Homebrew Pokemon Gold and Silver VC: Can't Import saves from VBA

PKMWM1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else had the problem of trying to export an older save from VisualBoyAdvance (VBA) into the new re-releases of Gold and Silver, but find that they whenever you try to boot up the game, it just says that the data was corrupted and has to be initilizzed (which means erased)?

I've tried some experimentation:
Importating a save file from VisualBoyAdvance save directory - Corrupt
Exporting a battery from VisualBoyAdvance. Both Battery Mode and Flash Save - Corrupt
Taking an exported save and opening it in PKHeX making a change to trainer ID. Saveing and trying to import into VC - corrupt
Exporting a save from VC, editing it in PKHeX, reimporting Save - Worked.
Exporting a save from VC into VisualBoyAdvance opening the save, re-saving and exporting back - corrupt

For some reason, I can export and import saves from the VC using JKSM and edit them in PKHex. However, any save that is touched by the emulator doesn't work at all with the Virtual Console games. I was thinking it was the clock. My visualboyadvance always causes my in-game clock to be "TIME NOT SET" on the menu and requires me to set the clock every time I try to enter the game. Maybe this is the problem. But I can't figure out a way to send a game from VisualBoyAdvance into Virtual Console at all. I even tried deleting the secure values using JKSM and savedatafiler, but it still doesn't work. Anybody have a solution? I want to play through the game on my 3ds, then send the save to my PC to play Stadium 2 on an emulator, but I can't make it work

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i yet to have issues with pkhex on gold vc just using it alone without importing to VBA just pull the file types drop down to "all files when saving your .dat (and just overwrite your save) it should work i got 5 99x rare candies among other items from game start

jaderocc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I transferred over my cartridge save file just fine. Make sure it’s a battery export, 32kb in size, and named sav.dat
what did you use, jksm?

every time i try to import a cartridge save it tells me it needs to "initialize the data" :/

Trevorman5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What i did was just added the last line of code in HxD from my Silver save, that I didn't transfer over from a physical cartridge, and it worked perfectly. The last line I had to transfer from Silver to Gold was like 18000 idk, but it had a D in it on the right side of the line. Just copy the last line from a save file that was made in the VC copy and you should be good. It worked for me anyway.

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Has anyone else had the problem of trying to export an older save from VisualBoyAdvance (VBA) into the new re-releases of Gold and Silver, but find that they whenever you try to boot up the game, it just says that the data was corrupted and has to be initilizzed (which means erased)?

I've tried some experimentation:
Importating a save file from VisualBoyAdvance save directory - Corrupt
Exporting a battery from VisualBoyAdvance. Both Battery Mode and Flash Save - Corrupt
Taking an exported save and opening it in PKHeX making a change to trainer ID. Saveing and trying to import into VC - corrupt
Exporting a save from VC, editing it in PKHeX, reimporting Save - Worked.
Exporting a save from VC into VisualBoyAdvance opening the save, re-saving and exporting back - corrupt

For some reason, I can export and import saves from the VC using JKSM and edit them in PKHex. However, any save that is touched by the emulator doesn't work at all with the Virtual Console games. I was thinking it was the clock. My visualboyadvance always causes my in-game clock to be "TIME NOT SET" on the menu and requires me to set the clock every time I try to enter the game. Maybe this is the problem. But I can't figure out a way to send a game from VisualBoyAdvance into Virtual Console at all. I even tried deleting the secure values using JKSM and savedatafiler, but it still doesn't work. Anybody have a solution? I want to play through the game on my 3ds, then send the save to my PC to play Stadium 2 on an emulator, but I can't make it work
The problem is file size, VBA seems to only export the file at 32kb while 33kb is used on the VC. i also opened up a hex editor to compare the filesize and adding a single line at the end fixes the problem, i'm not sure if you can fill it with all 00's or if it has to be the same hex code the new save used but if you want to try it i had to add this line: 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 16 65 6C 86 1F 00 00 20

CrazyMaxx

Stand-User
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a another way, I removed the 2 last lines with Hxd and copy and past the last line from the vc save, this last line is only on that new Vc games

Now its work fine

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Themonkeyking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I have a another way, I removed the 2 last lines with Hxd and copy and past the last line from the vc save, this last line is only on that new Vc games

Now its work fine

can you edit this save for me pls ?

mega.nz/fm/xHZxBKLR

360henkaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I deleted the last two lines of code in HxD editor then saved as a Sav.dat to import in my VC copy of Pokemon Silver in JKSM, it worked well.
you should try it out.

Deleting the last two lines worked for me. No need to re-save it. Just rename it to sav.dat

can you edit this save for me pls ?

mega.nz/fm/xHZxBKLR

I would help you but your link isnt accessible

Kazalber

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
EDIT: Deleted my previous reply for safety and legal reasons :ph34r:
Adding a line in HxD did the work for me.

Last edited by Kazalber,

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I deleted the last two lines of code in HxD editor then saved as a Sav.dat to import in my VC copy of Pokemon Silver in JKSM, it worked well.
you should try it out.
I'm getting the same issue.

I'm seeing a lot of "00 00 00" etc. and then a "FF" after LINES... would that make that my final line? Meaning I delete that one, and the one before it, (which is all 0s)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr