Pokemon Heart Gold sav file?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by 13 Black, Sep 14, 2009.

Sep 14, 2009

Pokemon Heart Gold sav file? by 13 Black at 9:51 PM (16,664 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. 13 Black
    OP

Newcomer 13 Black Member

United States
    I was playing Heart Gold on my R4 until my retail copy arrived today, and I want to load the save file from my R4 to the actual cart. The save file in my R4 is 512kb, but when I tried to put it on the game using a version of "eepinator", the program said that the normal save size for the game was just 8kb!

So next, I tried this site to convert the save to the smaller size and then load it, and it said something along the lines of the "data does not verify"... so how do I load my R4 save onto my retail copy of Heart Gold? Do I need another program or something?

2. 13 Black
    OP

Newcomer 13 Black Member

United States
  3. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    Eepinator is old, and Pokemon games use 512KB Flash save (your R4 got it right, eepinator got it wrong). Use this NDS homebrew application:

NDS Backup Tool Wifi
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2719

AFAIK R4s don't use proprietary save format (but I'm not sure, I have a CycloDS), so you shouldn't need to convert it.

Before reading my post, try the links at the bottom, or try googling 'NDS Backup Tool Wifi tutorial'. (My explanation might be crap, as I can't remember much of this, as I haven't used this app for a while...)

To use the above mentioned app, you'll need to edit the .ini that comes with it to match your computer's IP address, a your DS with wifi set up (Need to use a wireles router, Nintendo Wifi USB Connetor won't work), and you need to DLDI patch the .nds file with the correct DLDI patch, and you'll need an ftp server application running on your computer (I think it needs to be set up a certain way, but I can't remember how). After setting everything up, put the .nds file and the .ini file on the root of your SD card and run the ftp server, then NDS Backup Tool Wifi app, backup your retail save, then copy the save you want to your computer, in the folder you have set up for the ftp server, then restore this file to your retail card.

Here are some links which may help: (tutorials, etc.) (Youtube seems down at this time of posting...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4de1xbr0xro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4WIIx9wufQ

4. 13 Black
    OP

Newcomer 13 Black Member

United States
    Thank you, but will that work if all I have is the game and an R4? Or do I need some kind of slot-2 device for this?