z0Gt.gif

• Less useless junk in Poké Marts!
  • All Poké Balls and Repels are on sale for 90% off!
  • Sacred Ash available in addition to Revive. Revives cost much more, to discourage their use in battle (Sacred Ash is unusable during battle).
  • Certain healing items cost more, to balance the drastically increased money gain due to higher-level opponents.
  • Competitive consumables are available in standard Poké Marts!
  • Thrifty Megamart is now the go-to place to purchase competitive items like Leftovers and Life Orbs. Don't forget to grab a Discount Coupon at the door!
  • Konikoni's Incense Shop sells the six EV Reduction Berries. Removing unused EVs (SpA on Machamp, etc.) is a great way to passively optimize your team!
  • Full list of Shop Changes.
  • Standard Poké Marts no longer stock Antidote and other single-status relief items or Repels less than the Max Repel.
  • Full Heal, Super Potion, and Sacred Ash are available from the beginning. Sacred Ash functions as a Max Revive for your whole party, but is unusable during battles.
  • Consumable competitive items like Focus Sashes, Weakness Policies, and Sitrus and Lum Berries are available in standard Poké Marts.
  • Premier Ball is now available in Poké Marts.
  • Prices of certain items have been adjusted, sometimes drastically. Only some price changes are listed here.
  • All Apricorn Balls cost P1500. Beast Balls cost P3000.
  • All Vitamins cost P250.
  • Revive now costs P20,000. This is so that using Revives (in the form of Sacred Ash) outside of battle is perfectly fine, but using a Revive in battle to cheese a fight is something with a serious cost attached to it. Hold onto or sell those Revives and Max Revives Hau gives you, they're precious now!
  • Thrifty Megamart sells PP Max and top-tier competitive Hold Items like Leftovers and Life Orb (among others).
  • Route 8's Pokémon Center sells "second-tier" competitive Hold Items like Safety Goggles, Toxic Orb, and King's Rock.
  • Hau'oli City's Pokémon Center sells Apricorn Balls and Beast Balls.
  • Route 2's Pokémon Center sells Sun Stone, Moon Stone, Leaf Stone, and the rest of the Poké Ball types (except Master Ball).
  • Paniola Town's Pokémon Center sells Fire, Thunder, and Water Stones.
  • Konikoni's Jewelry Shop sells Ice, Dusk, Dawn, and Shiny Stones.
  • Konikoni's Herb Shop sells Mental Herbs, Power Herbs, and White Herbs.
  • Konikoni's Incense Shop sells the EV Reduction Berries for dirt cheap! Using these to remove useless EVs (like Attack from a Kadabra) will go a long way to keeping your team ready for the challenge of Nova Sun and Umbra Moon.

zn71OI1.gif
Evolution Changes
r9hIK2q.gif

view spoiler for evolution methods
  • Trade Evolutions now have alternate methods. You can still evolve them through their normal trade methods.
  • Non-Eevee Pokémon that evolve in specific areas now have alternate methods. You can still evolve them through their normal level-up locations.
  • Version-based Evolutions now Evolve using the Sun or Moon Stone.
  • Boldore Evolves into Gigalith: Level up to 42
  • Charjabug Evolves into Vikavolt: Thunder Stone**
  • Clamperl Evolves into Gorebyss: Dawn Stone or level up while holding a Deep Sea Scale
  • Clamperl Evolves into Huntail: Dusk Stone or level up while holding a Deep Sea Tooth
  • Cosmoem Evolves into Solgaleo: Sun Stone*
  • Cosmoem Evolves into Lunala: Moon Stone*
  • Crabrawler Evolves into Crabominable: Ice Stone**
  • Dusclops Evolves into Dusknoir: Level up while holding a Reaper Cloth at night or knowing the move Pursuit
  • Electabuzz Evolves into Electivire: Level up to 45 or while holding an Electirizer
  • Feebas Evolves into Milotic: Level up while holding a Prism Scale or while knowing the move Attract
  • Graveler Evolves into Golem: Level up to 42 or while holding a Hard Stone
  • Graveler-A Evolves into Golem-A: Level up to 42 or while holding a Hard Stone
  • Gurdurr Evolves into Conkeldurr: Level up to 42 or while holding Fightinium Z
  • Haunter Evolves into Gengar: Level up to 36 at night or while holding an Iron Ball
  • Kadabra Evolves into Alakazam: Level up to 38 or while holding a Twisted Spoon
  • Karrablast Evolves into Escavalier: Level up to 35 or while holding a Shed Shell
  • Machoke Evolves into Machamp: Level up to 38 or while holding a Black Belt
  • Magmar Evolves into Magmortar: Level up to 45 or while holding a Magmarizer
  • Magneton Evolves into Magnezone: Level up knowing Magnet Rise or use a Thunder Stone**
  • Nosepass Evolves into Probopass: Level up knowing Discharge
  • Onix Evolves into Steelix: Level up to 40 or while holding a Metal Coat or Steelium Z
  • Phantump Evolves into Trevenant: Level up to 40 or while knowing the move Forest’s Curse
  • Poliwhirl Evolves into Politoed: Level up to 36 or while holding a King’s Rock
  • Porygon Evolves into Porygon2: Level up to 40 or while holding an Up-Grade
  • Porygon2 Evolves into Porygon-Z: Level up while holding a Dubious Disc, level up at Vast Poni Canyon, or level up knowing the move Hyper Beam
  • Pumpkaboo Evolves into Gourgeist: Level up to 40 or while knowing the move Trick-or-Treat
  • Rhydon Evolves into Rhyperior: Level up to 45 or while holding a Protector
  • Rockruff Evolves into Lycanroc-Midday: Level up to 25 during the day on Sun Version or use a Sun Stone*
  • Rockruff Evolves into Lycanroc-Midnight: Level up to 25 at night on Moon Version or Moon Stone*
  • Scyther Evolves into Scizor: Level up to 40 or while holding a Metal Coat or Steelium Z
  • Seadra Evolves into Kingdra: Level up to 42 or while holding a Dragon Scale or Dragonium Z
  • Shelmet Evolves into Accelgor: Level up to 35 while holding a Focus Sash
  • Slowpoke Evolves into Slowking: Use a Shiny Stone or level up or while holding a King’s Rock
  • Spritzee Evolves into Aromatisse: Level up while holding a Sachet or knowing the move Aromatherapy
  • Swirlix Evolves into Slurpuff: Level up while holding a Whipped Dream or knowing the move Aromatherapy
* This Pokémon will be illegal until it reaches its normal Evolution level, at which point it will be 100% legit again.
** This Pokémon will be illegal if it hasn't been leveled up at all before using the Stone; leveling it up will make it 100% legit again (assuming use of the Legit or Lite Builds).

6mUM27U.gif
Other Changes
6mUM27U.gif
  • Custom Title Screens!
  • Eggs now hatch incredibly quickly. Every species now has a 1-cycle hatch rate. Note this doesn't apply to Event eggs or Traded eggs.
  • Switch Mode no longer reveals the incoming Pokémon.
  • An in-game trade for a 6IV Ditto (holding a Destiny Knot) now exists!
  • Learnsets have been adjusted to provide better access to moves, particularly in Expanded and Leveled Builds. Species no longer "miss out" on moves because they were encountered at a high level, and most "Level 1" moves have been added to the standard level-up learnset. All Pokémon movesets remain 100% legal. Only moves in the Level-up learnset have been adjusted.
  • New, improved Pickup tables!
  • All species can now SOS call.
  • Custom Banner and Icon for .cia installs!

Oyisz3E.gif
Notes
Oyisz3E.gif
  • If you haven't done so already, please purchase Pokémon Sun or Moon! They're excellent games and if you enjoy them (or this mod), Game Freak deserves your money.
  • The GARC file that contains Sun and Moon's Encounter Data is 330MB. Unfortunately, that means that distribution packs for this mod (aside from Lite Builds) are quite large (160MB to 460MB thanks to .7z compression) and will take quite a while to download.
  • If you're running this with HANS or using the Drag & Drop pack, it will use your regular Sun/Moon save file. To back up your original save file on a Homebrew or CFW setup, use JKSM.
  • You cannot install a CIA of Nova Sun alongside a CIA/eShop copy of Sun. The same restriction applies for (Umbra) Moon.
  • This mod is capable of multiplayer. With the Drag & Drop package, it's capable of online multiplayer. Desyncs may occur in certain online battle situations. It's best to avoid using Game Sync while using any Sun / Moon mods.
  • Since this mod makes no changes to save file structure, it works perfectly fine with Pokémon Bank.
  • Text has been edited for the English language only.
  • Any Sun/Moon code.bin patches for v1.2 of Sun/Moon will work with the Drag & Drop versions of the mod. If you want to use extra code.bin patches on the .3DS or .CIA versions of the mod, make sure you're using patches designed for Sun/Moon v1.0. Do not apply a SaltySD patch to the Drag & Drop package of this mod, it will cause the mod's files to not be loaded. To add additional mods to Nova Sun & Umbra Moon, place them in the appropriate folder within SD:\luma\titles.
  • This is NOT designed for Nuzlocke play. I don't believe a Nuzlocke of this game will be possible, let alone an enjoyable game experience.

HuGk2eq.gif
Limitations
HuGk2eq.gif
  • Unlike in RR/SS, I cannot add Triple, Rotation, and Horde Battles to the world. I also cannot turn Single Battle trainers into Double Battle ones.
  • Enemy Trainers cannot use unique Z-Moves like Extreme Evoboost or Malicious Moonsault.
  • Certain battles won't force you to black out if you lose, instead progressing the story the same as if you won. I can't change this function.
  • Island Scan Pokémon normally cannot SOS or be SOS'd, so to preserve legality in NS/UM when encountered without Island Scan they simply SOS for normal Pokémon that are in their area's encounter table. In the Expanded Build, they can be SOS'd like any other Pokémon.
  • Sun and Moon's event scripts cannot currently be modified. This means that I cannot make cutscenes shorter or skippable.
  • The ability to use Mega Evolution is independent of the "Key Stone" item and is only set by triggering a flag in the save file after the battle with Dexio on Poni Island. This means that Mega Evolution is not accessible throughout gameplay unless save editing tools are used.
7a2aTcz.gif
Installation Instructions
7a2aTcz.gif

Luma3DS 7.0+ Drag & Drop Installation (CFW) (Recommended Method)
Requirements: N3DS/3DS/2DS with Luma3DS CFW (7.0+), Pokémon Sun or Moon (Cartridge or eShop)
  • If you have previously used the SaltySD packs of Nova Sun or Umbra Moon (v1.4 or below), or any other SaltySD hacks, read this post and follow the instructions to delete the old version before updating the hack to v1.5+.
  • You need to be on Luma3DS v7.0 or later. All 3DS models on firmware versions 11.3 or lower can install CFW using this guide with no additional purchases/hardware/games necessary.
  • Update Pokémon Sun or Moon to Version 1.2 if you haven't already done so. If your 3DS is on a firmware verson 11.3 or lower, use ctr-httpwn to bypass the System Update requirement and install the Sun/Moon update.
  • Download and unzip the Drag & Drop pack for the Version and Build you want to play.
  • If your language isn't English, run the NonEnglish.bat file.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the Drag & Drop pack directly to the root of your 3DS's SD card. Merge and overwrite if prompted.
  • Hold SELECT when booting Luma3DS (this is when you turn on the 3DS if you're using B9S/A9LH)
  • Enable the option "Enable Game Patching" and press START to save. This is a persistent option, you don't have to do it every time you want to play NS/UM.
  • Boot up your cartridge or eShop copy of Pokémon Sun or Moon and the romhack's modifications should be present!
  • Back up your game save with JKSM, start a fresh save file, and enjoy the mod!
.CIA/.3DS Installation (CFW)
Requirements: N3DS/3DS/2DS with Luma3DS CFW, Decrypt9WIP and FBI installed, Pokémon Sun or Moon (Cartridge or eShop)
  • You need a 3DS running Luma3DS CFW. All 3DS models on firmware versions 11.3 or lower can install CFW using this guide with no additional purchases/hardware/games necessary.
  • Installed Pokémon Sun / Moon updates will cause conflicts with the Nova Sun / Umbra Moon mod. Uninstall any Sun / Moon updates before using a CIA or .3DS build of Nova Sun / Umbra Moon.
  • Download the Pokémon Nova Sun Distribution Pack or Pokémon Umbra Moon Distribution Pack. Copy all of the files from the .7z to a folder on your PC.
  • Dump and decrypt your cartridge or eShop copy of Pokémon Sun or Moon (Must match the version of the romhack) using Decrypt9WIP.
  • Place your decrypted .3ds or .cia file in the same folder as "setup.bat".
  • Run "setup.bat".
  • Enter Y to extract the decrypted ROM.
  • Select which Encounter Build you would like to use. If you enter an invalid build or leave this blank, your wild encounters will be unmodified.
  • Enter Y if you would like to randomize anything in your game. After randomizing, exit PK3DS. If you don't want to randomize, enter N. It is recommended that you use the Leveled or Expanded builds as a base for randomization of Wild Pokémon.
  • Select which file format you would like to rebuild as.
  • If you rebuilt as CIA, copy the new .CIA file to your SD card and install it with FBI. Back up your save first, installing the modified CIA will overwrite your save!
  • If you rebuilt as .3DS for Citra, open the .3DS file in a hex editor, search for hex values 01 01 80 E0 04 20 80 E5 1E FF 2F E1 and change to 01 01 80 E0 00 F0 20 E3 1E FF 2F E1. This will remove the outline effect.
  • If you rebuilt as .3DS for Gateway, your ROM needs to be re-encrypted. Copy the resulting .3DS file to your SD Card, and use Decrypt9WIP to run "CXI Encrypter". After re-encrypting your .3DS file, copy it to your Gateway MicroSD. Sky3DS cannot run romhacks.

HANS Installation (Homebrew Launcher, no CFW) (Not Recommended)
Requirements: NEW 3DS with a way to launch Homebrew Launcher, Pokémon Sun or Moon (Cartridge or eShop)
  • Because of HANS's limitations, it is recommended you instead install CFW on your 3DS instead of using this method. All 3DS models on firmware versions 11.3 or lower can install CFW using this guide with no additional purchases/hardware/games necessary.
  • NOTE: Pokémon Sun and Moon run in Extended Memory Mode on Old 3DS systems. HANS uses memory that is overwritten by Extended Memory Mode. Therefore, players need to have a New 3DS to run this hack through HANS.
  • NOTE: Poké Mart data is stored in a .cro file. Without custom firmware, the 3DS will crash when attempting to use edited .cro files. Therefore, players that only have the Homebrew Launcher will not get the Poké Mart changes in Nova Sun and Umbra Moon.
  • Download the Pokémon Nova Sun Distribution Pack or Pokémon Umbra Moon Distribution Pack. Copy all of the files from the .7z to a folder on your PC.
  • Copy all the files from the Hans_Built folder to the root of your 3DS SD Card.
  • Launch the Homebrew Launcher and dump your game using the included Braindump.
  • Copy the romfs.bin file to the folder you extracted the Distribution Pack to. Make sure this file is named "romfs.bin" without the quotes.
  • If you get .cxi files from Braindump, delete Braindump from your SD Card and use the version distributed with NS/UM.
  • Run "setup.bat".
  • Enter N to "Is your ROM dumped and decrypted?"
  • Enter Y to "Do you have a romfs.bin file generated by Braindump?"
  • Select which Encounter Build you would like to use. If you enter an invalid build or leave this blank, your wild encounters will be unmodified.
  • Enter Y if you would like to randomize anything in your game. After randomizing, exit PK3DS. If you don't want to randomize, enter N. It is recommended that you use the Leveled or Expanded builds as a base for randomization of Wild Pokémon.
  • If you chose to randomize, use PK3DS to randomize whatever you like now. Close PK3DS when done.
  • Copy the contents of the Hans_Built folder to the root of your SD card, then launch the hack from the Homebrew Launcher.
  • Back up your game save with JKSM, start a fresh save file, and enjoy the mod!

