Pokemon Go reveals a new creature, Meltan

Players of Pokemon Go found an odd bit of data recently; in place of the Pokemon Ditto, there was instead a new creature that had never been seen before. The mystery caused confusion as to if it was merely a glitch, or if it was a sign of things to come. Now, the official Pokemon YouTube channel has revealed the latest addition to the world of Pokemon, Meltan. It's available first in Pokemon Go, and will be in the upcoming Pokemon Let's Go as well. Meltan is a new Steel type form, but not evolution, of Ditto. More information will be revealed soon.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Classic Pokémon: creatures that actually look like animals (or otherwise living things)
Modern Pokémon: fucking objects with randomly floating body parts / a second grader's art project

AtsuNii

AtsuNii's New Beginnings
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wonder tho why no ditto then in Pokemon Go tho, seeing them wanting to insert more and more pokemon of earlier gens in it, why not ditto. I'm sure plenty of people want Ditto, but for my limited experience with go as far as battles go, i can somewhat see a problem with Ditto. But I don't know if they changed anything battlewise in Go since the launch.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Classic Pokémon: creatures that actually look like animals (or otherwise living things)
IMG_1724.PNG

Modern Pokémon: fucking objects with randomly floating body parts / a second grader's art project
IMG_1723.PNG

Yeah you're totally right

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
I wonder tho why no ditto then in Pokemon Go tho, seeing them wanting to insert more and more pokemon of earlier gens in it, why not ditto. I'm sure plenty of people want Ditto, but for my limited experience with go as far as battles go, i can somewhat see a problem with Ditto. But I don't know if they changed anything battlewise in Go since the launch.

Ditto is in Pokémon GO since an year or more, you can find it by catching selected Pokémon species that can hide a Ditto (you get a transform animation after you catch the pokémon hiding a Ditto).
Meltan however is not related to Ditto: it started spawning after the Community Day of this weekend and no one had a clue about it and, after catching one, you will see that it was instead a Ditto.

Now they announced that it's a new Mythical Pokémon and that many Ditto began copying it (probably due to a similar form), but it's not a Steel type Ditto at all.

Reactions: x65943 and AtsuNii

AtsuNii

AtsuNii's New Beginnings
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ditto is in Pokémon GO since an year or more, you can find it by catching selected Pokémon species that can hide a Ditto (you get a transform animation after you catch the pokémon hiding a Ditto).
Meltan however is not related to Ditto: it started spawning after the Community Day of this weekend and no one had a clue about it and, after catching one, you will see that it was instead a Ditto.

Now they announced that it's a new Mythical Pokémon and that many Ditto began copying it (probably due to a similar form), but it's not a Steel type Ditto at all.

Ah that explains quite alot, thanks for explaining ^^

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's already in the game. Not sure why they're holding back info on it. I saw the shadow image of it on the nearby Pokemon thing when I was playing and was really confused on what it was, since I didn't recognize it. I went over to where it was and encountered it.

Its name shows up as ??? when you encounter it and when you catch it you just get a Ditto. I don't have any screenshots unfortunately. I had no idea it was unknown information.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, we brought you Pokemon Emerald with "Jump anytime you want" mechanic courtesy of Vinesauce

Now, we proudly (?) present Pokemon GO with 800% more blobs with gigantic hex-nut eyeballs.

Reactions: AdenTheThird

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm the recent Pokemon Gold beta leak had a never before seen steel type evolution of ditto when it held metal coat. Maybe Pokemon Co. was inspired by this.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
Ah that explains quite alot, thanks for explaining ^^

BTW if you haven't played since the first months there is a lot more in the game:

- Currently we are at Gen3 (+ Alolan), waiting for Gen4 to release
- They remade the gym system
- Raids (and Legendary Pokémon with them), where you can fight with other players against a strong Pokémon
- Research, which are like Quests, and Special Research which are mini "story" driven quests to get Mew and Celebi
- There are a lot of events, usually one per month lasting 1-2 weeks
- They've added shiny Pokémons
- One day per month is Community Day: 3 hours where you find loads of one Pokémon (Chikorita last time) and have big chances of finding its shiny form
- Friends, to get bonuses by raising the friendship level
- Trades (which are quite expansive for stuff like legendary or shiny pokemon)

@gman666 it wasn't a beta leak, just a datamining of current network traffic made by Chrales, that showed the new Pokémon before it was added to Go (1 day early).
OFC this was already planned by Niantic/Pokémon Company

Last edited by DaRk_ViVi,

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW if you haven't played since the first months there is a lot more in the game:

- Currently we are at Gen3 (+ Alolan), waiting for Gen4 to release
- They remade the gym system
- Raids (and Legendary Pokémon with them), where you can fight with other players against a strong Pokémon
- Research, which are like Quests, and Special Research which are mini "story" driven quests to get Mew and Celebi
- There are a lot of events, usually one per month lasting 1-2 weeks
- They've added shiny Pokémons
- One day per month is Community Day: 3 hours where you find loads of one Pokémon (Chikorita last time) and have big chances of finding its shiny form
- Friends, to get bonuses by raising the friendship level
- Trades (which are quite expansive for stuff like legendary or shiny pokemon)

@gman666 it wasn't a beta leak, just a datamining of current network traffic made by Chrales, that showed the new Pokémon before it was added to Go (1 day early).
OFC this was already planned by Niantic/Pokémon Company
Oh they finally added trades....

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned it in my thread, but this pokemon isn't catchable in pokemon Go yet :P it's just on the map. when you try and catch it, it turns into a ditto. So no pokedex entry, no details other than what it looks like. It popped up everywhere right after the last community day (saturday) for 30 minutes, then became a rare spawn. No details, just a tweet of the pokemon from the head PR japan guy of the pokemon. Then we get this info today. No word on when it'll actually be catchable in pokemon go, though.

Last edited by osaka35,

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calling it now, trade Ditto with steel coat to get Meltan /s

On a more serious note, I hope they start making evolutions for older pokemon again. I hope we get an eeveelution in the next mainline series game

So - if Meltan is in Pokemon: Let's go Eevee/Pikachu!, does that mean we ARE getting more than the vanilla 151?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm