Pokemon Home launches next month, will have free and premium tiers, brings back the GTS

original_d1e9c4dac0f337671b8e43b11651443c.jpg

p06_02.jpg p07_04.jpg p08_01.jpg p08_02.jpg p08_06.jpg

We've got new details regarding the Pokemon Home service, which will allow players to transfer some of their favorite Pokemon to the latest games. The service is set to launch next month, in February 2020, with both a free and a paid plan available. For free, players can deposit 30 Pokemon, have three creatures in the Wonder Box at once, and can participate in "room trades". The premium version of Pokemon Home will cost $15.99 a year, and will expand upon the features of the basic plan, such as raising the limit of maximum deposited Pokemon from 30 to 6,000, having 10 Pokemon in the Wonder Box at once, being able to use Pokemon Bank, and giving access to the Judge function, which lets you see your Pokemon's EV's and IV's at a glance.

Pokemon Bank, a service that also previously required a yearly payment, will be made free for a month, to celebrate the launch of Pokemon Home, and made it easier for premium players to import their Pokemon into the new program.

GFHjYbj.png

The Wonder Box is a feature that acts as a larger-scale Wonder Trade function, trading selected Pokemon randomly across the globe, even when you're not using the Pokemon Home app. Meanwhile, the GTS will be making a comeback, and just like the older games, you'll be able to deposit a set Pokemon and request a trade with someone for another Pokemon, under certain conditions. Room Trades are similar to Wonder Trades, but you'll join together with a set of 20 players, who will each randomly trade their Pokemon. Players on the free plan can partake in these trades, but only paid members can host them.

Instead of receiving carting your Switch to events, Mystery Gifts can be obtained both locally and online through the Pokemon Home app as well.

:arrow: Source

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gamefreak and Pokemon Company strikes again, but hardcore fans will never complain and praise the move, just like they did with the last games

Well, you can use an emunand to mod your console while still being able to play online, that's what I do (even tho I almost never use my sysnand and online play), but if you don't know what you are doing, don't do anything or you will get banned because of a dumb move
You mean gamefreak and Nintendo. Pokemon company is owned 50/50 by both. When decisions are made both have to agree

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
So, let's resume.

50 bucks for an incomplete game with as much content as Red/Blue/Yellow.
30 bucks for a DLC restoring the things they should have added at the beginning of the game
20 bucks to be allowed to trade and battle
20 more bucks to be allowed to transfer back old pokes

I'll pass. Pokemon's licence ended with the last Gen 7 games to me, unless someone is willing to mod them to add more recent pokes.

PKSM is a thing if I want to transfer (even though I'd love it to work on pre-Gen4 VC games).
Drayano's works, Moemon and Supernova Sun are a thing if I want more complete (or cuter in Moemon's case) games.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I’ve never played Pokémon. Please help this male over 40. What is a “GTS”?
Global Trade System.
First implemented in Diamond & Pearl for the DS (two separate versions there), since the DS was the first handheld system to have Wi-Fi support, it allows people to put one of their Pokemon up for trading, and ask for something specific, or to see what others have put up and their requests.

For example, you can put up a Snorlax and ask for a Lv. 30-39 Infernape, or you could search for all Magnezone uploaded and see what the owners of those Magnezone want in exchange.

Of course, people did end up asking for impossible combinations, such as Lv. 1-9 Zekrom or Lv. 10-19 Mewtwo, and event Pokemon with certain Ribbons were blocked from being traded this way, so it was never flawless. However, it was still decently useful all the same.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the TemTem hype personally. As much as everyone seems to praise it to be the next "Pokemon killer while Pokemon is screwing up", it doesn't appear to be all that much better - again, less monsters, worse graphics, similarly simplistic animations, and relatively uninspired mon designs and artistic direction. Besides, I'm sceptical of MMO aspects already: from ability of small indie studio to carry an ambitious MMO (projects that fail all too often, as NerdSlayer can attest), to the fact that consistent updates will require consistent income (which means microtransactions and subscriptions are most likely to follow). I think a lot of support for TemTem comes out of pure spite for Pokemon, which is understandable, but won't do TemTem any favor once people chill down and realize that there are tons of better mon games than both Pokemon and TemTem.

I mean, if you're a compulsive buyer, that is - most sane people will buy a single copy, maybe DLC, and a subscription if they're really into the game. Even for hardcore gamers, there's no good reason to buy everything, as you suggested above. Counting in online membership is also weird, since you kinda need that for every online Switch game (including "better" ones).
What I'm saying is that if you want the full Pokemon experience, this is how much you're going to pay. I don't expect everyone to be paying this much, I just think that gamefreak's compartmentalization of certain features to this extent is greedy.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone meet a new pokemon

Attachments

• 31Tlj83xP-L._SX258_BO1_204_203_200_.jpg
    31Tlj83xP-L._SX258_BO1_204_203_200_.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 142

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Just wait for SMT V :ha:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The problem is, storing pokemon and managing pokemon is super easy. It doesn't require Terabytes of data. I'm pretty sure every single person on this planet's pokemon could fit on a single 1tb hard drive with ease.

