Gaming Pokemon event codes vs Pokemon X Y OR AS update patches

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question for those that probably already tested all this.

I have been able to download pokemon events from the net just fine for a year now, still can, but today, I tried to get an event downloaded via code using one of the physical code cards, and it says I have to update the game version to use that for some reason.

I never downloaded the update patches for my latest Pokemon games due to all the mixed info about how updating breaks the ability to use PKHex / QR code browser injection. I never saw clear cut confirmation weather it was just the fact they patched the browser exploit with the system update... OR if the games' actual version update also made you unable to use PKHex / QR code injection.

My question....

If I use httpwn so I can bypass the system update check and have eshop access, then update my Pokemon games themselves (to 1.4 or 1.5, whatever it is now) to use the event codes, can I still use the QR code browser exploit and PKHex to inject pokemon on the latest Pokemon X / Y / OR / AS version updates, or did they change something about the save data in ram so it doesn't work?

My second question...

I also have a separate 9.2 3DS and want to know also if updating the Pokemon games to the newest versions will break my ability to put the carts into the older system without those updates and having it not load the game if I don't have the latest updates installed.

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't anyone know if you can still use the QR code injection on the fully up-to-date Pokemon games if you're still using a system that still has the exploit?

Or if you can use the fully up-to-date games on an older system without the updates without the game telling you it won't load the save file because it isn't the right version or something?

I can't test this at the moment, I figured there'd be plenty of you guys here that already know.

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think with the version stuff they mean system version - I'm pretty sure they patched the browser method of dumping stuff. If you have a way to dump the save then you can do it on the latest versions of each fine, because mine are on 1.4/1.5.

That said if you're on a low enough version you can just get cfw and not have to worry about system versions :P

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that. I use httpwn to use eshop on an old system version so it doesn't force me to update. That being said, that means I can update the games to the latest version without updating my system... so if I just update the games and not the system, keeping my ability to use the QR code injection, I can still do that with the latest updates on the games only?

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Why are you still using QR Code injection?
2) Just use emuNAND to install the updates and collect the events you actually want
3) 1.4 and 1.5 patched the QR Code exploit somehow (this might just be rumors)
4) The only errors I have had from not using an update after playing with an update were all the Battle Resort flags being reset (Just all the chats that happen when you arrive, to avoid spoilers?)

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. because they're physical game carts and it's the easiest method
2. I'm not on emunand on this 3DS, I can use httpwn to download and install the game updates, as stated multiple times.
3. I have not seen ANY post or info saying the game patch itself patched QR code exploiting, only that you have to install the latest firmware to enter eshop to install the game updates and the system update patches the QR code browser exploit.
4. I've not been there anyway.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. because they're physical game carts and it's the easiest method
2. I'm not on emunand on this 3DS, I can use httpwn to download and install the game updates, as stated multiple times.
3. I have not seen ANY post or info saying the game patch itself patched QR code exploiting, only that you have to install the latest firmware to enter eshop to install the game updates and the system update patches the QR code browser exploit.
4. I've not been there anyway.
Anyways, last time I tried using some web injection stuff, nothing happened, which led me to believe that its broken (had all the old files on my sd card, so it should have worked). Worst case, you have to delete the update file (not hard, menu settings > data management > somewhere in there, ill break stuff on my ds if i get near it, so gl finding the update data). You are safe to use updates on another system, as long as you dont use one that is below 6.x sysnand (save decryption is handled on boot of the 3ds, doesnt get changed in emunand). If you are paranoid, just keep a backup of your SD card and your save, and restore if something breaks.

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually made a hardmod nand backup when it was on the last version supporting the web injection, 9.5.0-22.

Everything I'm getting is that it works as long as your 3DS version is still in that range before they updated the browser code to stop the web injection exploit which is what the QR injection used... but I haven't found any solid confirmation that the game updates didn't also break it, or if you can play a cart updated on 1 3DS on a different 3DS without any game updates without it telling you that you must update to play the game. I think SSB4 does that, makes you have to download the updates or it won't load the game in a 3DS without them if you did update it... since the save file was changed to check its own version or something. I heard this, anyway... just don't know if they did that in the pokemon games.

I'm about to just take one of my games and reset it and put it in the other console and see if I can still do it all, but I had hoped there was plenty of others that already did this since a lot of people were staying on a 9.2 3DS to be able to use all that hax stuff including the browser exploit.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue isn't the lack of people to do this, its just that it has basically been made obsolete by homebrew and just save editing. One of the issues with QR codes was that there was a small possibility that you could write a bad egg (mainly people who didnt read ekx and not pkx early on) or using a bad code (which would write to who knows where in ram) then saving and you didn't have a reliable save backup on hand. You also didn't have the ability to do anything offline.

There isn't a point in resetting a game and testing yourself, people have tested this before (it's basically required for cloning by trading) and it works with minimal side effects. As long as you have cfw, you will not get the "you must update to play this game" nag (introduced in like 10.x afaik)

On another note, you can always just install the old browser as long as you aren't on 11.0 (you might be able to modify the version of the browser to work on 11.0, but idk). There is most likely a tutorial somewhere on how to set this up...

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one game I set aside just for doing the QR thing and haven't started anything on it, it's just used to gain event pokemon right now, and it's going to be reset for a certain event I'm going to get a lot of anyway. I wasn't going to install CFW on the main 3DS I use that's linked to my account because I wouldn't really do anything with it right now, that's why I chose to use the quick QR method or quick stuff like homebrew launcher and httpwn just to get specific things done. Only reason I haven't updated this 3DS' firmware yet is because I want to make another hardmod nand backup since it's on the last version where it's still possible to do the firmware downgrade, before that big exploit was fixed.

XDragon2688

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Necro posting... sorry

But my 3ds is on 7.2 and the qr exploit was working just fine. Today it stopped working, browser doesn't crash and it loads a webpage... now I haven't updated since I also use the go.gateway website to play imported games...

Suggestions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, AncientBoi's been kind to me.