Pokemon Journeys: The Series heads to Netflix as an exclusive

The incredibly long-running Pokemon anime is moving to Netflix as an exclusive in the United States. The first episode of the western release, titled Pokemon Journeys: The Series will debut on June 12th, featuring 12 full episodes of the season, with more to be added "quarterly" throughout the airing season. In Journeys, Ash and his new traveling companion will have adventures all across the various regions of the Pokemon world. In the UK, the series will be available on POP.

Today, The Pokémon Company International and Netflix announced that upcoming seasons of the iconic Pokémon animated series will premiere exclusively on Netflix in the U.S. The partnership kicks off with the launch of the first 12 episodes of the new 23rd season of the series on June 12, 2020. Additional new episodes of “Pokémon Journeys: The Series” will be added quarterly on Netflix for the duration of the season.

“With their tremendous reach and ability for fans to enjoy content anytime and anywhere, Netflix is the ideal partner to premiere new episodes of the beloved animated Pokémon series in the U.S.,” said Emily Arons, senior vice president of international business at The Pokémon Company International. “We can’t wait for Pokémon fans of all ages to continue discovering the spirit of adventure and friendship in ‘Pokémon Journeys: The Series,’ our newest season coming to Netflix this June.”

In celebration of this announcement, The Pokémon Company International and Netflix also unveiled the first international trailer and details for “Pokémon Journeys: The Series” today. Fans can look forward to an all-new narrative following Ash and his partner Pikachu as they embark on adventures across multiple regions in the Pokémon world, meeting new characters and discovering more Pokémon along the way.

“Pokémon Journeys: The Series” Synopsis:
Pokémon Trainer Ash Ketchum has a new plan: see the world! But first, he and his partner Pikachu are headed to the opening of the Cerise Laboratory, a research facility dedicated to uncovering the mysteries of Pokémon in every region. Ash meets Goh, another boy with boundless curiosity about Pokémon, and both are overjoyed when Professor Cerise asks them to become official research fellows. With Ash as determined as ever to become a Pokémon Master, and Goh aiming to catch one of every Pokémon (including the Mythical Mew), our heroes are in for adventure and excitement as they explore the wide world of Pokémon!

“Pokémon Journeys: The Series” will also feature a new theme song written and performed by the band Walk off the Earth. Fans can view a new trailer for the upcoming season and hear part of the new theme song on the official Pokémon YouTube channel.

Prior to June 12, fans can enjoy a wide selection of past Pokémon seasons already on Netflix, in addition to the most recent animated Pokémon movie, “Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution,” which debuted globally on Netflix this past February.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would find it interesting to see a new series with completely new characters and stories. But set in the same world, and who knows, maybe they'll run into Ash and the already known characters sometime, but to have a fresh start. Let Ash be "the very best" lol.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I want the Pokemon Adventures manga series to be animated. I know it'd never happen, but I think that'd be an insane anime series that people would actually love to see.

Reactions: osaka35

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would find it interesting to see a new series with completely new characters and stories. But set in the same world, and who knows, maybe they'll run into Ash and the already known characters sometime, but to have a fresh start. Let Ash be "the very best" lol.
Kinda Ash's goal for this season. After hitting League Champ in Alola he's basically now participating in a sort of tournament on a World level with a ranking system and everything. Seems they're posing Leon (Sw&Sh) as the absolute best of the best in the world, ranked top. So after beating Leon... Ash really is the very best.

Reactions: Issac

GbaNober

Trophies
XP
Country
Ash Friends has already set their own paths,I bet Brock is already settled down
while ash is still in the state of chilly kiddie adventure that never end$

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly haven't ever been caught up on the Pokemon anime. Master quest was as I far as I'd gotten but I usually tap somewhere in orange islands. I don't mind the move to Netflix, but I'm wondering if this will effect the writing to make it more binge-able.

And it would be cool to see them do a more mature series following Red (or each gens respective protagonist) with a whole arc focusing on the grittier side of Pokemon. Kind of akin to Generations but a little darker. Show Team Rocket holding Silph co at gunpoint to get the masterball, have Red investigate and try to shut down the black market with stolen Pokemon and slowpoke tails. Would never happen but would be cool.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
God I can't take it anymore with these pokemon shows, they're all the same for crying out loud. Just please, give us some new main characters.
Even if I like pokemon, I can't wait for the day the franchise dies (witch is probably going to be in 8 or 9 years, hopefully)

You don't have to watch it. I've not watched the anime since the Orange Islands, which is what 20 years ago now?

Regardless I still enjoy the core games, no need to be totally invested in every little bit of the franchise.

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would find it interesting to see a new series with completely new characters and stories, but in the same world, maybe set after Ash has become "the very best." They can encounter old characters, without focusing on them.
That sounds interesting. They also wouldn't have to retcon/ignore the events of half of the movies they've released over the years.

I didn't care about Pokemon before about 2014 (weird, I know), and I still felt a strong sense of deja vu from the description. The only thing that stood out as new was being Netflix exclusive, which isn't part of the story.

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should be interesting as I'm someone who returned to the anime for Sun/Moon.

I stopped watching back in Hoenn shortly after the Thunder Armor episode. I was impressed with how much better the show was than all 4 Gen 7 games put together. I actually thought I was in a parallel universe or something.

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda Ash's goal for this season. After hitting League Champ in Alola he's basically now participating in a sort of tournament on a World level with a ranking system and everything. Seems they're posing Leon (Sw&Sh) as the absolute best of the best in the world, ranked top. So after beating Leon... Ash really is the very best.

Yep. His new goal now is simply to be the best trainer out there now. He will most likely beat Leon this time and not lose hopefully but we've been fooled before. In my eyes, he is a Pokemon master now. Beyond that, the anime mostly is just run of the mill filler when he's not doing his thing.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. His new goal now is simply to be the best trainer out there now. He will most likely beat Leon this time and not lose hopefully but we've been fooled before. In my eyes, he is a Pokemon master now. Beyond that, the anime mostly is just run of the mill filler when he's not doing his thing.

We never get clear specification what a "pokemon master" is to be fair. Champion isn't a Master. He isn't exactly hunting every Pokemon. It's an arbitrary Role he has designated for what he wishes to be.

But what we can be certain is this season should finally explain some of his goals.

Reactions: JavaScribe

call me Ken or Accel

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
80% of the people here never watched SunMoon or this anime (its already airing in Japan. West getting it late, as usual). SunMoon and this specificly are very different from previous seasons (I watched all of them, yep. All +100 episodes of each seasons)
As a person who grown up with the games and animes, SunMoon and this season are very refreshing. The same feeling when BlackWhite was released

This new season is very episodic. They go to different places in different regions each episode

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Am I the only one infuriated by this? Am I the only one who doesn't like Netflix? All my friends say I am.

Not you like it's mandatory to have Netflix to watch your shows, the ar' matey side of the internet can lead to abilities some would consider unlegal...

Last edited by Idaho,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/2UeWMgjwogU?si=PfULn0Jf4XpnU6M_ Now I know how to install m.2