ROM Hack Pokémon Nova Sun & Umbra Moon: Fully-featured, challenging Sun/Moon ROMhacks!

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is amazing! I signed up to the forum just to say thanks to you for putting in so much work.

I've stopped playing Pokémon because it was too easy and too much grinding, but I will try the Nova Sun version instead.

One question - will there be any confusion if I play this mod in a different language to English, for example, Japanese where the text isn't modified?
There will be minor inconsistencies if you play in non-English. For example, many Trainers proclaim their love for a Pokémon and don't have that Pokémon anymore. If you're competent in English, I strongly recommend you play the game in English.

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can't be because you can't catch a pokemon from different version on your version.
Thanks for the reply! What i meant was an expanded build with all pokemon in it, minus the level modification to the pokemon.

Nonetheless, this is fantastic work! Keep it up! :D

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey all, is there anyway to use the SuMo cheat menu with this hack? I tried to use it just now and the game froze on me.
Just put an update out to address this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dio, I have a little question. I still use SaltySD because I completed the game and mainly just use Nova Sun for Shiny hunting. However, the LayeredFS version doesn't work with NTR cheats, at least in my experience. When the code.bin patches get updated for 1.2, could you re-add a SaltySD version?
Try my newest version, v0.6.1.

Icy_Dove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question about this. Would someone mind helping me with the Drag & Drop method? I did everything implied (Copied everything in the Umbra_Moon_Expanded.7z file, including NonEnglish.bat even though I'm using English) and when I launch up Moon, I get a pale blue screen, and then the system just reboots, but I don't know how to fix this.

Icy_Dove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question about this. Would someone mind helping me with the Drag & Drop method? I did everything implied (Copied everything in the Umbra_Moon_Expanded.7z file, including NonEnglish.bat even though I'm using English) and when I launch up Moon, I get a pale blue screen, and then the system just reboots, but I don't know how to fix this.
Nevermind, I did some fiddling around and fixed it

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THANK you, everyone keeps asking about this and I don't even use the NTR cheat menu.
Yeah, I keep getting asked too, lol. Turns out it has nothing to do with your mod but with LayeredFS in general, so the real person they should all be asking is AuroraWright.

BroganXD

Trophies
XP
Country
Downloaded it and it works Great :D thanks.. also the trailer for it had No Outlines, mine has outlines, is 'no outlines' apart of it or just for show.. also can i add no outlines myself.

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downloaded it and it works Great :D thanks.. also the trailer for it had No Outlines, mine has outlines, is 'no outlines' apart of it or just for show.. also can i add no outlines myself.
Use the 1.2 no outlines code.ips patch, or if you're building for Citra (as I did for the trailer) just follow the instructions carefully.

Dunkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! This looks fantastic! I had no idea that this is exactly what ive been looking for. Unfortunately ive never modded a 3ds game before. Does anyone have any straight forward instructions (maybe youtube) that i could follow to install the programs i need? It just seems pretty complicated. Also i am definitely down to donate a good amount for this mod it seems very well done!

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! This looks fantastic! I had no idea that this is exactly what ive been looking for. Unfortunately ive never modded a 3ds game before. Does anyone have any straight forward instructions (maybe youtube) that i could follow to install the programs i need? It just seems pretty complicated. Also i am definitely down to donate a good amount for this mod it seems very well done!
Assuming you're on a firmware version 11.3 or lower, just follow The Guide to the letter (use Homebrew Launcher - Soundhax). Once you're done with that process, simply follow the instructions for the Drag & Drop pack of Nova Sun / Umbra Moon in this thread! The mod will load over your real copy of Sun or Moon.

Any video-based guides for hacking your 3DS are outdated and install arm9loaderhax instead of boot9strap, which takes longer to install and is a riskier and more complex process. Follow the text-based guide instead.

Last edited by Dio Vento,

xscaralienx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I downloaded umbra moon leveled drag&drop zip and I have Moon on 1.2.
I merged the luma folder that comes with the zip with the one on my sd card and I enabled the game patching options on Luma Config screen.

I have 11.4 with boot9strap and all I get is a black screen when I try to load Moon. Any idea what it might be?

EDIT

Well shit, I changed the file transfer from auto to binary on my ftp client. Just like the quoted posted fixed it.

Yes, I am using A9LH. Also, I solved it. I had my ftp client set on auto sense file transfer type. Once I set it to binary all the files transferred just fine. I guess I had that option already set on my laptop which I used for my friend's 3DS.

Last edited by xscaralienx,

ultros7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Finally took the time to start this. Loved your RR/SS hacks.

I have one problem though. I played the Legit Build of Rutile Ruby and had no problems keeping up with the level curve, so I thought it would be the same here, so I started the Legit Build and early on I'm already having trouble keeping up with even route trainers, they seem to outlevel me by quite a bit outside my starter, and replacing my weak Pokemon seem out of the question considering there is not a good source of exp like there was in RR (Vs Seeker/Horde Battles/gen 4 exp formula in general).

Is the level curve just not balanced at all for the legit build? Should I just switch to Leveled and then go through the massive pain of editing my boxes manually later?
So far it seems the legit build is not balanced well, so I guess the recommendation in the OP is no joke lol

Also if I do switch, can I keep my save? I'm using the luma patching method so I assume it's just a matter of deleting my files and pasting the leveled ones right?

Thanks for the hard work.

Dio Vento

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally took the time to start this. Loved your RR/SS hacks.

I have one problem though. I played the Legit Build of Rutile Ruby and had no problems keeping up with the level curve, so I thought it would be the same here, so I started the Legit Build and early on I'm already having trouble keeping up with even route trainers, they seem to outlevel me by quite a bit outside my starter, and replacing my weak Pokemon seem out of the question considering there is not a good source of exp like there was in RR (Vs Seeker/Horde Battles/gen 4 exp formula in general).

Is the level curve just not balanced at all for the legit build? Should I just switch to Leveled and then go through the massive pain of editing my boxes manually later?
So far it seems the legit build is not balanced well, so I guess the recommendation in the OP is no joke lol

Also if I do switch, can I keep my save? I'm using the luma patching method so I assume it's just a matter of deleting my files and pasting the leveled ones right?

Thanks for the hard work.
The Legit build mostly exists for post-game players who want to use NS/UM as a quicker way to prepare competitive teams (or players who have teams of Eggs they want to use). The Leveled Build is what the game is balanced for. Switching is quite easy, just drag and drop the Leveled Drag & Drop pack over your existing 3DS SD card and overwrite files. Your save will remain intact.

On balance:

• Lite: Hardest and most grindy balance, since wild encounters are unaltered.
  • Legit: Better access to rare and unique Pokémon like Mimikyu and Dhelmise, but Wild Pokémon are still drastically underleveled compared to Trainers.
  • Leveled: What the game was balanced around. Good access to the rarer species, level curve matches the Trainer level curve.
  • Expanded: Same level curve as Leveled, but probably an easier run due to more choices and stronger Pokémon available early on.

Last edited by Dio Vento,
Reactions: ultros7

Dunkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you're on a firmware version 11.3 or lower, just follow The Guide to the letter (use Homebrew Launcher - Soundhax). Once you're done with that process, simply follow the instructions for the Drag & Drop pack of Nova Sun / Umbra Moon in this thread! The mod will load over your real copy of Sun or Moon.

Any video-based guides for hacking your 3DS are outdated and install arm9loaderhax instead of boot9strap, which takes longer to install and is a riskier and more complex process. Follow the text-based guide instead.
Alrifht thanks! I will do my best to follow along. Thank you for making this!

ultros7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Yeah, makes sense. I'll switch to the legit build when I beat the game.

Just switched correctly to Leveled. Now even wild Pokemon are kicking my ass lol, though this will be short lived thanks to the exp formula so things will balance out soon enough, still on route 2.

Dunkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if im on 11.4 do i use the hardmod one or dsiware?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.