Pokemon Go AR game announced for mobile

Today the The Pokémon Company announced Pokémon Go, a mobile game that the developer Niantic has been working on for the last few years alongside Nintendo.
The game will use a peripheral called the Pokémon Go Plus that will pair to the player's phone and allow them to virtually catch Pokémon. The device will also have a rumble feature to alert the wearer to a potential catch.

aug.PNG

Check out the following trailer that has been dedicated to Satoru Iwata:

Pokémon Go will release in 2016 for Android & iOS.

Last edited by T-hug,

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm that trailer is a ton of misleading.
I hate it when they never show any idea of actual gameplay.
Likely it'll just be a 2D screen and battles are fought automatically so no strategy required.
In otherwords like Ingress but with a license on top.
Least thats what I fear.
If they had classic style battling it might not be too bad.

From what we can tell though it seems it'll kinda be like geo caching but likely they'll make it simple and you'll just get random wild pokemon finds.
Seems fun but I'm guessing it'll end up as cheap as they can manage it rather than a full fledged game.
Oh well should be fun to see how it works out providing the accessory isn't insanely hard to get.

Reactions: dimmidice

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things like this just make me want Ar/Smartglasses to become mainstream faster and yes, the ad is misleading. Still a good and fun ad.

Should have, even if a low power, made it a smartwatch with Nfc or maybe just Nfc. Would encourage people not to try to find a hack to use their phone only. I wonder if the band is the only way they plan to make money off this.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This really reminds me of Treasure Gaust. Or what it could have been. Pity it never took off.

Even if the app sucks and all that, I still enjoyed the trailer :P

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Been playing Ingress for the past two and a half years or so and am looking forward for a Pokémon-themed version of Ingress. This is going to be great!

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This game could be so damn great if not done for smartphones... Why can't this wait a few years and be released for the HoloLens? That would be much more like the trailer. And with those HoloLens glasses people would look a little like Team Flare grunts. :D

I might try this game, but I'm sure I will be disappointed by the actual experience offered after seeing misleading trailer. I hate it when people still try to sell decent ideas with lots of pure imagination.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine that this will be like a hybrid of Ingress, and the Google Maps Pokemon April fools thing. It will almost certainly require a constant data connection (much like Ingress), and will probably consume a decent amount of battery. For ingress, my preferred mode of play is my Wi-Fi Nexus 9 with a USB extended battery tethered to my phone.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Watch it have poke ball 10 pack microtransactions and not work outside of Japan and America
i'm not sure if you were joking or not but that's exactly what i think it's going to be. nintendo has been really pushing mobile games and microtransactions lately, and are using pokemon to pave the way. (pokemon rumble world and pokemon shuffle for example)

i wouldn't be surprised if NX turns out to be their own android based handheld.

Last edited by dimmidice, , Reason: typo of -> if
Reactions: Deleted User

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is really stupid. A AR Pokemon game for Google Glass/Hololens would be much better if they really wanted to bring Pokemon to the real world.
This is as stupid as that Google maps campaign Pokemon had a few months back.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
And make it double my n**** B-)

To protect the world from devastation!

-----------------------------------------------

Im gonna so get this...

if you see a guy in London jumping about, singing the pokemon theme song, saying "lets do are best next time pikachu"

Flame! That's right!

Reactions: Black-Ice

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This could potentially be cool... with a VR head set. Not using your phone.

I actually think something like Google Glass would be better fit for something like this than VR. When only characters/monsters are popping up in the real world and the entire environment isn't being generated, then I don't see why you'd need or want a giant head piece like the Rift on your head.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really excited for this, it will make my work life more entertaining running around the backroom of target catching Pokemon hiding in the freezers or crawling around the high shelves :P

Two things I am very curious about though.

First, will this replace the possibility of a mainline Pokemon game releasing next year on 3DS? We did not get one this year, I do wonder if this will be our "replacement" for the year, or if it will coincide with the launch of a new Pokemon 3DS game that will have compatibility with Pokemon GO.

My other question is... will there be Shiny encounters..?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt