Pokemon GBA VC deletes saves

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Darthlink9, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Darthlink9
    OP

Darthlink9 GBATemp Resident Heartbreaker

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nearby
    Hai guiz, LaZ here. not really, just ignore my shitty jokes, rough day. anyway, I used UP Randomizer to change the starters and some other things; nothing too major. So I converted my Fire Red into a cia. it installed and played just fine. then I saved, and took a nap. went to load the save, and I get the message "the save file has been deleted..." so, uh, yeah, where'd I go wrong?

2. Fusion Luigi

Fusion Luigi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    Did you set the ROM's save type to SRAM?

3. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Don't set your ROM's save type to SRAM, but do follow the steps here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixes-for-all-gba-pokemons-save-issue-with-agb_firm.390508/

Pokémon makes 128KB save files because it makes two saves, a primary and an emergency backup one. GBA VC mode only supports up to 64KB saves. Use the instructions on that link to set your FireRed ROM to save using the 64KB size saves and the footer to to properly turn it into a CIA that can save.

Darthlink9 likes this.
  4. Darthlink9
    OP

Darthlink9 GBATemp Resident Heartbreaker

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nearby
    Thanks so much, @AnalogMan! I've been applying the SRAM patch to circumvent the 1m Sub circuit error, but I realized where I Effed up due to your post. thanks so much.

5. noctis90210

noctis90210 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2013
    much better if someone could make a gba forwarder for maxim compatibility of game saves specially pokemon core games...
    but i think no one is interested in doing one...

6. Fusion Luigi

Fusion Luigi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    It's not that much extra work so what's the point?

7. noctis90210

noctis90210 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2013
    compatibility, if we patch the game, the save will not be compatible on unpatched game,
    this is hassle for people who import/export save file and play GBA games on both 3ds (patched game) and pc emulator (unpached game).

the save export/import on GBA VC is not user frinedly too, specially for begginers.
    unlike using forwarder (with mGBA engine). a simple copy paste of save to sd card/pc vv is a user friendly way.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
  9. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    Just so you know even if you fix the rom and use the right save type for pokemon emerald it will erase your save after you beat the game the other gen 3 games are fine thoough