Pokemon Go reveals a new creature, Meltan

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 25, 2018.

Front-page

Players of Pokemon Go found an odd bit of data recently; in place of the Pokemon Ditto, there was instead a new creature that had never been seen before. The mystery caused confusion as to if it was merely a glitch, or if it was a sign of things to come. Now, the official Pokemon YouTube channel has revealed the latest addition to the world of Pokemon, Meltan. It's available first in Pokemon Go, and will be in the upcoming Pokemon Let's Go as well. Meltan is a new Steel type form, but not evolution, of Ditto. More information will be revealed soon.

Discussion (52 replies)
  1. smileyhead

smileyhead 56709

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Classic Pokémon: creatures that actually look like animals (or otherwise living things)
    Modern Pokémon: fucking objects with randomly floating body parts / a second grader's art project

Exaltys, elBenyo, Slackot and 21 others like this.
  2. AtsuNii

AtsuNii AtsuNii's New Beginnings

GBAtemp Patron
    AtsuNii is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 20, 2018
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's bed
    I wonder tho why no ditto then in Pokemon Go tho, seeing them wanting to insert more and more pokemon of earlier gens in it, why not ditto. I'm sure plenty of people want Ditto, but for my limited experience with go as far as battles go, i can somewhat see a problem with Ditto. But I don't know if they changed anything battlewise in Go since the launch.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    IMG_1724.PNG

IMG_1723.PNG

Yeah you're totally right

4. Azmort

Azmort GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2015
    Mexico
    Yeah, I have seen balls, magnets, rocks and mud walking over the ground and even floating.

5. DaRk_ViVi

DaRk_ViVi Sending you back... to the future!

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    Ditto is in Pokémon GO since an year or more, you can find it by catching selected Pokémon species that can hide a Ditto (you get a transform animation after you catch the pokémon hiding a Ditto).
    Meltan however is not related to Ditto: it started spawning after the Community Day of this weekend and no one had a clue about it and, after catching one, you will see that it was instead a Ditto.

Now they announced that it's a new Mythical Pokémon and that many Ditto began copying it (probably due to a similar form), but it's not a Steel type Ditto at all.

x65943 and AtsuNii like this.
  6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    its a dumb idea and it obviously started as a bad joke at niantic.

Seliph and Subtle Demise like this.
  7. AtsuNii

AtsuNii AtsuNii's New Beginnings

GBAtemp Patron
    AtsuNii is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 20, 2018
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's bed
    Ah that explains quite alot, thanks for explaining ^^

8. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fanatic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    This looks pretty dumb. I hope this isn't the selling point of Pokemon Switch, because it certainly isn't going to fly with me.

9. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Dr. Willow is sexy.

Seliph and Soulsilve2010 like this.
  10. BobDoleOwndU

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    It's already in the game. Not sure why they're holding back info on it. I saw the shadow image of it on the nearby Pokemon thing when I was playing and was really confused on what it was, since I didn't recognize it. I went over to where it was and encountered it.

Its name shows up as ??? when you encounter it and when you catch it you just get a Ditto. I don't have any screenshots unfortunately. I had no idea it was unknown information.

11. Taffy

Taffy If specified, this will replace the title that...

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    First, we brought you Pokemon Emerald with "Jump anytime you want" mechanic courtesy of Vinesauce

Now, we proudly (?) present Pokemon GO with 800% more blobs with gigantic hex-nut eyeballs.

AdenTheThird likes this.
  12. AdenTheThird

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    That's Nintendo for you.

Taffy likes this.
  13. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    This is literally the biggest gore i've seen in all the past millennia.

14. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    Hmm the recent Pokemon Gold beta leak had a never before seen steel type evolution of ditto when it held metal coat. Maybe Pokemon Co. was inspired by this.

15. AdenTheThird

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    someone at Nintendo was playing with a hexagonal nut and a blob of Silly Putty and decided to make it into a Pokemon...

voila. Meltan.

16. DaRk_ViVi

DaRk_ViVi Sending you back... to the future!

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    BTW if you haven't played since the first months there is a lot more in the game:

- Currently we are at Gen3 (+ Alolan), waiting for Gen4 to release
    - They remade the gym system
    - Raids (and Legendary Pokémon with them), where you can fight with other players against a strong Pokémon
    - Research, which are like Quests, and Special Research which are mini "story" driven quests to get Mew and Celebi
    - There are a lot of events, usually one per month lasting 1-2 weeks
    - They've added shiny Pokémons
    - One day per month is Community Day: 3 hours where you find loads of one Pokémon (Chikorita last time) and have big chances of finding its shiny form
    - Friends, to get bonuses by raising the friendship level
    - Trades (which are quite expansive for stuff like legendary or shiny pokemon)

@gman666 it wasn't a beta leak, just a datamining of current network traffic made by Chrales, that showed the new Pokémon before it was added to Go (1 day early).
    OFC this was already planned by Niantic/Pokémon Company

Last edited by DaRk_ViVi, Sep 25, 2018
    AtsuNii and AdenTheThird like this.
  17. AdenTheThird

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    Oh they finally added trades....

18. AdenTheThird
    This message by AdenTheThird has been removed from public view by Chary, Sep 25, 2018, Reason: Duplicate post.
    Sep 25, 2018
  19. Kolunio

Kolunio Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2018
    Poland
    AdenTheThird and CallmeBerto like this.
  20. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I mentioned it in my thread, but this pokemon isn't catchable in pokemon Go yet :P it's just on the map. when you try and catch it, it turns into a ditto. So no pokedex entry, no details other than what it looks like. It popped up everywhere right after the last community day (saturday) for 30 minutes, then became a rare spawn. No details, just a tweet of the pokemon from the head PR japan guy of the pokemon. Then we get this info today. No word on when it'll actually be catchable in pokemon go, though.

Last edited by osaka35, Sep 25, 2018
  21. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Calling it now, trade Ditto with steel coat to get Meltan /s

On a more serious note, I hope they start making evolutions for older pokemon again. I hope we get an eeveelution in the next mainline series game

So - if Meltan is in Pokemon: Let's go Eevee/Pikachu!, does that mean we ARE getting more than the vanilla 151?