Pokemon Masters gets new information, shows off 3v3 battles and gameplay

After promising more information on the game, The Pokemon Company has uploaded an eight-minute trailer for the next Pokemon mobile game. Half of the video's runtime is dedicated to an anime short featuring many of the series' main characters, gym leaders, and champions. The concept for Pokemon Masters comes from Game Freak veteran Ken Sugimori, who wanted to make a game where you befriend not only Pokemon, but trainers as well. You'll be trying to make your way to the Pokemon Master's League, by teaming up with Pokemon trainers to fight in 3v3 battles. The gameplay is not turn-based, but instead allows players to attack as soon as their move gauge fills. Typical Pokemon moves are shown, like Energy Ball and Astonish, but there are also Sync Moves, which are similar in execution to Z-moves, and trainers have their own abilities, which can be used to heal or buff your team.

3IqTkwt.jpg

Pokemon Masters will be out in summer of 2019, worldwide.

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had a simmilar idea:
Big adventure style Pokémon Game with open World to explore (think: BotW) and free roaming Pokémon (that you still have to battle and catch) for the Switch while Smartphones get a more "traditional" Pokémon game.

this way, GameFreak can still put out a Game where you have *all* your Pokémon while the Switch gets a experience that is still close to the mainline Series, might not have *all* Pokémon (because, you know, animation quality and balancing...) but can expand the scope of what Pokémon could be *without* killing the old Fanbase.

That would require logical thinking from Gamefreaks or outside preassure from e.g. Nintendo.

Since Pokémon sells just by it's name there won't be any preassure from Nintendo, except maybe if Sword&Shield fail horribly.
And we all know that GameFreak on it's own is way to lazy. Otherwise Sword&Shield would have all Pokemon and use battle animations that are more like the GCN games (Pokémon Colloseum 1+2).
Seriously, while I did not like the game, the animation quality during fights is miles better. Pokémon actually HIT each other instead of just looking at each other, jumping in the air (Double Kick anyone?) and doing damage in some magical way...

:(

Last edited by Kadji,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure if I like the look of the battle system, but it would work for an MMO style Pokémon game for sure. Actually it would be nice if Pokémon Go used something like that, instead of just tapping the screen and swiping until your good attack is charged.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a simmilar idea:
Big adventure style Pokémon Game with open World to explore (think: BotW) and free roaming Pokémon (that you still have to battle and catch) for the Switch while Smartphones get a more "traditional" Pokémon game.

this way, GameFreak can still put out a Game where you have *all* your Pokémon while the Switch gets a experience that is still close to the mainline Series, might not have *all* Pokémon (because, you know, animation quality and balancing...) but can expand the scope of what Pokémon could be *without* killing the old Fanbase.

That would require logical thinking from Gamefreaks or outside preassure from e.g. Nintendo.

Since Pokémon sells just by it's name there won't be any preassure from Nintendo, except maybe if Sword&Shield fail horribly.
And we all know that GameFreak on it's own is way to lazy. Otherwise Sword&Shield would have all Pokemon and use battle animations that are more like the GCN games (Pokémon Colloseum 1+2).
Seriously, while I did not like the game, the animation quality during fights is miles better. Pokémon actually HIT each other instead of just looking at each other, jumping in the air (Double Kick anyone?) and doing damage in some magical way...

Smart phone games don't sell well

There is no market for traditional smart phone games

I play every Pokemon game that releases, and I don't want to play on my phone and probably wouldn't play it on my phone

Then you have to consider they would have to sell the game for considerably less than console retail, maybe $15?

No one is going to pay 40-60 for an app

That's the reality of mobile gaming - it is trash and it is doomed to be trash because there is no market for anything else

D

Deleted User

Smart phone games don't sell well

There is no market for traditional smart phone games

I play every Pokemon game that releases, and I don't want to play on my phone and probably wouldn't play it on my phone

Then you have to consider they would have to sell the game for considerably less than console retail, maybe $15?

No one is going to pay 40-60 for an app

That's the reality of mobile gaming - it is trash and it is doomed to be trash because there is no market for anything else
Yeah, i agree to this

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ah, that makes me wish they would focus the mainline games when it comes to older gens more on all the generations(they really got that one right, for this mobile game) and not mostly gen 1.

Atleast from what they've shown the Pokemon from older gens in SwSh aren't the worst pick(nevertheless the national Pokedex has to come back).

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the sync moves will be like the fertilizer in pvz2.
They have to make some weird-ass decisions to add microtransactions anyway.
The character models with the iconic poses look really cool, but this game will be bad regardless so I will better ignore it to not be disappointed in the end.
A story mode sounds really stupid to me as well when the people around you can get swapped out at your will and your enemies are vaguely cohesive groups as well.

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, that makes me wish they would focus the mainline games when it comes to older gens more on all the generations(they really got that one right, for this mobile game) and not mostly gen 1.

Atleast from what they've shown the Pokemon from older gens in SwSh aren't the worst pick(nevertheless the national Pokedex has to come back).
Pokemon Masters in 5 years

"Due to there being too many pokemon trainers, not all trainers will be available in Pokemon Masters - we had to increase model Fidelity and animations for the next generation of smart phones"

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I had a simmilar idea:

I don't hate the fact that gamefreak is not putting all the Pokemon into every Pokemon game from here out. Thinking long term, it's the only way to keep the games reasonable to develop. What happens when you have 2000 pokemon on the next generation game? They're going to be forced to remodel all the pokemon again, bug test them all, animate every single attack, bug test those too, etc. It's an insane amount of work for even a single game, and it just makes it entirely unfeasible in the long run. You also have all the other tag-a-longs on the pokemon too, such has badge history, ribbon history, and whatever else they've bothered adding to pokemon metadata. Keeping trading going between games is just not feasible. Frankly it's a miracle they've done it this far and didn't abandon the idea when the games switched to 3D.

Honestly though, I can't blame anyone upset about the debacle because game freak hasn't released an all in one merger metagame where you can have every pokemon and a near infinite amount of them as well. The pokemon bank works fine, but it lacks the ability to have battling. They don't need anything else. It's a service attached to your NNID, so it's forward moving, and this means that whenever they release a new pokemon game, they just update the neobank with all the data for compatibility.

I honestly think they're going to end up doing it eventually. It would be a good business move too. It turns pokemon from being a line of games into a platform where you buy the games to get access to that region's pokemon for the central battle arena. Hmmm, central battle arena, what would be a good name for such a service? Maybe Pokemon Colosseum? :gun:

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What happens when you have 2000 pokemon on the next generation game?

How about stop making them?
The game been milked enough as it is and many fans stopped caring a long time ago (including myself, pokemon moon/sun was the final game i played, not finished, PLAYED. the pokemon were garbage, the "story" was shit and everything needs to be happy go lucky)

If they cannot put the creatures in their games, then do either a hard reset (all previous pokemon disregarded, not some) or only have version exclusive pokemon for each game (and no older pokemon are present)

Otherwise this franchise is dead before long, especially how they treat their fans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: