Reactions: cearp and raulpica

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Better yet, I'll show you how to change the time manually to whatever time you want:

http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/timechange.php
I wonder why Nintendo went for something that complicated if you wanted to reset your clock? It's almost certain that they did that to force you in calling their hotlines.
But... why? What's so dangerous in JUST resetting a clock, that they've wanted to prevent the users in doing that on their own? :unsure:

Reactions: Deleted-236924

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Better yet, I'll show you how to change the time manually to whatever time you want:

http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/timechange.php

Epic Brain Derp. I should probably head to bed...
Ah, thank you for this. I've seen it before but had forgotten about it. However, it would be rather troublesome to go through this process each and every time I play Gold... I was hoping there was a way to make my game show TIME NOT SET every time I boot it up to allow me to set the time manually without having to go through this secret menu and enter a password.

Reactions: raulpica

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wonder why Nintendo went for something that complicated if you wanted to reset your clock? It's almost certain that they did that to force you in calling their hotlines.
But... why? What's so dangerous in JUST resetting a clock, that they've wanted to prevent the users in doing that on their own? :unsure:
The feature was later removed in Crystal so I'm willing to wager that it's a debug menu for testing day/night conditions, especially since an End User wouldn't be able to generate a password for it. Now we can because the game was hacked to s*it, but back then this wasn't an option.
Ah, thank you for this. I've seen it before but had forgotten about it. However, it would be rather troublesome to go through this process each and every time I play Gold... I was hoping there was a way to make my game show TIME NOT SET every time I boot it up to allow me to set the time manually without having to go through this secret menu and enter a password.
I haven't heard of such a patch, sorry - the RTC clock was on-cartridge, I'm assuming it'd be pre-requisite for using such functionality. Patches like this properly kicked off in the GBA era.

Reactions: raulpica

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have the gut feeling that a patch able to do that would even be quite easy to do, if you knew ASM...

Dunno, try PM'ing Prof. 9 I remember he did some Boktai patches, so that's your best shot.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lameboy somehow makes this option appear every time I boot the game, so wouldn't it be at all possible to get the Smart Card to do this as well?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lameboy somehow makes this option appear every time I boot the game, so wouldn't it be at all possible to get the Smart Card to do this as well?
Lameboy is an emulator - it can "fake" the presence of RTC. Smart Card is a physical device. It's two very different fields - in an emulator all it takes is a manipulation of a couple of addresses, on hardware it's not so simple.
I have the gut feeling that a patch able to do that would even be quite easy to do, if you knew ASM...
Technically you could hard-code "day" and "night" codes and create a hook that switches between them, sure. Unfortunately I know no one who'd be capable of performing such dark wizardry.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lameboy is an emulator - it can "fake" the presence of RTC. Smart Card is a physical device. It's two very different fields - in an emulator all it takes is a manipulation of a couple of addresses, on hardware it's not so simple.
You know how there are emulators built in ROMs (like Goomba)? Maybe there'd be something that can be done similar to this in that it emulators RTC on the Smart Card... Hmm...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You know how there are emulators built in ROMs (like Goomba)? Maybe there'd be something that can be done similar to this in that it emulators RTC on the Smart Card... Hmm...
You can't "emulate" a Game Boy on a Game Boy - your best bet would be some variety of an embedded AR code, or rather its equivalent from that era.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can't "emulate" a Game Boy on a Game Boy - your best bet would be some variety of an embedded AR code, or rather its equivalent from that era.
Surely there is a way to make the ROM always say TIME NOT SET every time you boot it up, no?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Surely there is a way to make the ROM always say TIME NOT SET every time you boot it up, no?

It's simply not as simple as you think it is. ;) Even knowlege of ASM wouldn't guarantee success since decompilation of a binary is rarely perfect - stuff like this takes a lot of trial and error, research and most importantly time. Seeing that nobody else has done it yet and it's a common issue on Game Boy flashkits, i'd wager that it simply wasn't worth the effort when there's a built-in menu for setting the time.

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GameBoy ASM hacking? You're better going out mining for gold, there's more chance in finding that, than a skilled ASM hacker... especially nowadays.
Hi

This doesn't sound hard. I'll give it a shot.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's simply not as simple as you think it is. ;) Even knowlege of ASM wouldn't guarantee success since decompilation of a binary is rarely perfect - stuff like this takes a lot of trial and error, research and most importantly time. Seeing that nobody else has done it yet and it's a common issue on Game Boy flashkits, i'd wager that it simply wasn't worth the effort when there's a built-in menu for setting the time.
Well that just breaks my heart >.< I guess I'll have to keep that tool somewhere handy. :/

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi

This doesn't sound hard. I'll give it a shot.
OH THANK YOU! YOU JUST MADE MY DAY! *squeals like a little girl getting a pony for her birthday*
I really appreciate your initiative, let me know if you come up with anything. Thanks again, man! I'll lie in wait. :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, all I can say is "good luck", as long as you find out what you're supposed to redirect or feed the info prior to boot, you're golden. ;)

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Done, here ya go.

Reading the subroutine for the "clock reset" menu, all it did was write 0x80 to a byte of the save RAM. It's a "clock reset byte", I guess. So I put a read breakpoint there, and I find a function which reads the byte as a return value. So I hard-code the return value of that function to be 0x80 instead of whatever the value actually is. It seems to do the trick.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Done, here ya go.

Reading the subroutine for the "clock reset" menu, all it did was write 0x80 to a byte of the save RAM. It's a "clock reset byte", I guess. So I put a read breakpoint there, and I find a function which reads the byte as a return value. So I hard-code the return value of that function to be 0x80 instead of whatever the value actually is. It seems to do the trick.
Your link seems doesn't seem to open for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: