Pokémon GO Summer Tour 2018 Announced

summertour2018.jpg

Remember that AR mobile phone game that everyone was playing a few years ago? It still exists and is having another tour this year. In a news update post today, The Pokémon GO team announced the comeback of the Pokémon GO Summer Tour.

Unlike last year's U.S.-only event, this year's includes more places:
  • July 14 to July 15: Pokémon GO Fest 2018: A Walk in the Park in Lincoln Park, Chicago (single-day passes go on sale on May 11 for $20 on the event website)
  • June 30 to July 1: Safari Zone event in Dortmund's Westfalenpark, Germany (open event)
  • Later this Summer: Safari Zone event in Yokosuka, Japan
The events are open to anyone to join but if you can't make it to any of the event this summer, the post mentions that you can join in the fun by engaging "in a variety of activities and challenges, so you’ll be able to take part no matter where you are. Announcements on these features will be forthcoming."

Are you still playing Pokémon GO? And if so, are you looking forward to join one of the events mentioned above? Or maybe you stopped playing altogether and forgot about the app on your phone? If that's the case, what made you drop the game altogether?

:arrow: SOURCE

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The last event was a disaster, I hope they learned from it.
They need to install cell towers at the site or they'll just have network congestion again, and nobody able to play.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really hope they get this one right, even though I am not going to be able to attend these events.
Personally I wish they would setup some events in cities closer to me. :glare:

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am surprised they are even bothering with the disaster that happened last year and who even still plays this anymore?

jpx86

Trophies
XP
Country
Casuals.

Most of the people on this site I feel are a little more picky about what they play.
Actually a lot of the people that play are really hardcore about it. You get a pass per day to do a raid, and a lot of people do several a day. The addition of quests and raids has helped the game a lot compared to when it launched.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not only that, I think the demographic of the hardcore players (at least where I'm at) will shock many people. I know A LOT of people who are in their 50s/retiring age who play this because it gives them something to do. And they are the ones with a heck of a lot of time to spare doing them religiously.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually a lot of the people that play are really hardcore about it. You get a pass per day to do a raid, and a lot of people do several a day. The addition of quests and raids has helped the game a lot compared to when it launched.

Not only that, I think the demographic of the hardcore players (at least where I'm at) will shock many people. I know A LOT of people who are in their 50s/retiring age who play this because it gives them something to do. And they are the ones with a heck of a lot of time to spare doing them religiously.
Well, that's what I was trying to say, the ones that still play this game are of a different demographic than what's on this site, that's why you're seeing a lot of the "who still plays this?" posts.
Maybe casuals was the wrong word, but I meant like people who don't regularly game and may not even own a game console or play much more than card games on the computer.

Reactions: jpx86
D

Deleted User

I'm actually surprised how there's still people playing this thing. It kills your phone (not just in terms of battery, but also other components, since the phone goes really hot), it has huge ammounts of lag, bugs that can't be fixed because they're related to poor signal, lack of basic features, full of spoofers and god knows what else.
Why not play Ingress instead? This is a good time to start, since Ingress 2.0 is coming.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"zomg who plays" says the people who don't play.

If you don't play it, that's fine :P but don't be so surprised when there are an insane amount of people who play a game you don't. It hardly makes you more "l33t hardcore" or more of a "gamer" to complain about a game you haven't played much of (if at all). And if you've tried it in the past and got annoyed, give it another go. It's gotten a lot better and a lot more fun. Less glitches, more stuff happening. daily tasks, long term tasks, special invites, group play, weather-dependent stuff, etc. etc. I'd say it's in a place I'd recommend it to others to play now that it feels like it's out of beta. Just join a facebook/discord chat/group in your area to really understand why folks play it still (yes, seriously).

PvP is coming soon, but I don't really care about that. Trading will be difficult to implement because of the nature of the game and their philosophy, so who knows when that'll happen...and to be honest, it won't add much to the game.

As long as they learned their lesson and put in a proper wireless mesh, this will be a successful event.

Last edited by osaka35,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I remember after last years balls up we all benefited, with early raid releases etc, so if anything I'm hoping it's another cock up! :lol:
(Yeah I still play it pretty much everyday!)

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Pokemon Go is the most unique games I've played in a long time and to be honest probably one of the only games i've played just about every day for almost two years.

I do like that it gets you out meeting like minded people on the community days, or even just doing the raids.

Just yesterday I was on a train with nothing much to do for 50 minutes, so I was randomly catching Pokemon and spinning the Pokestops when the train stopped at the various stations along the way. Anyway the person sat next to me noticed Pokemon Go on my phone and asked what team I was on, so I got talking to her for a bit about Pokemon, we would have probably never spoke otherwise.

Likewise when i've been in town taking a gym people will see that happening in game and come up and talk, i'm not saying that happens all the time but you do start to see some familiar faces about from the community days and raids. When you don't live in a big city you really do need to get together with some friends or people in your local area to get the most out the game.

Most people I see out playing the game are probably 25-40ish, i've not seen many teenagers playing. Although I have seen various people in their 50's / 60's playing it too, which is not something I ever expected.

I think the only downside to the game is it totally ignores the area I live in, theirs one Pokestop and that's it, although I do get plenty of Pokemon spawning. As the games been out for two years it would be nice if I was able to submit local areas of interest to help better the game.

Last edited by InsaneNutter,
D

Deleted User

As the games been out for two years it would be nice if I was able to submit local areas of interest to help better the game.
Niantic uses portals submited by Ingress players above a certain level to create stops and gyms it those same spots. I don't see them giving this permission to GO players, since the location of portals in Ingress is way more tactical. It's not about the ammount, but their position in order to create fields. In GO you would only care about having a bunch of gyms and stops near eachother.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol