Homebrew Pokemon Event Editor - Help Wanted!

jluponeage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I asked a question a few days ago (http://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-in-game-event-editor-for-3ds.431035/). And the answer I got was that there currently wasn't a tool that edited in-game events (like the examples provided in the other thread). So, I want to develop a tool that will do so for Pokemon 3DS games (maybe something similar to XSE for GBA games). I have some experience with C/C++ and Java. The problem is that I have never made a hacking tool before, so I will need some help. If any of you are willing to help me, please PM me with:
  • Coding experience (What languages do you know that might be useful for this project?)
  • What part you want to help with (UI, code, testing)
Note: This project will be open-source.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Not to be a dick, but honestly, you're asking for someone to do the work for you, and I don't agree with this. I think you should start by learning how 3DS development works, and how the events actually are organised, how it actually works.

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be a dick, but honestly, you're asking for someone to do the work for you, and I don't agree with this. I think you should start by learning how 3DS development works, and how the events actually are organised, how it actually works.
pretty much this. Usually the project leader has to put in the most amount of work and research beforehand to see what exactly needa to be done. In this case that would be you. However, it seems like you're being lazy and simply outlining the end goal without any real direction. No one competent will join your group. If anything, they'll make the project themselves if it interested them enough

jluponeage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you even read the part that says I've never made a hacking tool before. Not to mention the fact that I am new to hacking in general. I would be willing to work with and learn from people who are more experienced than me. And I want to use that information and experience to help me make this tool.

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you even read the part that says I've never made a hacking tool before. Not to mention the fact that I am new to hacking in general. I would be willing to work with and learn from people who are more experienced than me. And I want to use that information and experience to help me make this tool.
You want to work with someone using C without knowing any yourself?
Erm... Good luck with that :wink:

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Please. Learn to code before doing anything. "A hacking tool", you call it. Well, learn how the files work, what kind of data is where to start. Making a "hacking tool" or anything else doesn't really matter. A "hacking tool"?... It's a program like any other. Ofc, if you have little knowledge, you won't be able to do it.......

Learn C.
Learn C++.
Learn something.
Study that something.
Code with that something.

Don't ask others to make apps for you (this would essentially be it, as you lack knowledge about this matter).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I said in the post that I know C/C++ and Java
Yet you do not know how to quote...

If you can program, start the project yourself.

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said in the post that I know C/C++ and Java
Glad I'm good at using my glasses...
If you know C/C++, then the best course of action (imho) would be to look at the source code of PKHeX (https://github.com/kwsch/PKHeX), get an understanding on how it modifies, then beginning the project yourself... After you establish a "base" for the tool, it would be easier to request assistance than it would be now

This is coming from someone who doesn't comprehend "Hello World" tho. Good luck with this project ^_^

EDIT; THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I DON'T HAVE COFFEE X_X
PKHeX isn't what you were looking for, but idk what is X_X (PKHeX doesn't have te ability to modify in game events, but it should be a good learning experience)

Last edited by Ricken,
Reactions: gnmmarechal

jluponeage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that I never made a hacking tool before, so I have no idea where to start. I really do have experience in C/C++ and java. Quoting is HTML/JavaScript. This is also stated in the original post.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The problem is that I never made a hacking tool before, so I have no idea where to start. I really do have experience in C/C++ and java. Quoting is HTML/JavaScript. This is also stated in the original post.
Read the source of PkHeX as suggested....

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I just checked the PKHeX source. It is apparently written in C#, so I have a lot of learning to do.
it doesn't matter. Learn what it does and how it does it. It won't be too hard to port it to another language if you know how it works.

Koko-Kun

A Guppy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I asked a question a few days ago (http://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-in-game-event-editor-for-3ds.431035/). And the answer I got was that there currently wasn't a tool that edited in-game events (like the examples provided in the other thread). So, I want to develop a tool that will do so for Pokemon 3DS games (maybe something similar to XSE for GBA games). I have some experience with C/C++ and Java. The problem is that I have never made a hacking tool before, so I will need some help. If any of you are willing to help me, please PM me with:
  • Coding experience (What languages do you know that might be useful for this project?)
  • What part you want to help with (UI, code, testing)
Note: This project will be open-source.
Have you even bothered to look through those events at all with idk a hexeditor or something? The first thing is learning how it's formatted before even worrying about building it like what flags are triggered and your coordinates

Last edited by Koko-Kun,
Reactions: gnmmarechal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @NinStar, Who's whipping who?