hZ8CYTz.gif
Special Thanks
hZ8CYTz.gif
  • Kaphotics: for creating the stellar PK3DS.
  • SciresM: For making everything possible and coding the tools that form the base of PK3DS.
  • evandixon: For 3DSDotNetToolkit.
  • smealum: For HANS, making piracy and specialized hardware unnecessary to run ROMhacks.
  • shinyquagsire23: For SaltySD, making installation a snap on CFW systems and further bypassing the need for a pirated game install. This mod no longer uses SaltySD, but it was instrumental in creation and distribution until Luma3DS's Layered FS feature improved.
  • Aurora Wright: For Luma3DS, especially Luma3DS 7.0+ LayeredFS. This is the ultimate form of "simple installation with no piracy required"!
  • neobrain: For Braindump.
  • dnasdw: For 3dstool.
  • WolfLord: My dedicated beta tester, without her help this mod would be much more broken and much less fun.
  • Nintendo/GAME FREAK: For making a game series I've been devoted to for my entire life.

q5IHrOj.gif
Let's Plays
q5IHrOj.gif

Message me if you're doing a YouTube playthrough of these ROMs! I'll feature you in this section.
The first six complete Let's Plays will have their team immortalized in a post-game Trainer on Poni Island!
Addition to the romhack pending approval. No inappropriate or blatantly "Internet Alias / Channel Promotion" Trainer names. Must also complete the postgame content on Poni Island.
PRbugRA.gif
Change Log
PRbugRA.gif

Current Version: v1.7
(5/31/2017)​
  • Adjusted price of some healing items.
  • Fixed one of Hiker Thomas' Pokémon using the moveset of a different Pokémon.
  • Minor Trainer changes
  • Minor text changes
Version 1.6 (5/19/2017)
  • Fixed Electabuzz's Electirizer Evolution method.
  • Expanded Builds: Ferroseed moved to Lush Jungle.
  • Expanded Builds: Cherubi moved to Melemele Meadow.
  • Expanded Builds: Fletchling in Wela Volcano Park are now encountered as Fletchinder.
  • The Lv40 Aerodactyl received in the Seafolk Village now comes with Aerodactylite attached.
  • Adjusted Ferroseed's Level Up moveset to better accommodate its later encounter level.
  • Adjusted Ferrothorn's Level Up moveset to better accomodate Ferroseed's later encounter level.
  • Minor changes to some Level Up movesets
  • Minor text changes

Version 1.5 (5/17/2017)
  • Implemented new and improved Pickup tables.
  • SaltySD Packs: Renamed to Drag & Drop Packs, SaltySD code.bin no longer included (SaltySD is incompatible with Sun/Moon v1.2 and Luma3DS 7.0+'s LayeredFS handles everything this mod needs)
  • Drag & Drop Packs: rebuilt Shop.cro to function with Sun/Moon v1.2. Sun/Moon v1.2 is required to run Nova Sun & Umbra Moon v1.5.
  • Added an in-game Trainer to commemmorate Sebastián Contreras' complete Let's Play!
  • Minor Trainer changes
  • Minor text changes

Version 1.4 (3/21/2017)
  • Major Update! Adjusted learnsets of every Pokémon to better work with Expanded and Leveled Builds! Useful moves before capture level are now learned later (in addition to their normal learn levels).
  • Most "Level 1" moves have been made available via level-up.
  • Increased Level of some Totems
  • Minor Trainer changes
  • Fixed a minor text error
  • Expanded Builds: Fixed a grass patch that had Level 6 as its minimum encounter level instead of Level 46
  • Expanded Builds: Fixed Hippopotas availability in the Haina Desert
  • Expanded Builds: Elemental Monkeys can now SOS call the Monkey they are weak to
  • Expanded Builds: Makuhita is now available on Route 2
  • Expanded Builds: Togepi is now available on Route 3
  • Expanded Builds: Riolu is now available on Route 10
  • Expanded Builds: Houndour is now available at Memorial Hill
  • Expanded Builds: Pumpkaboo can now SOS for its other sizes
  • SaltySD Packs: Fixed Max Repel availability after completing six Trials
  • Distribution Packs: Fixed Umbra Moon including a default Shop.cro file
  • Distribution Packs: Removed unnecessary code.bin file from Distribution Packs

Version 1.3 (3/12/2017)
  • Minor Trainer changes
  • Feebas no longer requires a Trade to Evolve into Milotic: It now evolves when leveled up holding a Prism Scale or while knowing the move Attract
  • Fixed Kadabra's Twisted Spoon Evolution method
  • Fixed Dusclops's Reaper Cloth at night Evolution method
  • Fixed Graveler (Non-Alola)'s Level Up Evolution method
  • Fixed Nosepass's Discharge Evolution method
  • Expanded Builds: Fixed Nidoran (both genders) availability in Ten Carat Hill (Cave)

Version 1.2 (3/8/2017)
  • SaltySD Packs: Fixed a bug where Konikoni Jewelry Shop sold Dusk Balls instead of Dusk Stones
  • Distribution Packs: Fixed a bug where Distribution Packs contained unmodded Shop.cro files (Poké Mart Data)

Version 1.1 (3/7/2017)
  • Major Update! Modified call rate for all non-native Pokémon + some natives, all species should now be capable of calling for help (only notable in randomizers and Expanded Build)
  • Minor Trainer changes
  • Expanded Builds: Moved Rotom to the Thrifty Megamart Abandoned Site
  • Expanded Builds: Moved Espurr to Route 1 (By Kukui's Lab)
  • Added Luma Nightly/Dev compatible SaltySD .bin file locations + Updated instructions for SaltySD users
  • Fixed Non-English Title Screen generation batch file
  • The Umbra Moon Distribution Pack no longer has Nova Sun's Banner/Icon files
  • Lowered file size of Distribution Packs by removing redundant Title Intro .moflex files and modifying the Setup batch to create copies of these files for the user

Version 1.0 (2/25/2017)
  • Initial Release!

Oyisz3E.gif
Downloads
Oyisz3E.gif

Download Here!

.7z files can be extracted with 7-Zip.

This 100% free project took over 375 hours of work (plus 40 hours of testing!) to complete, and while it was a labor of love, I won't turn you down if you want to buy me a beer. Or a pizza.

Pokémon, Pokémon Sun, Pokémon Moon, the Pokémon logo, and all other related content are intellectual property of GAME FREAK, Creatures Inc, The Pokémon Company, and Nintendo.
This project is a free modification that requires an existing copy of Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon to function. It does not require, endorse, or encourage piracy of Nintendo or GAME FREAK content. If you want to play this mod, please purchase Pokémon Sun or Moon.

When Pokémon Ultra Sun & Pokémon Ultra Moon release this November, I intend to give them the full ROM hack treatment with Supernova Sun & Penumbra Moon!
OscZfBq.png
dpv8anL.png

So you're naming the sequel to umbra moon after the much weaker part of a shadow? Sounds like a bad omen...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1