If uncompressed, a million people's storage (6000) comes in at roughly ~5TB. Still fits on a single drive, but a tad larger than 1TB.

You mean gamefreak and Nintendo. Pokemon company is owned 50/50 by both. When decisions are made both have to agree

Pokemon Company is actually 1/3 owned by Nintendo, 1/3 by Creatures Inc, and 1/3 by Gamefreak last I checked. Creatures Inc is owned fully by Nintendo, and Nintendo is the majority shareholder in Gamefreak, so Nintendo effectively owns Pokemon and has the final say on anything Gamefreak does with it.

50 bucks for an incomplete game with as much content as Red/Blue/Yellow.

Less, actually. There are no three mythicals. You cannot refight the elite four. There is absolutely nothing to do in postgame aside from the stupid "go here" quest.

Also, it's $60 USD. Not $50.

Last edited by chaoskagami,
Reactions: LightBeam

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now having a banned switch doesn't seem so bad
no fee for some online games via lan-play/ldn mitim import pokemon for free via pkhex cheat codes homebrew the list goes on make save backups ect ect

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
PAYING to transfer your Pokemon? Nah fam, fuck that shit. It should be free with our Nintendo Online we already pay for.

Also, it's $60 USD. Not $50.

*AHEM*
848d91b6d96c94eb15ca27c66b547e2c2d3433a2r1-2048-1536v2_hq (1).jpg

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PAYING to transfer your Pokemon? Nah fam, fuck that shit. It should be free with our Nintendo Online we already pay for.

*AHEM*
View attachment 194777
They do this in the uk also wher things are not priced at a round number :lol:so stupid bunch of bellends

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Just quit transfer Pokemon over and over already. Does it even worth it to begin with?

Some people are attached to their collection, and aren't willing to start it over every generation, which is understandable when it means catching again 800+ pokes.

So what can you do with the free one? Can you even transfer from Let’s Go to Sword/Shield? Everything I’ve read seems to be everything but switch games

The free version allows transfers from Switch games but not from Bank.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I appreciate your well-thought reply. My impression thus far is that the dialog across the board is terrible. Whoever is writing it does not know how normal people speak, or how the experts and professionals of this universe would conduct themselves. It's like a high schooler who proclaims themselves as quirky and random using bad anime dub as inspiration for writing pokemon fanfic. Sitting through cutscene dialog is making me cringe. All of the terms you'd be familiar with in the pokemon series is mad-libbed in with their own versions - [Poke ball: TemCard] [Trainer: Tamer] and so on.

Creature designs seem uninspired like you said, and the battle mechanics are predictable - definitely not blowing my mind. It seems that single battles are impossible and that so far they don't have any battle mechanic gimmick to combat what the pokemon series goes for (mega evolutions, z-moves, giganti (gag, I don't even want to finish the word). Synergies are interesting, where certain moves are powered up if your doubles partner is the correct type to synergize with it.

Graphics are enjoyable to me, a nice 60fps and smooth animations. Battle move effects look nice. Music does not transition from overworld into battles very well and it makes it feel clunky. Overworld design feels weird as well, they're not taking any cues on how routes and wild areas from the pokemon series flow.

All that said, this is my first foray into a creature collector game that isn't pokemon, and it's an early access title on top of that. I really do hope to see this game grow and avoid pay to win mechanics while also making an MMO instead of just seeing other players walk past you. I won't say no to cosmetic-only microtransactions and supporter packs like Path of Exile does if they ever went that route.

I could get into it for hours about the development trajectory PoE has taken since beta, but to sum it up, I hope to see Temtem make a similar approach of releasing a complete and self-contained game first and foremost no matter how small, and add replay value by creating expansions to go beyond the original endgame and mechanics piece by piece or through seasons - PoE does "leagues" where their gimmick mechanic is the focus of the whole season, and most of the time after the season ends, the gimmick is rebalanced and rolled into the base game and the next season and gimmick is introduced. It's like a snowball of awesome rolling downhill.

I hope this huge post doesn't detract from how much of a joke pokemon has become.
Hm, I kinda see your point. That could be a decent approach actually, assuming they'll be able to pull it off, so we'll see.

And hey, also thank you for elaborate response too! GBATemp forum section isn't exactly known for level-headed opinions, so I respect one when I see one :D Though I'm more mixed-to-positive towards Pokemon as of now - questionable monetization isn't something to be happy about, but some flaws and rough edges aside, SwSh was still a pretty solid game for the genre, if nothing more. I suppose people are afraid of franchise going downhill from here (the whole Game Freak will never try again, fans will eat it anyway attitude), but as with TemTem, it's one of those "we'll see" situations - it might be a sign of steep decline, or it might be a temporary stumble before GF collect themselves during transitional period. So, we'll see indeed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte