1. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    You mean gamefreak and Nintendo. Pokemon company is owned 50/50 by both. When decisions are made both have to agree

2. Izual Urashima

Izual Urashima GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    So, let's resume.

50 bucks for an incomplete game with as much content as Red/Blue/Yellow.
    30 bucks for a DLC restoring the things they should have added at the beginning of the game
    20 bucks to be allowed to trade and battle
    20 more bucks to be allowed to transfer back old pokes

I'll pass. Pokemon's licence ended with the last Gen 7 games to me, unless someone is willing to mod them to add more recent pokes.

PKSM is a thing if I want to transfer (even though I'd love it to work on pre-Gen4 VC games).
    Drayano's works, Moemon and Supernova Sun are a thing if I want more complete (or cuter in Moemon's case) games.

3. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Global Trade System.
    First implemented in Diamond & Pearl for the DS (two separate versions there), since the DS was the first handheld system to have Wi-Fi support, it allows people to put one of their Pokemon up for trading, and ask for something specific, or to see what others have put up and their requests.

For example, you can put up a Snorlax and ask for a Lv. 30-39 Infernape, or you could search for all Magnezone uploaded and see what the owners of those Magnezone want in exchange.

Of course, people did end up asking for impossible combinations, such as Lv. 1-9 Zekrom or Lv. 10-19 Mewtwo, and event Pokemon with certain Ribbons were blocked from being traded this way, so it was never flawless. However, it was still decently useful all the same.

4. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why did they lock transferring your own Pokemon behind a paywall that's fucking lame, I'll just use PKHeX for free instead

AkiraKurusu likes this.
  5. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

United States
    15.99/yr. That's about 1hr of work for me.

Probably do the 1 month and that's it. I barely used Bank.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  6. Seliph

Seliph Professional Orphan

United States
    What I'm saying is that if you want the full Pokemon experience, this is how much you're going to pay. I don't expect everyone to be paying this much, I just think that gamefreak's compartmentalization of certain features to this extent is greedy.

7. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Hey everyone meet a new pokemon

Attached Files:

8. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
    Developer

United States
    If uncompressed, a million people's storage (6000) comes in at roughly ~5TB. Still fits on a single drive, but a tad larger than 1TB.

Pokemon Company is actually 1/3 owned by Nintendo, 1/3 by Creatures Inc, and 1/3 by Gamefreak last I checked. Creatures Inc is owned fully by Nintendo, and Nintendo is the majority shareholder in Gamefreak, so Nintendo effectively owns Pokemon and has the final say on anything Gamefreak does with it.

Less, actually. There are no three mythicals. You cannot refight the elite four. There is absolutely nothing to do in postgame aside from the stupid "go here" quest.

Also, it's $60 USD. Not $50.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    LightBeam likes this.
  9. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    now having a banned switch doesn't seem so bad
    no fee for some online games via lan-play/ldn mitim import pokemon for free via pkhex cheat codes homebrew the list goes on make save backups ect ect

10. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    PAYING to transfer your Pokemon? Nah fam, fuck that shit. It should be free with our Nintendo Online we already pay for.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

*AHEM*
    848d91b6d96c94eb15ca27c66b547e2c2d3433a2r1-2048-1536v2_hq (1).jpg

11. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Canada
    Ok, wait... so I can't transfer my 3DS Pokemon with the free subscription, right?

12. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    They do this in the uk also wher things are not priced at a round number :lol:so stupid bunch of bellends

13. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
    Developer

United States
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  14. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Vietnam
    Just quit transfer Pokemon over and over already. Does it even worth it to begin with?

15. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    Many Switch games here are permanently $10 cheaper at Walmart.

16. CharlesHoy

CharlesHoy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    So what can you do with the free one? Can you even transfer from Let’s Go to Sword/Shield? Everything I’ve read seems to be everything but switch games

17. Izual Urashima

Izual Urashima GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Some people are attached to their collection, and aren't willing to start it over every generation, which is understandable when it means catching again 800+ pokes.

The free version allows transfers from Switch games but not from Bank.

18. Alex21xx

Alex21xx Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    im tired of always transfering pokemon from other games, can't they find an automated solution?^^

19. Vilagamer999

Vilagamer999 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Honestly imo Nintendo is decent at making mobile games but scummy when pricing the store...

20. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Hm, I kinda see your point. That could be a decent approach actually, assuming they'll be able to pull it off, so we'll see.

And hey, also thank you for elaborate response too! GBATemp forum section isn't exactly known for level-headed opinions, so I respect one when I see one :D Though I'm more mixed-to-positive towards Pokemon as of now - questionable monetization isn't something to be happy about, but some flaws and rough edges aside, SwSh was still a pretty solid game for the genre, if nothing more. I suppose people are afraid of franchise going downhill from here (the whole Game Freak will never try again, fans will eat it anyway attitude), but as with TemTem, it's one of those "we'll see" situations - it might be a sign of steep decline, or it might be a temporary stumble before GF collect themselves during transitional period. So, we'll see indeed.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - launches, Pokemon, premium